Strange Fruit - Nina Simone

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

So, I am working on things in the office tonight and my wife, Kim is watching this show called, "Cold Case". I have mentioned to her before that I dig her watching this as I am working because the songs they play are well, pretty cool. Most of them anyways.

So, tonight I am listening to this one song and I mentioned to her that I would LOVE to hear this song on the rig. It was soft, I honestly (and so did she) thought that it was a man singing but I was really interested in finding out who this singer was. The tune was right up my alley for some mood music (audiophile style).

Come to find out that it actually was a woman singing and this was verified by the video. Have any of you ever heard of her before and if there is a recording that is sought after or one that you would recommend by her? I am ALL ears. I really dug what sample I heard tonight. Talk to me.

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ne me quitte pas in a system that costs less than one cable in the kharma system

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Pardon me Tom. As an an African -American I do not consider "Strange Fruit "as entertainment
Rather itis a haunting account of this country' state sponsored terrorism(lynching). It is painful to listen to. It reminds us what can happen when we turn our back on evil.
I am a long time fan of her lighter fare. iirc she was an expatriate from North Carolina. She attended Juilliard and was a civil rights worker.
Some of my favorite
Put a little more sugar in my bowl
Sinner man
Let it be me.
Put a spell on you that also the title of her biography.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Her live in Montreux and Pastel Blues Mono from 1965 are well known but a bit expensive. You will get some good records of her in the Philips catalog that willbe more reasonable priced

Reactions: Gregadd

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Pardon me Tom. As an an African -American I do not consider "Strange Fruit "as entertainment
Rather itis a haunting account of this country' state sponsored terrorism(lynching). It is painful to listen to. It reminds us what can happen when we turn our back on evil.
I agree with you, but this appalling episode (a very protracted episode) in US history should not be discarded as "history" and forgotten. Strange Fruit is a sorrowful song reminding, not just the US but the so called civilised world that slavery and subsequent treatment of black people was something the rest of us should be ashamed of, although unlawful lynchings (the subject of this song) were confined to the US as far as I know.

Nina Simone's version predated another version that I first heard - the one by Cassandra Wilson on New Moon Daughter. We should listen to the words as well as admire the sincere and very different moving performances of this song. Billie Holiday originally recorded it in 1939.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Pardon me Tom. As an an African -American I do not consider "Strange Fruit "as entertainment <snip>
Admittedly, I did not listen to the words. I was at my desk listening to the music....the way it sounded. Thank you for that though. Now the song has meaning. I had never heard this before and I liked what I heard (again, not paying any attention to the words).

The same thing happened to me when I was listening to "Jacob's Dream" by Alison Krauss. I initially liked the music but the song took on a whole other meaning when I actually paid attention to the words.

The power of music can be very moving. Thanks again, sir.

Tom

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Another pain song of Nina Simone that I love, four women :

Reactions: Eichenbaum

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Admittedly, I did not listen to the words. I was at my desk listening to the music....the way it sounded. Thank you for that though. Now the song has meaning. I had never heard this before and I liked what I heard (again, not paying any attention to the words).

The same thing happened to me when I was listening to "Jacob's Dream" by Alison Krauss. I initially liked the music but the song took on a whole other meaning when I actually paid attention to the words.

The power of music can be very moving. Thanks again, sir.

Tom
No problem Tom. At your leisure you might sample the original sample with Billie Holiday.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ne me quitte pas in a system that costs less than one cable in the kharma system

One more ne me quitte Pas. Now we have three

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Act of terrorism

You will note the song does not describe a lynching.
Often guilty of little more than disrespect a hooded mob appeared at night with a burning cross. The victim vas dragged off for hanging.
That was not enough. Frequently they were also tarred and feathered. Then they were doused with gasoline and set afire. The body was left as a warning to others.
I think this thread should be closed.
We can give Nina Simone a proper tribute somewhere else.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Act of terrorism

You will note the song does not describe a lynching.
Often guilty of little more than disrespect a hooded mob appeared at night with a burning cross. The victim vas dragged off for hanging.
That was not enough. Frequently they were also tarred and feathered. Then they were doused with gasoline and set afire. The body was left as a warning to others.
I think this thread should be closed.
We can give Nina Simone a proper tribute somewhere else.
"Mississippi Goddamn"

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
OMG. The song "Strange Fruit" is legendary. It does not technically describe a lynching but the "strange fruit" hanging from the poplar tree are indeed black bodies that were lynched. Billie Holiday was famous for singing the song under the constant threat of being arrested, which she was on occasion when she sung it, particularly in the South as a defiant act of protest. This song was the original Civil Rights song long before there was a Civil Rights movement. I saw Cécile McLorin Salvant (MacArthur Genius Award winner) sing this at Jazz at Lincoln Center a few years ago and it totally ruined my evening as I didn't know the song or it's history. I never want to hear it again...by anyone. The song was featured in the 2021 movie "The United States Vs. Billie Holiday" where Andra Day knocked it out of the park in her Oscar nominated performance for best actress.

Reactions: Gregadd and bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nina Simone was a great artist.

Strange Fruit was an important musical piece for its content and timing, famously sung by another great artist, Billie Holiday in 1939.

According to wiki the song was written by Abel Meeropol from his protest-poem of the same name, published in 1937. Billie Holiday and others may have helped with musical arrangement.

Given the content, great care is appropriate in discussion.

Forgetting about the work, or obscuring its discussion, seems an odd way to honor its intention imho.

Granted WBF may not be the place for serious topics around art.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Amazing song? . I also love "feelin good" from her what a voice.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Nina Simone was a great artist.

Strange Fruit was an important musical piece for its content and timing, famously sung by another great artist, Billie Holiday in 1939.

According to wiki the song was written by Abel Meeropol from his protest-poem of the same name, published in 1937. Billie Holiday and others may have helped with musical arrangement.

Given the content, great care is appropriate in discussion.

Forgetting about the work, or obscuring its discussion, seems an odd way to honor its intention imho.

Granted WBF may not be the place for serious topics around art.
I respect and appreciate your position.
When I was in college I had actual lynching described me and the student body. A bhaintinh 3xpereince that still recall some forty years later

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
How Nina sounds on my system is one of my top concerns. I love her music so much. In some ways I think my system is in service to her message. I've rejected a lot of equipment that I've felt blunts the emotion and her message. The other two artists that have almost equal sway are Billie Holiday and and Roberta Flack. I am a strange fruit after all.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing