State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Reactions: marty
“There is a marked difference between having enthusiasm for one's approach vs. claiming absolute superiority of one's approach and/or in the process putting down other approaches, as some do.”

Quite … Perhaps Mr andromeda might reflect upon those words of insight.

Reactions: nirodha
Might be easier to keep your preferences for what reproduced music should sound like, and change friends! ;)
Haha Marty, luckily audio is not as tribal as football team support. Now THAT can make or break things.

“There is a marked difference between having enthusiasm for one's approach vs. claiming absolute superiority of one's approach and/or in the process putting down other approaches, as some do.”

Quite … Perhaps Mr andromeda might reflect upon those words of insight.

You re right the horn crowd brings out the worst in me , lol.

Afaik its clear which tribe started this Hifi "superiority " war and the name starts with an H

Last edited:
I am referring to the discourse, that which is actually written and expressed in the posts. I’m not talking about what is inside people’s minds.
I think you only need to look at the next few posts after yours that I quote, to see my point even more clearly :confused:

I understand your point, but my post referred mainly to the recording activity, that predates the playback and can't be fully reversed by the playback system.

In fact your words "The recording engineer can choose to aim to capture the true context and spirit of the performance" trigger my usual comment - what is meant by the true context and spirit of the performance"? Recreating the closest thing to a close up of the facsimile of just the sound experience (the closed eyes experience) or recreating the full experience of the concert, visually and socially enhanced? Should the sound engineer aim at the experienced concert goer or to the general public?
The creative directions taken in the process of recording can involve a variable range of stakeholders… the performers, the label, the engineers and so there is often collaboration but ultimately a process that creates artistic direction. But if they are all music lovers and also concert goers (classical, jazz, rock etc) then the experience of listening to music live is something that may likely inform what they choose to aim for in their recording. Either way there are plenty of musicians and recording labels and producers and engineers that do seem to be able to drive the attempt to allow the music through in a way that reflects the best experience of the music and that may well be informed also by the context of their experiences in live music.

Honestly, I don’t see this. Are you exaggerating to make your point? I remember being criticized about my old main stream system of SME and Pass and Magico. People used to criticize Magico speakers regularly on this site. I enjoyed my system and I shared my progress freely as it improved with better set up. I actually described it as sounding more natural after the changes. I shared videos of the progress not to prove anything but simply to share the progress I was making for those people who were interested.

There might be some banter on these contentious threads, and people certainly take things seriously, even personally, but I think generally the level of discourse is quite respectful. I find the recent broader range of approaches and opinions very welcome.

I’m sorry you feel interrupted and that AndroMeda feels hassled. Do you suggest members should temper their enthusiasm for their approach and values so as to make others feel more comfortable? How do you think we should modify these discussions moving forward?
(Edit +1 Peter, in full agreement)… there’s always been tribes in this hobby, from amp, source format and speaker type down to specific brands. Why the beat up on any group who are just expressing their love for certain approaches is beyond me. Sure if people want to constantly aggressively go at other people’s choices negatively then the battles of swords and torches is a likely follow on. However because people are sharing positively what they are doing then for others who just prefer other gear to complain about that is maybe just not the best aspect of our culture.

If discussion is happening within ways that fit within the scope of threads so that people are reflecting on their experiences and making positive contributions and we are building culture and opening up understanding then if there are developing and shifting trends in topics perhaps that is the way things just find their way forward.

Surely if any want to share and drive their specific area of topic or gear love then go for it. It will either take and develop or it won’t. But to whinge because others want to discuss something that they have found meaningful for them (and simply others haven’t) isn’t really that valid. I’d add that the carry on does seem to be becoming something of a scapegoating beat up at any rate. So much drama so little time :eek:.

For me the big opportunity is to better develop specific understanding as to why different people find different approaches to be best for them. Defining the underlying nature in our preferences rather than just battling away with the I’m right you’re wrong approach. That may actually increase our mutual understanding and also of the why within us.

Last edited:
Yes but a very long time ago...comparable to 12-15k monitor today. Odeon, Horns Universum, some Avantgarde, Lansche Goa and Cubus, some Blumenhofer, some Dynamikks, Aries Cerat, some old Altec and JBL, my own DIY system with Supravox in TQWT with Beyma compression drivers and a couple different horn mid-highs.
I'm not sure how you arrive at "12-15k" today. Based on the inflation rate, $5k Canadian in 2005 would be worth about...$5.5k US today.

You re right the horn crowd brings out the worst in me , lol.

Afaik its clear which tribe started this Hifi "superiority " war and the name starts with an H

I guess there are bullhorns, and there are horn bullies.

Haha Marty, luckily audio is not as tribal as football team support. Now THAT can make or break things.
Marc, in the US, that's true! But in the UK, if you're referring to the sport where they kick around a ball with their feet, we don't even know what that is, or why anyone cares!! :eek:

However, somewhat surprisingly, it does seem it's about 10X more popular than "real"football!!

And we won't even try to understand why Cricket is popular. Games that last 3 days and whose rules nobody understands makes no sense to us at all! Makes audio easy to understand by comparison.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.09.07 PM.png

Last edited:
And we won't even try to understand why Cricket is popular. Games that last 3 days and whose rules nobody understands makes no sense to us at all! Makes audio easy to understand by comparison.
5 days. There used to be a rest day in the middle but they stopped that so it's 5 continuous days.

Because you have time to go home, have a nap, argue incessantly on WBF, and make it back without any change in the score.

Reactions: Pokey77 and marty
Snooze. This thread was semi-interesting, but after devolving into Cricket it has reached the bottom.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and marty
I'm not sure how you arrive at "12-15k" today. Based on the inflation rate, $5k Canadian in 2005 would be worth about...$5.5k US today.
They are from the early 90s and inflation is far higher than your example

1651905233487.png

I think Al deleted his post, but when this came up on my latest activity feed I thought wow, Al's video comments are finally beginning to make some sense

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.
But in the UK, if you're referring to the sport where they kick around a ball with their feet, we don't even know what that is, or why anyone cares!! :eek:

However, somewhat surprisingly, it does seem it's about 10X more popular than "real"football!!

I've never understood why Americans call their football "football". Of course the real football, i.e., soccer, is 10 x more popular.

Needless to say, I only watch real football.

Last edited:
View attachment 92563

I think Al deleted his post, but when this came up on my latest activity feed I thought wow, Al's video comments are finally beginning to make some sense

Yeah, that comes when you hit the post button prematurely by accident. At least I had the good sense of deleting right away (better than "Cofveve", for sure).

I guess you sometimes post bad sounding videos prematurely :D. Perhaps you should think twice before you hit the post button ;).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing