spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"Not for human consumption"

Reactions: christoph

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here is some Bach. I find this music very difficult to reproduce because there is so much harmonic content and energy with trumpet, organ, viola deGamba, and harpsichord. I don't know what happened with the orientation of the second video. I think they sound best over YouTube.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here is some Bach. I find this music very difficult to reproduce because there is so much harmonic content and energy with trumpet, organ, viola deGamba, and harpsichord. I don't know what happened with the orientation of the second video. I think they sound best over YouTube.

WHat is the Bach/Trumpet piece exactly?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Based on a couple of comments from friends, I did some fine tuning and here is a second video of that same Bach Viola de Gamba and Harpsichord recording. I think it is better but I don't know if people will be able to hear the differences over their computers/headphones. Listen via YouTube for best sonics. This is a kind of acid test recording for me as it is difficult to get the timbre right. I found that cartridge set up, speaker position, and cables/power cords made a big difference here, at least in my system.

Reactions: Al M. and ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Based on a couple of comments from friends, I did some fine tuning and here is a second video of that same Bach Viola de Gamba and Harpsichord recording. I think it is better but I don't know if people will be able to hear the differences over their computers/headphones. Listen via YouTube for best sonics. This is a kind of acid test recording for me as it is difficult to get the timbre right. I found that cartridge set up, speaker position, and cables/power cords made a big difference here, at least in my system.

I do feel "calmer" listening to this one than one in #2,263. Not to say #2,263 sounds inferior. They are just different. It is great to be able to cater a different sound from your system to different visitors preference. You are the chef now Peter.

I think this video of my system bear some resemblance to yours although not playing same song.

Sorry for posting my video on your system thread. It is just to give you conveniency in listening. I think you know which aspect of presentation seem to bear resemblance. I could make the presentation more flashy like your #2,263 too if I want but I like it as is. It is fun to know how to tune the sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do feel "calmer" listening to this one than one in #2,263. Not to say #2,263 sounds inferior. They are just different. It is great to be able to cater a different sound from your system to different visitors preference. You are the chef now Peter.

I think this video of my system bear some resemblance to yours although not playing same song.

Sorry for posting my video on your system thread. It is just to give you conveniency in listening. I think you know which aspect of presentation seem to bear resemblance. I could make the presentation more flashy like your #2,263 too if I want but I like it as is. It is fun to know how to tune the sound.

You have a brilliant LP of Anne Chaplin on Bach harpsichord, why don't you play it with both vdh and Opus and put up the videos. The difference on that with vdh is quite remarkable

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You have a brilliant LP of Anne Chaplin on Bach harpsichord, why don't you play it with both vdh and Opus and put up the videos. The difference on that with vdh is quite remarkable

Ked, how would you describe the difference? Does one cartridge do a better job of reproducing the complex harmonics in a more natural way?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Peter, the harpsichord sounds better to me in the second video. What kind of system tweaks did you make from the first video?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice sounding videos, Peter. When I visited you recently you played that Grant Green track. The tonal balance of what I'm hearing on video is different from what I remember when I was there. The video sounds more open in the highs while in person it was darker. But that's to be expected with an iPhone microphone.

Reactions: ddk and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice sounding videos, Peter. When I visited you recently you played that Grant Green track. The tonal balance of what I'm hearing on video is different from what I remember when I was there. The video sounds more open in the highs while in person it was darker. But that's to be expected with an iPhone microphone.

Thank you Ian. Sound has changed since you were here. It’s always a work in progress. More evidence is the Bach harpsichord recording. The first one is the state of the system when you were here the second one is after additional fine-tuning. Most people prefer the second harpsichord video. I must say it is interesting that these differences can be heard via iPhone videos.

To my ears, the big difference since you were last here is the naturalness and fullness of the bass. The removal of more absorption from the room has helped in this area as well as better tonearm adjustment.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Here you can clearly see the hand-painted "GC" designation for his Grand Cru model illustrating the handbuilt, individual work of art nature of AJ vd Hul's designs. Of my two arms and five cartridges, this 3012R/GC is now my favorite arm/cartridge combination I own.

View attachment 71996
I haven't see any other GCs with letters inscribed on them like yours.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I haven't see any other GCs with letters inscribed on them like yours.

david

That is interesting David. I have two cartridges with “GC“ painted on the front in gold paint.

The very first Grand Cru was sent to Australia for a brief review and promotional photograph and that also has the GC on the front.

Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing