Splitting line level signal - do XLR/RCA splitters cause problems?

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
All:

My current configuration requires sending the same line level signal to both my main amp as well as my active subwoofers, and I was wondering what the simplest option is, if I were to use the signal from the same output (in my case the line level output of a DAC with volume control). I have not been able to find a definitive answer to this question, and was wondering if members on this forum have any advice to give. The gear in question is line out from Chord Dave, going to a 845 based SET (Viva Aurora) and a pair of JL Audio Gotham v2s. I know Dave has two line level outputs (RCA and XLR), which I currently use in parallel, but I wanted to explore using a single output. Also, while Dave seems to be okay with both its outputs being used at the same time (based on discussions on Head-fi), I wanted to get an answer for other DACs that don't like both balanced and SE outputs being used at the same time.

Thanks!
Anil

tkoslek

Oct 15, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I have used some custom made Audioquest XLR splitters in the past and listened critically after placing them in the system. I did not detect any loss or degradation. If you contact them directly they will make whatever level of splitters you would like!

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
I have used some custom made Audioquest XLR splitters in the past and listened critically after placing them in the system. I did not detect any loss or degradation. If you contact them directly they will make whatever level of splitters you would like!
Thanks for confirming, @tkoslek. It's good to know that splitting did not impact the quality of the source, which is where I assume any potential issues would be.

Anil

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
All:

My current configuration requires sending the same line level signal to both my main amp as well as my active subwoofers, and I was wondering what the simplest option is, if I were to use the signal from the same output (in my case the line level output of a DAC with volume control). I have not been able to find a definitive answer to this question, and was wondering if members on this forum have any advice to give. The gear in question is line out from Chord Dave, going to a 845 based SET (Viva Aurora) and a pair of JL Audio Gotham v2s. I know Dave has two line level outputs (RCA and XLR), which I currently use in parallel, but I wanted to explore using a single output. Also, while Dave seems to be okay with both its outputs being used at the same time (based on discussions on Head-fi), I wanted to get an answer for other DACs that don't like both balanced and SE outputs being used at the same time.

Thanks!
Your 845 SETs won't benefit from balanced (XLR) connection as they are by definition Single Ended. So use your DAC's (or preamp's) line level RCA phono out sockets to connect to the SET amp and its balanced sockets to connect to the subs. Both should be equally adjusted by the volume control.

Answering your Subject question, reasonable quality XLR Y splitters are perfectly acceptable, but remember they come in 2 varieties - female to 2 x male and male to 2 x female.

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks, I was asking about situations where there's only one output (either SE or balanced); my current DAC (not Dave) happens to just have one set of XLR outputs. I actually ended up getting a pair of Jensen mono speaker to line level converters optimized for subwoofer (ISO-MAX JT-SS-XX). I don't have a good way to compare with other options, but I definitely like them.

Anil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing