Spectral DMA260 vs. other fast amps

And why shouldn't Spectral be paired with magico?

@Caesar

I disagree with your point of view. Steve's system sounds great but if the material is not good it simply presents you what is on the recording ... Forgiving I am not sure his system is . As a mater of fact I don't see a forgiving system as a positive ... Just the message is what I want to hear nothing added and nothing substracted ... On those points I do find that Spectral delivers... I have not heard CJ for a while , need to refresh my memory, I liked them and loved their MV-75 of yore ...

Frantz, I agree wholeheartedly with you on Spectral. I would not hesitate for one second pairing Spectral with Magico. Oh, and CJ is absolutely the real deal. IMO CJ should be on everyone's short list for preamps and slightly, but ever so slightly, longer list for amps.

Caesar

You are correct in that I just love music. I simply have never given tubes much consideration since I am put off a bit by the maintenance issue and because of a reputation for a super-saturated 'warm' sound. I should probably go listen some more. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near credible audio shops so audition opportunities are limited. I was able to audition my speakers thanks to a family wedding on the opposite coast.

Frantz

Would any Burmester have the same qualities? I would probably have to settle for the 965 or 030.

MEM

When it comes to Burmester, you will find me almost a fanatic. My experience with Burmester began many years ago when one of my best friends and i stumbled on a diminutive but extremely well made amplifier driving a speaker I can't remember at a Stereophile show in 1989 or 1990 . They were the 878. He acquired one to drive its B&W 801. My friend which up to then was into changing amps seemingly every other week stopped entirely, simply adding another 878 (they could be wired mono) .. He then moved toward a whoel Burmester system save for the speakers ... I heard this system almost every week for long listening sessins... I pitted my amplifers against his and found out that his pleased me better ... Finally I gave up after 5 years!! and gor my own Burmester system, I compared the Burmester to a slew of brands (SS or Tubes) in my system and prefered the Burmester ... So I am sold and will likely not move away from Burmester, if price is not the issue ...
I have heard most of them and would tell you that the 965 is very, very good. I would however advise you to look for used 911 because they pop up from time to timeon Audiogon and they are extremely reliable. I personally prefer a pair of bridged 965 to one 911 but it is only me...
Burmester owners are a very satisfied lot. They acquire and keep for years, many years ...

MEM

When it comes to Burmester, you will find me almost a fanatic. My experience with Burmester began many years ago when one of my best friends and i stumbled on a diminutive but extremely well made amplifier driving a speaker I can't remember at a Stereophile show in 1989 or 1990 . They were the 878. He acquired one to drive its B&W 801. My friend which up to then was into changing amps seemingly every other week stopped entirely, simply adding another 878 (they could be wired mono) .. He then moved toward a whoel Burmester system save for the speakers ... I heard this system almost every week for long listening sessins... I pitted my amplifers against his and found out that his pleased me better ... Finally I gave up after 5 years!! and gor my own Burmester system, I compared the Burmester to a slew of brands (SS or Tubes) in my system and prefered the Burmester ... So I am sold and will likely not move away from Burmester, if price is not the issue ...
I have heard most of them and would tell you that the 965 is very, very good. I would however advise you to look for used 911 because they pop up from time to timeon Audiogon and they are extremely reliable. I personally prefer a pair of bridged 965 to one 911 but it is only me...
Burmester owners are a very satisfied lot. They acquire and keep for years, many years ...

Maybe Dynaudio speakers?

And why shouldn't Spectral be paired with magico?

Very cold sound imo. Spectral has a whitish sound which to me would better match Wilson which is a livelier speaker.

Although Alon Wolf is pretty much responsible for the resurrection of that company.

I thought Magico with Bryston 28SST2 and EAR top of the line tube preamp sounded very good btw at my dealer---better than the Spectral/Magico setups at all the shows. The Bryston is not as "sand like" as in prior versions.

Hi

I am not sure we perceive things the same Keith but that is alright... I am very much comfortable with the presentation of Spectral electronics. I also like Plinius amplifers. Virtualy unknown in the USA but as good as they get.

@MEM

I am intellectually of the opinion that a preamp is not necessary with today's line level sources. I did however find that the best resutls were obtained wih the insertion of the 011 preamp despite the fact that the DAC had its own analog-volume control. YMMV.

Hi

I am not sure we perceive things the same Keith but that is alright... I am very much comfortable with the presentation of Spectral electronics. I also like Plinius amplifers. Virtualy unknown in the USA but as good as they get.

That's why i said imo ;) Spectral and Plinium are very different sonically as well! Their new Class A amp I was very interested in a few months back. They have had some distro problems in the US in the past however.

If your current Integrated can drive the B-1s, I'd look at the smaller amps in the Pass Labs XA series. They do very well into low impedance loads.

I've heard the XA 200.5s on Nick's Sashas and the SQ was wonderful.

The Spectral DMA 260 was high on my recent amp replacement list, but the warranty still requires the use of a Spectral Preamp and cables.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the many useful comments in my quest for a new amplifier. Last weekend I decided to purchase the Spectral gear: DMC 30ss + DMA 260. Since my wife and I had a different interpretation of the previous audition, I enlisted my daughter and son who were home from college on winter break. My daughter is one semester away from a degree in music performance (piano) and she has had an in-depth musical education including advanced ear training, voice, violin, and conducting. She listened to the main alternative to the Spectral gear for about three minutes and said that the timbre was inaccurate. She pointed out that while a violin and a cello can both play the exact same A with regard to frequency, the violin should still sound like a violin and the cello like a cello even among the sea of musicians in a modern-era orchestra. When we switched to the Spectral gear, she noted that the timbre was much more accurate. The different sections of the orchestra were much more clearly defined. With the other amp all the strings sounded similar. So for her, and my cellist son, the difference was not subtle and overwhelmingly favored the Spectral gear. We concluded the session with a recording of her performing the Brahms 2nd piano concerto with her university orchestra, an experience which brought her back to that night last April. Magico Q3's, which we enjoyed immensely, were our reference speakers.

So now I'm working on the front end. I will most certainly go straight digital and purchase the best DAC I can find, worthy of the Spectral gear, for a reasonable price.

MEM - congratulations again, and thanks for the private conversation... Let us have your thoughts once you get your equipment. Your daughter's comments are a great testament to the quality of sound of these electronics...

MEM

Congratulations .. years of great music reproduction ... Would love to hear such a system ...

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the many useful comments in my quest for a new amplifier. Last weekend I decided to purchase the Spectral gear: DMC 30ss + DMA 260. Since my wife and I had a different interpretation of the previous audition, I enlisted my daughter and son who were home from college on winter break. My daughter is one semester away from a degree in music performance (piano) and she has had an in-depth musical education including advanced ear training, voice, violin, and conducting. She listened to the main alternative to the Spectral gear for about three minutes and said that the timbre was inaccurate. She pointed out that while a violin and a cello can both play the exact same A with regard to frequency, the violin should still sound like a violin and the cello like a cello even among the sea of musicians in a modern-era orchestra. When we switched to the Spectral gear, she noted that the timbre was much more accurate. The different sections of the orchestra were much more clearly defined. With the other amp all the strings sounded similar. So for her, and my cellist son, the difference was not subtle and overwhelmingly favored the Spectral gear. We concluded the session with a recording of her performing the Brahms 2nd piano concerto with her university orchestra, an experience which brought her back to that night last April. Magico Q3's, which we enjoyed immensely, were our reference speakers.

So now I'm working on the front end. I will most certainly go straight digital and purchase the best DAC I can find, worthy of the Spectral gear, for a reasonable price.

MEM, congrat's on some truly outstanding pieces. And, you bring up a great point in music reproduction, namely accuracy. How accurate does the gear sound. And to the listener, what is important? For me, because they are my ears and brain, I prefer a more emotional connection to my music, hence my love of Burmester ss amps with a tube preamp (Concert Fidelity in my case). Wishing you many, many lovely hours of listening!

MEM, congrat's on some truly outstanding pieces. And, you bring up a great point in music reproduction, namely accuracy. How accurate does the gear sound. And to the listener, what is important? For me, because they are my ears and brain, I prefer a more emotional connection to my music, hence my love of Burmester ss amps with a tube preamp (Concert Fidelity in my case). Wishing you many, many lovely hours of listening!

Same here although I find Burmester extremely accurate .. thus my use of their preamp, amp, DAC and transport in my previous system :)..
TO be abck OT .. Great system MEM... If not for Burmester, Spectral would have been my choice ...

Thank-you FrantzM for your remarks, and I concur whole heartedly Burmester is very accurate. But, the 911 MK3 is highly biased in class A and has a more "tube-like" sound to it, than some s.o.t.a. ss amps I have heard. Sorry for the OT subject, as this is now a Spectral thread.

Hello All: I am searching for the best amp for my New Vivid B-1 speakers, very transparent and accurate. I listen to mostly Western classical music but in many genre. Few amps can effectively present large-scale orchestral pieces without sonic smearing. I have heard the Spectral DMA260 in a couple of brief auditions and it seems very capable in this regard. Do other members have more experience with the 260, especially relevant to other fast amps such as Burmester, Goldmund, Plinius, Moon, Coda, etc?
Has anyone carefully listened to Vivid B-1's with tubes vs. SS?

I know of a successful coupling with a Dartzeel power amp; i could also Imagine that the old Berning ZH270 could be a hit! OTL but stable 70W's

MEM,

Would you mind telling us what the alternative (to the Spectrals) was?
Thanks,

alexandre

Welcome to WBF

I have heard and love the Spectral amps but to answer your question re amps for Vivid B1's I would suggest speaking to Philip O'Hanlon who is the US Distributor for Vivid

949 488 3004

Philip is a great guy. He also is the US distributor of a SS line from Japan. A very fine product, (but not "fast"). If I was a betting man...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing