Somebody Tell Me I'm Wrong

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Reel tapes sound so great that I am buying jazz and classical music - and I'm a rock guy! I just love how great they sound. I think I'm bringing two friends into the fold.

Now if we can only convince Neil Young to release his albums on reel. THAT would be something.

Bruce

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
John,

Looking forward to pics and a report!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Actually, there are a few very small companys building and/or purchasing and refurbishing Studer and Tascam tape decks. As a matter of fact, United Home Audio in the Washington DC/Maryland area rebuild and sell their UHA reel to reel tape decks. They are excellent, well built and play music at an extraordinary level. I think the super audio mags can help these small startups by giving them some play. Those are just my throughts.

jazzbo

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Actually, there are a few very small companys building and/or purchasing and refurbishing Studer and Tascam tape decks. As a matter of fact, United Home Audio in the Washington DC/Maryland area rebuild and sell their UHA reel to reel tape decks. They are excellent, well built and play music at an extraordinary level. I think the super audio mags can help these small startups by giving them some play. Those are just my throughts.

jazzbo

I have seen a fair amount of coverage from many mags regarding Best Of Show lines or similar where RtR is part of the equation.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Yes Flez007,

There have been a few notes regarding what was seen at various audio shows and that's great. It just seems to me the audio mags could go a little further and post some opinions/reviews. Also, The Tape Project has been distributing 2 track reel to reel tapes for several years now. Of course there are other small distributors of reel to reel stuff that are also doing an excellent job putting music to tape. I'd sure love to see more "talkup" of what's available because this is obviously a growing market in my humble opinion.

jazzbo :)

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
It's a grass roots effort, it's all about educating people and letting them hear what a proper R2R deck can do. After all you don't even have to drink "The Kool-Aid" to get on the Analog Tape Movement (ATM) because the sound speaks for it's self. The magazines and e-zines need to know that there are people who want to read about R2R and not just computer DAC's.
The audio shows are a great way to get more people exposed to the sound, unfortunately they are expensive, room cost, travel, hotel, shipping, it all adds up.
When any "movement" is trying to get a foothold it either lives or dies by the money it can generate to perpetuate itself.

I believe you guys are 100% correct, there needs to be more exposure from the media and there is also something every man can do. If you like it write about it, tell people, email the magazines, write a letter to the editor, Stereophile likes to publish those letters, generally MAKE SOME NOISE!

I happen to know that two of The Absolute Sound reviewers have decks in their listen rooms.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's a grass roots effort, it's all about educating people and letting them hear what a proper R2R deck can do. After all you don't even have to drink "The Kool-Aid" to get on the Analog Tape Movement (ATM) because the sound speaks for it's self. The magazines and e-zines need to know that there are people who want to read about R2R and not just computer DAC's.
The audio shows are a great way to get more people exposed to the sound, unfortunately they are expensive, room cost, travel, hotel, shipping, it all adds up.
When any "movement" is trying to get a foothold it either lives or dies by the money it can generate to perpetuate itself.

I believe you guys are 100% correct, there needs to be more exposure from the media and there is also something every man can do. If you like it write about it, tell people, email the magazines, write a letter to the editor, Stereophile likes to publish those letters, generally MAKE SOME NOISE!

I happen to know that two of The Absolute Sound reviewers have decks in their listen rooms.

So do two PFO reviewers :)

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Sorry Myles I guess I assumed people on WBF knew of the efforts by you, David Robinson and PFO.
In fact I think Positive Feedback Online has been at the forefront of information on all things R2R, music, Reeltronix take up reels, show reports, reviews.
I really enjoyed your review of the Opus3 tape, so did Jan-Eric.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sorry Myles I guess I assumed people on WBF knew of the efforts by you, David Robinson and PFO.
In fact I think Positive Feedback Online has been at the forefront of information on all things R2R, music, Reeltronix take up reels, show reports, reviews.
I really enjoyed your review of the Opus3 tape, so did Jan-Eric.

Thanks Greg.

I'm speaking with Steve Davis/Axpona and hopefully I'll be organizing a R2R seminar at the Chicago Axpona Show. I have some good ideas and hopefully it will come off. Let you know how it goes when I know more.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Sounds great.
Looks like we are going to plan after hours Master Tape events both Friday and Saturday nights at Chicago Axpona. Probably will start a bit earlier too.
The Axpona guys really liked the idea, they say based on where our room is located it shouldn't upset anyone after hours, (if we're rocking out).

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Extremely CooL

I hope to take some pics as well. After that Tony and I are going over to listen to some master tapes at where the ultraanalogrecordings were done. I'm super pumped about this!

Long Live Analog*

*DSD128 is very cool, too ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm off in a few hours to meet up with Tony at his place. I have no real idea of what to expect as I've never had an opportunity to listen to a high-end R2R. If tape of this quality is the cat's meow, then I guess I'll be in for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. I'll try to get back to you with my observations, and hopefully a few pictures, but I'm not very good at describing in great detail the various nuances that I hear people express. I guess I still need a few more lessons about the audiophile vernacular.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Have FUN

I'm off in a few hours to meet up with Tony at his place. I have no real idea of what to expect as I've never had an opportunity to listen to a high-end R2R. If tape of this quality is the cat's meow, then I guess I'll be in for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. I'll try to get back to you with my observations, and hopefully a few pictures, but I'm not very good at describing in great detail the various nuances that I hear people express. I guess I still need a few more lessons about the audiophile vernacular.

I hope to get up there, sometime :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
John, just give us your overall impressions. VERY jealous!
Bruce

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, just give us your overall impressions. VERY jealous!
Bruce

I'll do my best Bruce! Will try to post after I come back, but I need to make another stop after my visit with Tony, so I don't know what time I'll get home. I've made sure my Galaxy Note is fully charged so I can take pics.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just got back. Will update the photos in a bit and give you my humble impressions. I can say this for now...it was an absolute joy and pleasure to meet Tony and Ed, and I will definitely be returning in the not too distant future. I'm kinda hungry, so I will get a quick meal into me and get back to you all. I will likely start a separate thread for it.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Monday Morning Mr. Astor,

Sorry to say that I missed your very well written article in your Positive Feedback Online Mag. How I missed that I will never know. However. you did an outstanding job writing that piece and it took me back some years. I recall the early Absolute Sound and Stereophile reviews on various tape decks as well as the tapes available then. I remember the first time I had the pleasure of hearing the first copy of a "master tape" of Mahler's 9th being played on a big Crown tape deck. The orchestra and choral group was actually in the room with us. The realism was awesome. I could not believe that anything but being in the same place with the actual orchestra, chorus and conductor could cause me to believe this was the best musical reproduction I had ever heard. As a very young African American who, up to that time, had not been exposed to "big league" audio, it was a very exciting experience for me. During that time the Crown, Magnacord, Ampex and Concertones were the monster tape decks to lust after. I was finally able to get my hands on a used Magnacord 1022. I kept that piece for a few years and sold it later. I got away from tape after LP's became popular and never looked back until a few years ago when I ran across the "Tape Project" forum and became a member. I immediately went looking to purchase a tape deck. A radio station in Washington DC was selling a Sony APR 3000, an Otari 15 and Otari 50. I was finally able to get all 3 decks. I sold all 3 prior to moving from Washington DC to my present home here in Georgia. Selling those machines was one of the more foolish decisions I've made. I was trying to cut down on the cost of my move. I am kicking myself as I write this.

In 2009 I purchased a Tascam 32-2B and most recently I got my hands on a Tascam 42B in outstanding condition. I am buying tapes as I can afford them on retiree pay so this is a slow process. However, what I have sounds wonderful and I hope the completion of my tube tapehead pre amp will afford me better listening. We will see. Again Mr. Astor, I was more than pleased to read your article which was full of great information for all of us. Thanks much sir. :)

jazzbo :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing