SSP's

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Me think that the Integra DHC-80-2 Surround Processor is one of the very best value out there;

It is the steal in SSP's. And the improvement from the previous Audyssey filter granularity to X-32 is truly amazing.

I can directly compare the bass ringing reduction (in a very well treated room) of the 80.2 for two channel to that of the much more expensive TacT 2.2XP and the winner is easily discernible. Once I get time, I will run some tests (using XTZ) and show the comparisons.

If someone were to put Audyssey on a higher end hardware platform, (with some enhancements to Audyssey Pro), it would be hard to beat.

The ADA requires an external box for room correction and will be north of $20,000 for both (and double conversion as well).

The $20,000 CB III has ZERO room correction

The AP20 with Dirac Live is not yet a fully fleshed out product (no bass management and missing a few other things)

I supposed the high end Denon piece may be better (at 3 times the price) but how much better?

SSP 800 room correction is a bunch of PEQ's and is in my experience FAR less than the best approach given other time based technologies

Lexicon is not yet available

Meridian - no personal experience and very expensive

What other option are there with time-based room correction?

I recognize that the Integra hardware platform may not be the HIGHEST end but the 80.2 with Audyssey, for all of it's shortcomings is still a heck of a deal.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Got a baby due in August, so I gotta ask... Is the DHC-80.2 really worth twice as much as the Marantz AV7005? They have the same room correction, right?
They do not have the same RC (see next quote) but the Integra is not twice the price of the Marantz.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32, with over 10,000 filters!

The Marantz AV7005 has only Audyssey MultEQ XT with hundreds of filters, and much less in the satellite speakers.
And the Marantz is not THX Ultra2 Plus certified, and it ain't video ISF certified either.

...And few more things...
And I don't think the Marantz has Audyssey HT Sub EQ (for multiple subs EQ). But I might be wrong.
You are not wrong. HT SubEQ goes with XT32.

If someone were to put Audyssey on a higher end hardware platform, (with some enhancements to Audyssey Pro), it would be hard to beat.
That would be nice.

I supposed the high end Denon piece may be better (at 3 times the price) but how much better?
The Denon will not have HDMI v1.4 or XT32 until the end of the year.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Was just told the Integra DHC-40.3 is in production and the 80.3 will be out later this summer. I don't see much info about it, what's changing? All I see is multi-room 5.1. Also, a 90.3?? What will that be like?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Chuck,

I have the Integra 80.2 too. The noise it puts out when there is no input signal may be down to the poor grounding. I found that sorting out the grounding externally cuts the noise down to almost zero. I ended up with all digital audio on optical before I could eliminate the hissing and spitting.

I recently purchased the APS1050 (battery backed power conditioner) for my front end equipment and the noise went away!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Was just told the Integra DHC-40.3 is in production and the 80.3 will be out later this summer. I don't see much info about it, what's changing? All I see is multi-room 5.1. Also, a 90.3?? What will that be like?

Stay tuned, it should be dynamite! :) ...I know that they will add that new feature from Audyssey regarding the 'Subwoofer Dynamic Compensation' or some' like that.

And my guess is that the top models will finally be able to do 11.2-channel simultaneously.
* This year's models can only do 9.2-channel simultaneously.
But Denon has three receivers I believe that can do 11.1 (4310CI & 4810CI) and 11.2-channel (4311CI).
I say 11.1 because the 4810CI with three sub outs is still only a mono sub audio signal (the same signal is present in the three sub outputs).

*** A DHC-90.3!!! :cool:

Kal, thanks for the confirmation regarding Audyssey HT Sub EQ being not available in the Marantz AV7005 pre/pro. :)

And about the Denon AVR-5308CI A/V receiver and the AVP-A1HDCI surround processor and their upgrade to Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey DSX width- and height-enhanced listening modes, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz height-enhanced listening mode; Denon's factory service centers will start the retrofits in October, and the cost is $1,100 from what I've heard!

joshuar

May 29, 2011
DHC-40.3 availability date?

Any idea roughly when the DHC-40.3 will be available?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Any idea roughly when the DHC-40.3 will be available?

Usually new Onkyo/Integra products come starting late Spring (budget products), Summer (mid products) & Fall (top guns).
In this case here (Integra pre/pro), my guess is Summer. And the bigger guns in the Fall.

* Hey your first post! Welcome to What's Best! :)

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
For anyone holding out for the AV7005 from Marantz or stuff from Denon - the earthquake in Japan has disrupted supply. I know AV7005 is out of stock in most retailers and at the distributor level too :( and since Denon and Marantz are same company the same is true of Denon too. July sometime is the ETA for new stock.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Found a Integra DHC-80.1, used, and I'm hoping he'll take $1125 delivered. Should I hold out for a deal on the .2 when the .3 comes out? Audyssey MultEQ XT vs MultEQ XT32 worth waiting a few month for?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Found a Integra DHC-80.1, used, and I'm hoping he'll take $1125 delivered. Should I hold out for a deal on the .2 when the .3 comes out? Audyssey MultEQ XT vs MultEQ XT32 worth waiting a few month for?

IMHO, yes.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Thanks, Kal! Any word on if the difference between .3 and .2 will be similar?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Primare AV Processor?

Has anybody had any experience with the above? A customer of mine who is a newbie audiophile was interested in it. I recommended the Integra DHC 80.2 as I have the 80.1 but he said that the Primare was much better. He doesn't use any of the room correction facilities and only requires switching, HDMI audio, etc.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
I wound up getting the 80.1 for $1151 delivered. In the end, economics and needs of the family won out (new baby due in August, need new tires, new fence, new deck, new roof, etc). Plus I just knew if I'd popped for the .2, everyone would say the .3 is the must have when it comes out. And then the .4.... Decided it just made the most sense to go for the .1 and I'll upgrade again later... Like to the .5 or 6 or 7. Dang Integra anyway for putting out a new "omg, must have" every year! And I love them for it too. Sigh...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wound up getting the 80.1 for $1151 delivered. In the end, economics and needs of the family won out (new baby due in August, need new tires, new fence, new deck, new roof, etc). Plus I just knew if I'd popped for the .2, everyone would say the .3 is the must have when it comes out. And then the .4.... Decided it just made the most sense to go for the .1 and I'll upgrade again later... Like to the .5 or 6 or 7. Dang Integra anyway for putting out a new "omg, must have" every year! And I love them for it too. Sigh...

You will luv it! :)

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
You will luv it! :)

Thank you! I've had it for a couple weeks now and I DO love it. I had the Anthem AVM30 previously and I read a few random forum posts out there that said the AVM30 is better than the .1, but not the .2, so I agonized a bit over the decision. But I'm finding I like it more than the AVM30. Maybe I'm just not that good at calibrating stuff. I like the Dolby PLIIx for 2-channel music and the network audio playback of Flac files from my home AV server. One thing about the Integra that's disappointed me is the phono stage. I got this one back in 2009 and I was hoping I could sell it to offset the cost of the Integra, but I prefer it to the Integra:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00106E67G

Also, not so fond of the loud clicking everytime I skip a comercial on the DVR or change the channel or advance to the next song. But I love the video upscaling, it's got me interested in my laserdisc collection again!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hey Clayton,

You are learning the pros & cons from your new product; that's very good as it gives you first-hand experience in the process of electronics in the life on Earth! :)
I mean some are better and some are worst; and money is more or less a player, really!

The year is 2011 and there is so much to discover out there; Good and Bad!
{The Integra DHC-80.1 falls in the first category.}

You won't find a state-of-the-art Phono section in this type of product; you should have known that. But it is serviceable, better than the ones in most (all) receivers out there.
And when changing channels from your TV cable box, you can blame your TV programmer in the first place, always!
Other products migh have a different implementation that can suit you more or less better, but then you'll lose on other features!

It's all about compromises, and the ones you're willing to live with (same with women).
But you already knew that!

Cheers & Enjoy your new toy, with all the goods and the lesser... :)

Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing