Some more contemporary music....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Guys- sorry for the delay.

Here is some stuff to check out---I'm not a true Indie guy fyi, but appreciate some of it so there is some on this list. I used to go to Coachella music festival, which was a great place to see/hear new sounds and bands. You can look on the website to check out a lot of music on youtube etc before purchasing.

There seems to be a lot of bands blending rock with electronica---very hip and a fresh new sounds. I've segregated that out.

Disclaimer---I don't like all of these groups, but hopefully you guys can find some new stuff!

Rock:

Radiohead
Muse
TV on the Radio
Black Keys
Beck
Kings of Leon
Drive by Truckers (well, alt-country rock)
Mumford & Son (rock/folk)
Arcade Fire
The National
Wilco
Green Day
Foo Fighters (new album out in a few weeks fyi)
Mike Snow (one of the best albums last year that no one knows about)
Them Crooked Vultures

Electronic Rock:

Cut Copy
Hotchip
Caribou
Phoenix
Toro y Moi
The Radio Department
LCD Soundsystem
Crystal Castles
Mogwai
Royksopp

Lounge Electronica:

Air
Thievery Corporation
Dzihan & Kamien
Gotan Project
Cantoma
Tosca (side project of Richard Dorfmeister)
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Ullrich Schnauss
Trentemoller

btw, a lot of this is surprisingly, very well recorded.

Last edited:
Guys- sorry for the delay.

Here is some stuff to check out---I'm not a true Indie guy fyi, but appreciate some of it so there is some on this list. I used to go to Coachella music festival, which was a great place to see/hear new sounds and bands. You can look on the website to check out a lot of music on youtube etc before purchasing.

There seems to be a lot of bands blending rock with electronica---very hip and a fresh new sounds. I've segregated that out.

Disclaimer---I don't like all of these groups, but hopefully you guys can find some new stuff!

Rock:

Radiohead
Muse
TV on the Radio
Black Keys
Beck
Kings of Leon
Drive by Truckers (well, alt-country rock)
Mumford & Son (rock/folk)
Arcade Fire
The National
Wilco
Green Day
Foo Fighters (new album out in a few weeks fyi)
Mike Snow (one of the best albums last year that no one knows about)
Them Crooked Vultures

Electronic Rock:

Cut Copy
Hotchip
Caribou
Phoenix
Toro y Moi
The Radio Department
LCD Soundsystem
Crystal Castles
Mogwai
Royksopp

Lounge Electronica:

Air
Thievery Corporation
Dzihan & Kamien
Gotan Project
Cantoma
Tosca (side project of Richard Dorfmeister)
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Ullrich Schnauss
Trentemoller

btw, a lot of this is surprisingly, very well recorded.

Keith

I recall your doing something similar 6-7 years ago at AVS with a huge genre of "house" . I still have all of the ones that you recommended and yes they are indeed well recorded

Some good suggestions there. It's really tricky to try to categorize a lot of that music. I'm not criticizing, just that you can't really tell much about a band by the labeling. For example, to call Wilco "Rock" is a bit of a stretch. A lot of those bands can be considered Indie or Indie Rock, but even that doesn't tell you what they are like. I would place Radiohead and Wilco both in the Indie camp, but they sound nothing alike, yet are two of my favorites. Some more great current bands/performers are:
Colexico, Wooden Shjips, Pitch Black, Ray LaMontagne, Big Big Train, Shearwater, Carolyn Wonderland, Dr. Dog, Guy Forsyth, Jenny Lewis, Last Train Home and The Magic Numbers.

Some good suggestions there. It's really tricky to try to categorize a lot of that music. I'm not criticizing, just that you can't really tell much about a band by the labeling. For example, to call Wilco "Rock" is a bit of a stretch. A lot of those bands can be considered Indie or Indie Rock, but even that doesn't tell you what they are like. I would place Radiohead and Wilco both in the Indie camp, but they sound nothing alike, yet are two of my favorites. Some more great current bands/performers are:
Colexico, Wooden Shjips, Pitch Black, Ray LaMontagne, Big Big Train, Shearwater, Carolyn Wonderland, Dr. Dog, Guy Forsyth, Jenny Lewis, Last Train Home and The Magic Numbers.

Having said that I can honestly say that when Keith did this at AVS several years ago I bought about 20 of his recommendations and still have a section of my music collection called "Keith's recommendations"

I agree, his recommendations are very good; I have a lot of music from artists he listed. I was just trying to say that it is difficult to categorize music these days. It use to be simple, rock, folk, country, classical, etc. Nowadays, there must be ten or twenty (or more!) different categories of rock, for instance. Personally, I don't even try any more as I can't remember all the new classifications!

Having said that I can honestly say that when Keith did this at AVS several years ago I bought about 20 of his recommendations and still have a section of my music collection called "Keith's recommendations"

I tried to make this list pretty diverse---and with some newer angles.

Last time I was up in your room I brought an Argentinean disc----from a trip to Buenos Aires. That would be the Gotan Project. Just great music. One sultry singer as well :)

On most of my trips abroad I go hunt out local music.....I find it an excellent way to immerse myself in the culture.

I agree, his recommendations are very good; I have a lot of music from artists he listed. I was just trying to say that it is difficult to categorize music these days. It use to be simple, rock, folk, country, classical, etc. Nowadays, there must be ten or twenty (or more!) different categories of rock, for instance. Personally, I don't even try any more as I can't remember all the new classifications!

100% agree. and the Indie rock guys really get snobbish if you classify stuff wrong---oh well, i just like good music. i will leave the classifications to the pros!

Thanks, Keith. This is greatly appreciated. Do you have specific album recommendations?

some albums heavy in my rotation:

Arcade Fire "The Suburbs"
Air "Pocket Symphony"
Wilco "Wilco"
Miike Snow "Miike Snow"
Mumford & Sons "Sign no More"
Gotan Project "Tango 3.0"
Radiohead "In Rainbows" --- i'm waiting on the new album to arrive any day.

and if you like country, love Jamie Johnson.

I think it is a question of perspective since, from where I sit, I cannot distinguish all those categories of rock, mebbe 3 or 4.

OTOH, since the topic is about contemporary music, let me offer some suggestions from my perspective:
Golijov: Ainadamar (DG)
Golijov: Oceana (DG)
Bielawa: In medias res (BMOP)
Derek Bermel: Voices (BMOP)
Michaela Petri: Movements (OUR music)
Lieberson: Neruda Songs (Nonesuch)

Kal

some albums heavy in my rotation:

Arcade Fire "The Suburbs"
Air "Pocket Symphony"
Wilco "Wilco"
Miike Snow "Miike Snow"
Mumford & Sons "Sign no More"
Gotan Project "Tango 3.0"
Radiohead "In Rainbows" --- i'm waiting on the new album to arrive any day.
Yep to this list. I'd certainly include Kings Of Leon and The Airborne Toxic Event.

Keith, I have the new one and it is a bit different but IMO that is to be expected from these guys since they strive to put effort into their songwriting, sometimes even bordering on controversial, but always very artisitic.

And for all of you WBF members, Radiohead IMO is and will be remembered as one of the best bands of the past decade. I have about 10 of their albums - all extremely enjoyable. In Rainbows, may take the cake but, really, one can't go wrong with any album in their catalog.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks to you guys, I now have more music than time to listen to all of it .. Thanks very much :(

It was Lunatico---though I like Tango 3.0 as well.

Thanks Kal for the recommendations---looks like all new stuff for me to dig through

so I just happened to be on the SH forum (searching for some waveforms of different music). these were the artists in the threads on pg 1:

Beatles
Tom Petty
Rush
Beach Boys
Charlie Mingus
Steely Dan
Joni Mitchell
Neal Young
Duran Duran
Led Zeppelin
Alison Krauss
Paul McCartney

And people wonder why Hifi currently is for a bunch of older folks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing