Simultaneous RCA and XLR connections

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've been toying with the notion of a purist audio chain for 2 channel in my system. With either a high-res DAC/volume control or a high-end 2 ch preamp, I could go directly via XLR into my Krell amp (bypassing the surround processor).

Is there any trick I could use to be able to have RCA and XLR connections to the amp in place ON THE AMP END, and still get it to work. I'm aware of the jumper pins on the XLRs when using RCAs, but is there any way one can "jump" the far end of an XLR cable to achieve the same effect? My amp is in an almost inaccessible location, and constantly changing the cables at that end would not be possible. I could easily plug/unplug the XLRs at the source component.

Thoughts?

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Ralph!

Good to see you hear and welcome your insights!

Myles

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Before answering that, maybe could you explain why you have to change cables so often? Are you planning two sources for the amp?

Currently, with funds tight, I cannot go forward with purchasing an equivalent quality preamp/processor that has a high-end pass-through. I felt that directly connecting either a stand-alone DAC w/ volume control or a high-quality 2 channel preamp would be an intermediate means to better stereo listening. I could run XLRs from the new source and keep the single-ended interconnects hooked up for the home theater from my Denon 4806 (which I currently use as preamp/processor/surround amps). I have my eyes on a few nice pre/pros, but simply cannot afford them right now.

I hope that helps.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can convert either connection to the other easily. Music Instrument supply houses (e.g. Guitar Center) sell adapters to and from each. You can get them in the form of a cable or jack converter.

Now, when you do that, you have level issues to content with. Balances levels are high and will saturate unbalanced inputs resulting in serious distortion. So you need to be able to turn the levels in the source down. Conversely, the unbalanced levels are lower so while you don't have distortion to deal with, you may not get maximum audio level if you can't compensate.

So best plan would be run balanced to your amp and then converted unbalanced to it if needed. That way, the sound would be fine, just not as loud.

Is this what you were asking?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Is this what you were asking?

Sorry, no. I wanted to be able to unplug and jump the cables (both RCA for home theater and XLR for stereo music) so that I could leave them both plugged into the amplifier and disconnect them at the source end for jumping. Upon a little more looking, it doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I'll just have to wait until I can pick up the good pre/pro.

Thanks, all for the concern.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It bugs me that I still don't quite understand what you were trying to do :). So if you don't mind, was your situation that the Krell requires a jumper change to decide which input type is active and you wanted to activate that remotely?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It bugs me that I still don't quite understand what you were trying to do :). So if you don't mind, was your situation that the Krell requires a jumper change to decide which input type is active and you wanted to activate that remotely?

There is a jumper pin inserted into the XLR inputs of the Krell when you use the RCA input (my current setup). I wanted to leave both the RCA and XLR cables plugged into the Krell, and switch between using them by manipulating the connections on the source end. I'd have to remove the jumper pins on the Krell's XLR inputs to plug the XLR interconnects in, and wondered if I could leave the XLR plugged in and electrically simulate the jump pin being in place by doing something on the source end of that cable. In this way, I could switch between sources solely by doing something at the end that is easy to reach.

That help?

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That help?

Lee
Well, kind of :). I am not sure which Krell amp you have but this is from the instruction manual for one of them:

"The KSA-150 and KSA-250 have both balanced and single -ended inputs. The balanced inputs use 3-pin XLR connectors and single -ended inputs use RCA connectors. The pin assignments for the XLRS are: pin 1 = signal ground: pin 2 = non-inverting input: pin 3 = inverting input. The RCA connector is wired in parallel with pin 2, the non-inverted input. Only one of these inputs should be connected to the preamplifier.

The KSA-150 and KSA-250 are shipped with shorting pins in the XLR inputs. These pins must remain in the XLR inputs if the units are to operate in the singleended mode. These pins must be removed to connect either unit for balanced operation. The shorting pin connects pins 1 and 3 and grounds the inverted input."

So as you see, there is no real magic to what the jumper does. You could run a single XLR to your amp, then split that into both an XLR and RCA wired exactly the way they say. It would take a hobby box, a switch and few solder connection to make it all work. But I suspect is more than you wanted to get into :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now that must have been some really old manual. Krell hasn't made the KSA in probably 20 years
My only claim here that I understand electronics. Not Krell model numbers :D. Besides, we can blame Google as that was the first hit that came up on "Krell jumper XLR and RCA" :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing