Speakers for Pass Labs Electronics ?

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
I'm all in with Pass Labs. I have the 250.8---XP 12---and my phono pre is the XP 17. I have used electostatics for over 20 years, and for the last 4 years have used Martin Logan Montis's.

As much as I love my current speakers, I'm getting the itch to transition into a non electrostatic. One of the speakers I'm considering is the Harbeth 40.2's. The problem is I really have no audio stores in my neck of the woods. Let alone a Harbeth dealer.

My question is...what speakers are you using with your Pass Labs setup? I'm really open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

BTW- My listening room is 14x25 with a vaulted ceiling.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Magico S5 Mark II. Absolutely love them being driven with Pass 600.5 amps

Reactions: JimmyS

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Reactions: Audire and shakti

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
And I personally use Coincident Pure Reference Extremes with highly modified (diy) First Watt F4 monoblocks. Transparent with a touch of sweetness and a beautifully holographic presentation.

lowviz_mcc

Jun 4, 2015
Hong Kong
My vote goes to B&W 800 Series loudspeakers.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
If you haven't already, and before moving away from electrostatics, you should listen to Sound Labs. Pass Lab amps drive them extremely well. For your room size, I recommend the 645 or larger. U1:1.jpg Ultimate 845

Reactions: picears and rbbert

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
I concur with the recommendation for Soundlabs. I have two friends who are driving these speakers with Pass X-600.5's. The sound is magnificent.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I'm driving a pair of Magico S3 MKI's with Pass Labs XA60.8 mono blocks.

Lots of Magico owners are digging this brand combo

Reactions: Audire and PeterA

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Passlabs amps can work with many speakers. A friend has a pair of XS monos to drive his WAMM Master Chronosonic and a pair of X600.8 to drive the WAMM Master subsonic and previously I was using XA100.8 driving Sonus Faber Amati Futura and later SF Lilium.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
"As much as I love my current speakers, I'm getting the itch to transition into a non electrostatic.'"

Did you ever make your move? If so, what did you get and how pleased are you with the move? Still using Pass Lab amps?

Daniel M

Oct 7, 2020
I'm happy with MartinLogan CLX driven by Pass X250.8 and XP-22 preamp. Have not had the chance to hear other options mentioned though.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Sound Lab electrostatics and Pass Lab amps are a wonderful combination. I have both the XA-60.8 model (pure class A) and the X-260.8 amps (class A/B). I would be happy to have any WBF member visit me ( SF Bay Area) if they are interested in hearing them.

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
"As much as I love my current speakers, I'm getting the itch to transition into a non electrostatic.'"

Did you ever make your move? If so, what did you get and how pleased are you with the move? Still using Pass Lab amps?
No..I'm still using my M/L Montis's. Also..Yes I am stilll using a 250.8 and an XP 12 pre.

I'm a little hesitant to make the switch given my system sounds incredible as it is.

Also...Its extremely hard to demo large floor standing speakers in my home. I also don't have any dealers in my area.

abrich

Mar 6, 2012
What speakers would you recommend for PASS Labs XA30.5 + XP-12 in a smaller listening room of about 12 x 18 x 8 ft, please?
Nelson Pass uses Tannoy's (among others) to test his amplifiers.
Would any Tannoy's fit? Turnberry GR at 93dB (2.83 Volts @1 metre) efficiency, perhaps?
Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.

Thank you very kindly in advance, dear experts.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
MtnHam said:

No, and I probably won't. I continue to be pleased with Sound Labs after more than 25 years. I do own a dynamic speaker system (Fritz/Sequera) which was temporarily pressed into service while awaiting delivery of my Sound Lab U-545's in my city system, and they were delightful. If the need arises, I might do so again.

"What speakers would you recommend for PASS Labs XA30.5 + XP-12 in a smaller listening room of about 12 x 18 x 8 ft, please?"

I own this amp and used it with my Fritz/Sequera speakers in a similarly sized room, and the results were outstanding. Speakers with sensitivity of 95db or greater will do well with this amp.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I’m using x260.8 to drive magico s5 with a happy result.

abrich

Mar 6, 2012
Thank you very kindly, @MtnHam !
Speakers with sensitivity of 95db or greater will do well with this amp.
This requirement pretty much says No Tannoy's, no Magico's, and no SoundLab's or Quad's either... I am lost and just devastated, frankly.
Should I consider X series (97 dB 1W/1M sensitivity) from Spatial Audio? Does not look like these OB designs are popular among the experts here...
Any alternatives, please?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing