suitable table for high mass FR64S

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I have just acquired a Fidelity Research FR64S tone arm. Just wondering what type of TT can bring the best out of this high mass arm. Cart used is a Koetsu Blue Azule. My current table is a suspended table. I worry the high mass arm is not the best match. Any insights ? Non suspended high mass table ? Idler type table ? Non suspended non high mass table ? or suspended table will work just fine ?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have just acquired a Fidelity Research FR64S tone arm. Just wondering what type of TT can bring the best out of this high mass arm. Cart used is a Koetsu Blue Azule. My current table is a suspended table. I worry the high mass arm is not the best match. Any insights ? Non suspended high mass table ? Idler type table ? Non suspended non high mass table ? or suspended table will work just fine ?
Micro Seiki would be a good fit.

Reactions: ALF

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
They work really well on a Nottingham Analogue Turntable

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What suspended table? If the suspension is adjustable for the added weight bias of the tonearm then fine (example: Motus II) If not then...

Congrats on the 64s. Not perfect but seems to be able to work with almost any cart, and famously well with many. If you don't have on start looking for a b60 vta base. There are replicas...some better than others.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you all for the suggestions. Will investigate. My suspended table is the Avid Acutus SP. Adjustments possible.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Nice arm and surprisingly versatile. I have one with the B60 base. Traditionally designed for the Micro Seiki era, however, I have seen them successfully implemented on an Oracle which has provisions to adjust for weight.

You will get many opinions. With vintage you generally have to buy and try. Execution of a good idler is as difficult as execution of a good belt or DD.

Good luck with it. The Koetsu makes a nice combo if you get everything correct. There's something about the FR and Koetsu that is great.

IMG_1821.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yep. I have mine on a restored Technics SP10MK2 and is a nice synergy imho (table known to be a little dry...arm known for a little bloom...nice budget combo!

Last edited:

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
Nice arm and surprisingly versatile. I have one with the B60 base. Traditionally designed for the Micro Seiki era, however, I have seen them successfully implemented on an Oracle which has provisions to adjust for weight.

You will get many opinions. With vintage you generally have to buy and try. Execution of a good idler is as difficult as execution of a good belt or DD.

Good luck with it. The Koetsu makes a nice combo if you get everything correct. There's something about the FR and Koetsu that is great.

View attachment 68205

Kcin: You don't credit your Acoustical Systems ARCHÉ head shell in your system list. Must be a nice combo with the FR64s. How many do you use? Is there an acoustical price to be paid for removable head shells?

OTE]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing