• Focal

• Vandersteen

• Vivid

Results are only viewable after voting.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
.I heard these at a hifi show and they sounded excellent.
I ve heard them at the kharma factory/ showroom in the netherlands several times .
With Lamm and their own amps , built quality is second to none.
Also i heard them with the (old) Boulder 2000 series at a dealer which was not a very good combo imo.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Yes, now that you mention it, used Kharma Exquisites would be very hard to beat, even with new speaker designs!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, now that you mention it, used Kharma Exquisites would be very hard to beat, even with new speaker designs!!
And fairly easy to drive i reckon .
Saves a lot on amplification costs :).

Ps But they are probably to heavy for most reviewers to install at their home . ;)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Given your stated genre and tonal character preferences, For completeness, perhaps add Estelon to your shortlist. As others have mentioned, by purchasing such fine end-game electronics, you have given yourself a very wide range of choices, albeit that can make things even harder to decide on, especially since you cant travel out to listen.

I agree 110% with Twitch! I'm curious, where are you located that dealers won't afford you a home audtion with qualified interest (especially at this price point)? Perhaps WBF members know someone in your part of the world that would be willing to bring one or two of your shortlisted speakers for a home audition?

Also, given your relatively modest 300 square foot room size, I would buy the model of the brand whose sonic signature you like most appropriate for your room size. Lastly, my strongest recommendation would be don't buy a brand just because it's easy to sell if you don't love it unless absolutely necessary. Good luck finding your dream speakers!

PS The jet and Lambo sure are nice:)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hello,
I am new here and looking forward getting your opinions since i can't travel or audition any speaker. Local dealers only order upon 100% full purchase non-refundable and no trials. This goes as good as buying from anywhere worldwide, so i am not committed to buy from that dealer.

I'll get to the point and provide information for your reference.

Old systems:
- Focal Scala Utopia paired with a Devialet 250 integrated amp powered by Isotek conditioner on full audioquest cabling.
- My headphone setup was Streamer: Aurender N10, DAC/headamp: Chord Dave, Headphone: Audeze LCD-4 powered by Audioquest Tornado cables.

New System (269 sq ft treated room):
Streamer
: Taiko SGM Extreme,
DAC/Pre: CH Precision C1 paired with X1 power supply and T1 master clock (GPS option),
Power amp: CH Precision M1.1 (Stereo),
Cables: Argento Flow (XLR, Power cords and speaker cables) + Audioquest Diamond(Ethernet, Usb and BNC 75ohm),
Power Regenerator: PS Audio PowerPlant P20.
Speakers: to be decided (Zellaton, Magico, Wilson, Borresen, Kharma, Tidal or other suggestions)

I listen to Classical, Jazz, Funk and a bit of millennial albums if they were well mastered. So i would go for a lively sound, accurate, fast and dynamic.

I hope the information are useful. Please don't suggest to travel and listen, i cannot and that's a fact. Which is why i am posting online. I've made a poll with 3 votes max.

Have fun :)
Hi there
A good question.
I guess we all have our preferences and prejudices, but I would add the YG Acoustics Hailey to your list.
Tremendous sound and build quality as is evident in a wide range of reviews.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Your room size information would help.

FWIW, about 3 years ago I was on a similar quest and the contenders were Evolution Acoustics, Magico S series, YG Acoustics, Vandersteens, Von Schweikert and Vivid Audio Giyas. Of the list I found the Giyas the most neutral, effortless, dynamic, driver coherant and overall most realistic of the bunch. The Vandersteens were a very close second. A year later I heard the Magico M3s which are probably overall better, but I'd need further comparisons. Good luck in your search!

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
In my personal experience, in stereo (especially very high-end!) you sometimes have to think outside the box! I would add to your list, the AtlantisLab AT31, which, in my very humble opinion, would be the cheapest without a doubt, but on the podium in terms of pure performance! To listen without any aprioris! You might be very surprised! ! The most difficult thing would be to find where you could listen to them, if only out of curiosity! !

Good luck !

A6DA6FD9-CF55-4A32-96DE-0D75253EE9F2.jpeg

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We’re really enjoying our Magico M3s.

75C3C521-C7FE-42A3-A744-0AE1064BB95E.jpeg

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
A used pair of Borresen 05s would be awsome with CH gear.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
In my personal experience, in stereo (especially very high-end!) you sometimes have to think outside the box! I would add to your list, the AtlantisLab AT31, which, in my very humble opinion, would be the cheapest without a doubt, but on the podium in terms of pure performance! To listen without any aprioris! You might be very surprised! ! The most difficult thing would be to find where you could listen to them, if only out of curiosity! !

Good luck !

View attachment 90368
Very interesting product! Thinking outside the box why not!!! If they are showing there I will definitely give them a listen in Munich and report back.

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Very interesting product! Thinking outside the box why not!!! If they are showing there I will definitely give them a listen in Munich and report back.
Always according to my personal experience and not only mine, to get off the beaten track it is not at the hifi show of Munich show or others that you will manage to get out! There are very discreet manufacturers who don't really like the very flashy, very marketing hype... of hifi shows !

I think that the real treasures, the nuggets are not necessarily in the prestigious hifi show where many are convinced of having made the best products in the world, or others boast of having perfect ears, and so on... ?

Reactions: best

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks for your reply. May I suggest starting a new thread titled "Off the Beaten Path" encouraging WBF Members to share their own discoveries of off the beaten path" products? Perhaps Atlantis Lab could be the first entry:) Again thank you for bringing them to my attention. In reviewing their site it looks to be a very worthy product.

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
It would be interesting indeed, a subject of discovery on the discreet manufacturers but not devoid of interest musically speaking! But I have the impression that discreet manufacturers who do not make too much noise about their products, scare some audiophiles! they prefer products that are known, publicized, acclaimed… that must surely reassure them more!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
You may indeed be right about that but let's not be discouraged:) There are seekers out there so let's shake it up!!!

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
On this sad fact, it's been a while since I discouraged myself from trying to convince audiophiles to go and listen to what some of the most discreet, exotic and less publicized manufacturers have to say! They may be right after all, because it's still less flattering to say that they have a very little known product, with less shiny aesthetics, clicks... covered with the most famous electronic components (on paper! ) to better appear very high-end to everyone's eyes, much less to everyone's ears, except for a few, well known to everyone, who claim to have absolute ear !

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,
I am new here and looking forward getting your opinions since i can't travel or audition any speaker. Local dealers only order upon 100% full purchase non-refundable and no trials. This goes as good as buying from anywhere worldwide, so i am not committed to buy from that dealer.

I'll get to the point and provide information for your reference.

Old systems:
- Focal Scala Utopia paired with a Devialet 250 integrated amp powered by Isotek conditioner on full audioquest cabling.
- My headphone setup was Streamer: Aurender N10, DAC/headamp: Chord Dave, Headphone: Audeze LCD-4 powered by Audioquest Tornado cables.

New System (269 sq ft treated room):
Streamer
: Taiko SGM Extreme,
DAC/Pre: CH Precision C1 paired with X1 power supply and T1 master clock (GPS option),
Power amp: CH Precision M1.1 (Stereo),
Cables: Argento Flow (XLR, Power cords and speaker cables) + Audioquest Diamond(Ethernet, Usb and BNC 75ohm),
Power Regenerator: PS Audio PowerPlant P20.
Speakers: to be decided (Zellaton, Magico, Wilson, Borresen, Kharma, Tidal or other suggestions)

I listen to Classical, Jazz, Funk and a bit of millennial albums if they were well mastered. So i would go for a lively sound, accurate, fast and dynamic.

I hope the information are useful. Please don't suggest to travel and listen, i cannot and that's a fact. Which is why i am posting online. I've made a poll with 3 votes max.

Have fun :)
Did you choose something in the end?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
First, I think Duke's suggestion of watching the video and seeing if anything hits you is brilliant! Next, I went back to the sound profile asked for:

"So I would go for a lively sound, accurate, fast, and dynamic."

IMO the electronics' and cables already in residence are all about that so their selection makes perfect sense. My only concern would be not to overdo it with the speakers as a part of the whole at the expense of tonal density.

Our friend seems to be drawn to Zellaton, certainly a slightly different sound from the more mainstream speakers and one from my limited exposure to them would check all the boxes. The time I heard them they were driven by CH Precision in a crappy audio sow hotel room that nevertheless left me impressed. Truly a fast and dynamic presentation with the added benefits of sounding boxless with a touch of music's natural tone density.

I'm sure everyone on the thread is looking to see where you land completing your dream system and hoping you are totally thrilled with your selection. Good luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing