SoundSmith Paua or Sussurro?

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Curious what the differences between the SoundSmith Paua and Sussurro cartridges are?
Are they the same basic cartridge, with the Paua having an aluminum cantilever with nude contact line stylus and the Sussurro having the ruby cantilever with 'optimized contour' nude contact line stylus?

I would assume the Paua to be smoother with the aluminum cantilever and the Sussurro being more detailed with the ruby cantilever/OCL stylus?

Has anyone compared the 2?

This will be used with a Fidelity Research FR64s (Yamamoto HS-4s headshell, larger FR counterweight)mounted on Technics SL1000 MKII turntable (SP10 MKII with factory plinth).

Pre-amp is tubed Zesto Leto 1.5 and phono-stage is tubed Zesto Andros 1.2.

A little extra detail and dynamics may be beneficial?

Thanks!

Rick

Last edited:

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
bump

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Again.... Nevermind

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Haven't compared the two, but I did recently purchase the Paua Mk II. I figured I should get it while it was 1/2 price. The Sussurro is being discounted right now to an even greater degree as Soundsmith releases the updated models.

I think Peter Ledermanm has a pretty good grasp on price points vs. performance, so I'd tend to believe the Sussurro offers a bit better resolution maybe in the area of micro details. At least that's what I would expect.

The Paua Mk II is the finest sounding cartridge that I've ever owned, and that by a wide margin. I haven't broken it in yet, but if what I'm getting out of it on the second day of use is any indication, this thing is going to be around for quite a while.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing