Speaker/ Subwoofer Placement

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
I currently have my subs to the inside of my speakers and was thinking of moving them outboard. This would entail moving the speakers closer together and I wonder if the soundstage would be affected negatively. I'm not talking of a big move but soundstaging is something I value. I know my ears are the final arbiter but before I move this heavy stuff I thought I would get some opinions as I am always impressed with the content on this forum. Thanks, Joe.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Subwoofers are a hot topic lately. What frequency are you crossing over the subs? How far is it from the center of the sub to the side wall.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Subs need to have some free space and avoid corners where possible
Another good idea is to raise your subs from the floor. Maybe try that before moving your speakers?

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
Thanks for the reply. I have my S/812s crossed over at 40hz or so and my ML ESL11As go to 29. If I leave them inboard they are 4' from the sidewall and 3 1/2' from front wall. I think I'll leave them there as Nemal1 says to give them free space and avoid corners. Mt room is small at 12' x 15' x8. I am happy with the sound but thought I would experiment a bit. Think I will enjoy the current setup. They sit on maple blocks with Mapleshade spikes on the carpet. I am not so focused on deep bass as much as a wide and deep soundspace on orchestral music. Great hobby ours, I wish I had someone here in Philly to hear my system and get feedback. Thank you.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A friend has put his 16 "active subs on stands. The result is fantastic, the first floor reflection affects the impulse fidelity. If you are too close to the floor, you will hear a mixed signal from loudspeaker and floor reflection at your listening position. Try it and report.
Geithain Rl901k +14k Subs.jpg

Reactions: Mikem53 and thomask

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I currently have my subs to the inside of my speakers and was thinking of moving them outboard. This would entail moving the speakers closer together and I wonder if the soundstage would be affected negatively. I'm not talking of a big move but soundstaging is something I value. I know my ears are the final arbiter but before I move this heavy stuff I thought I would get some opinions as I am always impressed with the content on this forum. Thanks, Joe.
No reason why they should be in front of you. At 40Hz XO the human hear is incapable of identifying where the sound is coming from. In the first sub system I heard in a London showroon, the sub was placed near the wall oposite the main speakers. In my opinion subs should be heard but not seen - ugly beasts! ;)

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
As they are they are 12" from the floor to the center, I do have a few maple blocks 2" thick that I can add. I'll try, much obliged.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I have my S/812s crossed over at 40hz or so and my ML ESL11As go to 29. If I leave them inboard they are 4' from the sidewall and 3 1/2' from front wall. I think I'll leave them there as Nemal1 says to give them free space and avoid corners. Mt room is small at 12' x 15' x8. I am happy with the sound but thought I would experiment a bit. Think I will enjoy the current setup. They sit on maple blocks with Mapleshade spikes on the carpet. I am not so focused on deep bass as much as a wide and deep soundspace on orchestral music. Great hobby ours, I wish I had someone here in Philly to hear my system and get feedback. Thank you.
Given that you have Rel subs I would suggest you reach out to them for guidance. I know their setup video starts with you putting the subs in the corner of the room to energize the room. When I owned S/3 SHO subs I had them in the corners. When I moved to S/510 and later stacked subs I have them slightly inside of my speakers. They seemed to work better in my room this way.

Good luck.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
IME subs placed near the mains in moderate to small rooms usually result in sub - optimal bass. Reason being - you're starting out working against physics by exacerbating room modes (speakers woofers + subwoofers). And yes, phase, xover frequency, raising subs, sub driver placement (forward, to side, down firing etc.) do play a role but won't overcome predominantly omni - directional low frequency waves.

In large rooms it's much less of an issues as room modes are usually minimized in both amplitude and quantity. A layout of your room and your speaker / sub placement would help with any advice.

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
Wow, didn't think I could do it but here is my setup. Haven't posted here before.

Attachments

• 20211021_161539.jpg
    20211021_161539.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211021_161619.jpg
    20211021_161619.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211021_161539.jpg
    20211021_161539.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: bryans

MysteriousMrM

Feb 18, 2022
I

MysteriousMrM

Feb 18, 2022
If you have a REL sub, the company recommends that it should go in a corner. Since you have a pair, the placement might change, not sure. I suggest looking at the videos on sub placement that REL puts out. You can find them on YourTube and on their website. Also, you can email the company and ask direct questions. They are good about responding.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing