T+A 1- bit converters in the PDP-3000HV and DAC 8 DSD

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I do not have balanced inputs on my amp. Will something like this be beneficial between T+A and My amp?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-Tran...193326?hash=item54162b5c6e:g:K2oAAOSwKrhVXQnd

It might help but it might not. You are adding a transformer, lots of connectors, solder joints, wire, another $500 interconnect....yikes. What I am suggesting is to try an xlr to rca adapter and if it sounds better than you can either re-terminate your cable or get a cable that has an xlr female on one end (hooked up with pins one ground and two for hot) and at the other end an rca jack. This way you have no adapter. Usually less stuff sounds better.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Marc...I would be most interested in your impressions having performed the bypass . I am giving serious consideration to this DAC running balanced line output into an ARC Ref10 pre.

Hey Harlequin

I have had this setup in my system. It is a wonderful combination and really superb. What DAC are you using now?

This DAC however does require HQP upsampling to DSD for its best output. I was hoping when I got it that it would "outperform" my MSB and I could pocket some cash but such was not the case BUT it is an awesome DAC and through the REF10 balanced really a winner. I am now using the DAC in my headphone system which just blows me away in balances into a Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Just curious what you are using now. I will say this is the second best DAC I have ever owned and given the price is definitely a best buy!!

We have had our differences in the past. Time to move on.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hey Priaptor.

I am not currently running a DAC, red book CDP only ATM. However I am particully interested in completing an all Ballanced chain as I am currently running Single ended from source to Ref 10.

I have more than enough valves in my system as it stands, without adding more at source, and the T+A ticks a number of boxes, not least a comfortable RRP considering its reported efficacy.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hey Priaptor.

I am not currently running a DAC, red book CDP only ATM. However I am particully interested in completing an all Ballanced chain as I am currently running Single ended from source to Ref 10.

I have more than enough valves in my system as it stands, without adding more at source, and the T+A ticks a number of boxes, not least a comfortable RRP considering its reported efficacy.

My experience with the T&A is extremely positive. Two things to consider is, IMO, balanced out is a must with this DAC and upsampling all to 512DSD is the only way to get the absolute best of what this DAC has to offer. Despite some of the claims to the contrary setting up HQPlayer to do this task is simple. This DAC I have found has a very long burn in factor.

If you aren't willing to do the computer server upsampling to 512 DSD you will not get the DACs magic. Ptretty amazing the reviews it has gotten running straight PCM and DSD without the optimization of upsampling.

To be honest I was initially lukewarm on this DAC until I got the right computer and let the damn thing burn in. I would obviously love to get the SGM but I can't justify the cost for my setup. My Northwest Falcon Tiki works really well. The other great aspect of this DAC as I am finding is that it doesn't appear to be as sensitive to USB inputs as my MSB.

I don't know if they are still hard to find but I recommend it highly as one of those products you can buy without an audition as the market for them is high if you don't like it which I consider unlikely.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I appreciate your insight and your experience of the DAC Priaptor, up sampling to 512 DSD is a mission goal.

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
My incoming preamp is single ended. My Rogue amp has transformer coupled balanced input but still not truly balanced. According to the report, I should be using balanced output of the T+A dac.

Can anyone please suggest the best way to take advantage of the balanced output of the T+A dac when the rest of my system is not balanced?

XLR to RCA cable vs Jensen transformer vs something else?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My incoming preamp is single ended. My Rogue amp has transformer coupled balanced input but still not truly balanced. According to the report, I should be using balanced output of the T+A dac.

Can anyone please suggest the best way to take advantage of the balanced output of the T+A dac when the rest of my system is not balanced?

XLR to RCA cable vs Jensen transformer vs something else?

Which Rogue amp do you have, valve or hypex output section?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I have the Rogue ST 100 which uses KT120 tubes.

Having owned the 88 Magnum and ST90, I can imagine the ST100 sounds very nice! As you say, it uses traffos on the CLR input (unlike my old Medusa, which did them on rca into the balanced UCD modules) so my first instinct would be to try a balanced cable directly from the T+A to take advantage of the galvanic isolation of the traffos. If that is not to your liking, then try an rca cable via the preamp. I would be wary of using two sets of signal traffos to convert from xlr to rca and then back again.

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Appreciate your helpful suggestion! Unfortunately, my incoming preamp (Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S), only has RCA input. So, if I want to keep it in the chain, I've to use RCA throughout i.e. also use the RCA input on my Rogue amp. I don't have a balanced cable lying around right now. Otherwise, while I wait for my preamp to arrive, I could connect the T+A balanced out directly to my Rogue amp.

According to user feedbacks, T+A sounds significantly better through XLR out. Given the rest of my system is single ended, how do I take advantage of T+A balanced signal?

Quadman

Mar 1, 2016
East TN
Try what Ric suggested in post #119. It will keep the preamp in the circuit and it may sound better than RCA. The T+A sounds fine with RCA but does take a big leap with balanced. Unless you hear the two side by each you wouldn't know.

Appreciate your helpful suggestion! Unfortunately, my incoming preamp (Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S), only has RCA input. So, if I want to keep it in the chain, I've to use RCA throughout i.e. also use the RCA input on my Rogue amp. I don't have a balanced cable lying around right now. Otherwise, while I wait for my preamp to arrive, I could connect the T+A balanced out directly to my Rogue amp.

According to user feedbacks, T+A sounds significantly better through XLR out. Given the rest of my system is single ended, how do I take advantage of T+A balanced signal?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015

Essentially you can't have your cake and eat it. Will need to chose between balanced directly and Rca via the preamp. That said, the performance of the attenuator on the T+A dac is compromised by having a chip in the signal path to drive the headphone jack and you may get better SQ overall by using rca via your new preamp.

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Try what Ric suggested in post #119. It will keep the preamp in the circuit and it may sound better than RCA. The T+A sounds fine with RCA but does take a big leap with balanced. Unless you hear the two side by each you wouldn't know.

Thank you Quadman! According to Ric, it works best when the balanced output of the dac has summing circuit. Any idea if that applies to T+A balanced out?

Ric also wrote "you might want to try a xlr to rca cable that has an xlr on one end that has just pins one and two connected and leave pin three unconnected and an rca on the end going to the load."

Right now, I have a HiDiamond D7 RCA interconnect that does make a difference in my system compare to other cheaper interconnect I tried before. How can I get my hands on a quality XLR to RCA cable where the RCA end has the pins one and two connected like Ric recommended?

Quadman

Mar 1, 2016
East TN
No I do not know for sure if the T+A has a "summing Circuit" my guess since the difference is clearly audible is that it does. You can try a Balanced to RCA adaptor first and see if there is a difference. If there is and it is positive then someone can make you a balanced to RCA cable, or reterminate your existing RCA cable.

Thank you Quadman! According to Ric, it works best when the balanced output of the dac has summing circuit. Any idea if that applies to T+A balanced out?

Ric also wrote "you might want to try a xlr to rca cable that has an xlr on one end that has just pins one and two connected and leave pin three unconnected and an rca on the end going to the load."

Right now, I have a HiDiamond D7 RCA interconnect that does make a difference in my system compare to other cheaper interconnect I tried before. How can I get my hands on a quality XLR to RCA cable where the RCA end has the pins one and two connected like Ric recommended?

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
I would not jump on the Jensen just yet. Sometimes that can add more problems then solve. I have an extra balanced cable I am not using at the moment and I also have a pair of Cardas XLR to RCA and a pair of Cardas RCA to XLR adapters, also not using ATM, I would be happy let you try. These are his top of the line adapters called Clear. CG XLR Rhodium contact surfaces. Pure, non- magnetic, eutectic billet Brass, Gold and Rhodium over Silver platings. These connectors have a unique end shielding technique that blocks RF and Clock signal. http://www.cardas.com/adaptors.php Cardas (Purist Audio too) would most likely make what you would need.

I would be happy to bring my cable and adapter to your place for you to try if you would like.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
COME HEAR T+A DAC 8 DSD and SOUND GALLERIES SGM 2015 MUSIC SERVER LIVE

This is an open invitation to anyone that is interested to hear the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 music server and the T+A DAC 8 DSD. I will be showcasing them in my home system in Nutley, NJ 07110 on Dec 11th 2016.

This will be during the NJ Audiophile Society Holiday Party which is being held at the Clubhouse in the private community that I live in. You will be welcomed to check out both.

You will be asked to first stop at the Clubhouse to wait for the next available seating at my house, which is next door. Arrival time will be 4:00-6:00PM but no one will be rushed out the door.

Anyone who is interested PM and I will give you the info. Seating may be limited depending on the response but I will endeavor to accommodate everyone.

Besides the above my system consists of the following: B+W 802D; Merrill Audio Veritas Amps; Interconnect and speaker cables by Merrill Audio; High Fidelity Cables power cables and power conditioning; Anti-vibration under all equipment and speakers by Stillpoints.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
I would not jump on the Jensen just yet. Sometimes that can add more problems then solve. I have an extra balanced cable I am not using at the moment and I also have a pair of Cardas XLR to RCA and a pair of Cardas RCA to XLR adapters, also not using ATM, I would be happy let you try. These are his top of the line adapters called Clear. CG XLR Rhodium contact surfaces. Pure, non- magnetic, eutectic billet Brass, Gold and Rhodium over Silver platings. These connectors have a unique end shielding technique that blocks RF and Clock signal. http://www.cardas.com/adaptors.php Cardas (Purist Audio too) would most likely make what you would need.

I would be happy to bring my cable and adapter to your place for you to try if you would like.

Thats so generous of you, Al! Going to send you a PM soon

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not jump on the Jensen just yet. Sometimes that can add more problems then solve (...)

Sometimes loading DACs or output stages having very low output impedance directly with transformers results in poor transient behavior or oscillations. This situation can be usually solved fitting two resistors in series with the outputs, typically a value between 50 and 300 ohms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing