So I bought I pair of Rockports...

Well there is obvious one area where " progress / extension " can be done and that is taking bandwith// membrane surface/impact further, Mike lavignes system with the MM7 speakers is an example.

Another interesting design scaena: http://www.scaena.com/speakers.html

Thanks!!! When you say taking impact/surface further...do you mean the big 4-tower speaker sets? Like big Infinity, Tidal, Genesis, Gryphon Pendragon/Poseiden?

Yes any large membrane (tower)speaker set really , yours is for example also quite large compared to what most have , but if you have the room you could maximize the effect even more .
But even then , the way it sounds will be based on how good the design is executed

Last edited:
Yes any large membrane (tower)speaker set really , yours is for example also quite large compared to what most have , but if you have the room you could maximize the effect even more .
But even then , the way it sounds will based on how good the design is executed

Fair enough...thanks!

I heard the SF stradivari at the guy who sold the Studer B 62 to me , a sloping baffle helps a lot , i still think a wide baffle sits in the way as far as spaciousness is concerned , but if it slopes it helps .

When I was at Andy's, he spent a lot of time discussing how the graceful curves on the baffle reduced defraction and improves imaging. He said he could hear if he kept the same narrow baffle width but didn't slope it back (more boxy styles or right angles) and that other speaker designs I was considering, he reckoned I could hear this.

Well I couldn't really pick it out in my demos of various speakers. But now I have these in my home, I can. The speaker disappears so much better...I have to think part of this is the cabinet design...

When I was at Andy's, he spent a lot of time discussing how the graceful curves on the baffle reduced defraction and improves imaging. He said he could hear if he kept the same narrow baffle width but didn't slope it back (more boxy styles or right angles) and that other speaker designs I was considering, he reckoned I could hear this.

Well I couldn't really pick it out in my demos of various speakers. But now I have these in my home, I can. The speaker disappears so much better...I have to think part of this is the cabinet design...

I can also imagine that given how computer models typically work...it is easier to manufacturer the cabinetry that slopes and curves in multiple directions when using a mold like Rockport does...than trying to machine aluminum to slope, etc.

Which perhaps means Andy gets exactly the slope he wants without having to consider the cost to machine cut aluminum or even wood frames to match the exact slope/curvature of the cabinetry.

I can also imagine that given how computer models typically work...it is easier to manufacturer the cabinetry that slopes and curves in multiple directions when using a mold like Rockport does...than trying to machine aluminum to slope, etc.

Which perhaps means Andy gets exactly the slope he wants without having to consider the cost to machine cut aluminum or even wood frames to match the exact slope/curvature of the cabinetry.

I think you are right here...the mold and cabinet material Rockport uses allows for differing shapes that "may" be better at a lower cost to manufacture. Any kind of flat material, mdf, composites, metal...can take these shapes to...but machining costs and material waste goes up and that gets factored into the price.

I am not saying these flat materials are bad...just different costs to product different shapes. And if the curves lead to better sound..one technique has a price advantage...

I think you are right here...the mold and cabinet material Rockport uses allows for differing shapes that "may" be better at a lower cost to manufacture. Any kind of flat material, mdf, composites, metal...can take these shapes to...but machining costs and material waste goes up and that gets factored into the price.

I am not saying these flat materials are bad...just different costs to product different shapes. And if the curves lead to better sound..one technique has a price advantage...

I have always said i am no techie and i mean it. But when one look at wind tunnels, aerodynamics for cars...are sound waves much different? maybe, maybe not. if even comparable, then the way air/waves move around and past 'perfectly shaped' moulded edges of a sports car vs straight edges may not be too different from the way sound waves move past the edges of a cabinet. Sharp corners vs moulded, curved corners that slope 'according to the optimal computer modeled contour' would possibly result in different sound. so in this one minute area (of many), a moulded carbon/poured resin cabinet may have 'the edge' (pun intended) over metal/wood construction.

I have to say, almost 6 days on now, breakin seems to be happening (more relaxed, more ease, deeper and more articulate bass). My dealer was here again today tweeking toe in on the right and moved the left out about 1.5 inches...really brought more focus and better warmth....

this is really a special speaker...wow, i'm in a different leaque now, a few days ago it was very nice, but more time from my dealer on placement and a few more hours playtime and these rockports are really singing!!

I have always said i am no techie and i mean it. But when one look at wind tunnels, aerodynamics for cars...are sound waves much different? maybe, maybe not. if even comparable, then the way air/waves move around and past 'perfectly shaped' moulded edges of a sports car vs straight edges may not be too different from the way sound waves move past the edges of a cabinet. Sharp corners vs moulded, curved corners that slope 'according to the optimal computer modeled contour' would possibly result in different sound. so in this one minute area (of many), a moulded carbon/poured resin cabinet may have 'the edge' (pun intended) over metal/wood construction.

So someone should design a speaker shaped like a Bugatti Veyron!

Congratulations John. Those Rockports look Great and so does your new room treatments.

Dre

I have to say, almost 6 days on now, breakin seems to be happening (more relaxed, more ease, deeper and more articulate bass). My dealer was here again today tweeking toe in on the right and moved the left out about 1.5 inches...really brought more focus and better warmth....

this is really a special speaker...wow, i'm in a different leaque now, a few days ago it was very nice, but more time from my dealer on placement and a few more hours playtime and these rockports are really singing!!

Congrats...really looking to hearing them...hoping sometime in the next several weeks.

Lloyd looking again at the arrakis design : the arrakis works with tweeter , mid units and mid bass units there isnt much space left for 2 front firing 15 inchers unless the design would become very tall , so my guess it is practical and also from a visual stand point.
J frech did you hear also the arrakis at rockport ??

You want more curves : :D http://www.vividaudio.com/speakers/giya-reference-line/models/giya-g1.html
Well one i could think off is course asthetical/visual , people might not want to look at a wide baffle in the listening room, iirc the rockport arrakis uses 2 15 inch (audiotechnologie motors with custom membrane) woofers , the cabinet has off course to be quite wide to accomodate them .

Last edited:
Lloyd looking again at the arrakis design : the arrakis works with tweeter , mid units and mid bass units there isnt much space left for 2 front firing 15 inchers unless the design would become very tall , so my guess it is practical and also from a visual stand point.
J frech did you hear also the arrakis at rockport ??

You want more curves : :D http://www.vividaudio.com/speakers/giya-reference-line/models/giya-g1.html

Thanks...very sensible! Yes, the speaker is already 2.06 meters tall (6' 9") so to stack the 2 15" woofers vertically would require another 1 meter/3 feet of height. Hence, place them on the side. It appears that he like the side woofer, as the 48" Altair still uses them.

You could extent the question to any sub i think, if it isnt placed at about the same distance as the tweeter/ mids from the listener,but you have subs placed behind the mainspeakers so you must have an idea soundwise i reckon??
Or maybe mike lavigne can explain as he has positioned with the subtowers

Congratulations John. Those Rockports look Great and so does your new room treatments.

Dre

Dre, a sincere thank you !

WOW those Speakers simply look gorgeous. The rest of the System as well as the room looks very good too. Very warm and very inviting to just sit back, relax and enjoy ones favorite music. Really a perfect example of how to integrate room treatment without ending up with a too cold/professional look.

WOW those Speakers simply look gorgeous. The rest of the System as well as the room looks very good too. Very warm and very inviting to just sit back, relax and enjoy ones favorite music. Really a perfect example of how to integrate room treatment without ending up with a too cold/professional look.

Here is a pic I took today...I assume this is the final position ....(and thanks for your kind words)... Nikon 300s with a Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens...no flash. taken from the side and slightly back of the room...

DSC_1952.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing