shunyata-universal-cable-adapter

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I have MBL 9011 amps. The two IEC inlets are very close to each other. If one insert Anaconda PC into one of the inlets, it is impossible to insert another Anaconda PC. If one use shunyata-universal-cable-adapter, it maybe possible to use Anaconda into second inlet. My question is that whether using shunyata-universal-cable-adapter in this way will affect performance.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Bummer on the tight connections...I think, on a amp, any connections will "slightly/possibly" but in this case these cords are so good I am not sure what choice you have...I might ask shunyata if they have a right angle termination first. some amps and preamps have connections underneath that require this...might be a special order but this might be the preferred path...they may have other ideas here to...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bummer on the tight connections...I think, on a amp, any connections will "slightly/possibly" but in this case these cords are so good I am not sure what choice you have...I might ask shunyata if they have a right angle termination first. some amps and preamps have connections underneath that require this...might be a special order but this might be the preferred path...they may have other ideas here to...

I wouldn't give up on the Anaconda PC's either as they are just so good. Interesting thought about a right angle termination as they do make 2 different configurations of their umbilicals (one for stacking and the other for horizontal placement of a Triton/Typhon.

Why dot you consider having an electrician just move the AC box an inch or two further away from the other before you start thinking of adaptor cords

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup looks like a tight fit indeed

312mbl.bac.jpg

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
That's an unfortunate placement indeed.

I'm sure Grant or Caelin will chime in, but I know of two options within the Shunyata line for this situation.

The first, as you've noted, is the universal cable adapter and this is the type of situation for which it was envisioned. On the positive side you can get the benefits of the Anaconda (or other Shunyata PC using the round IEC housing), but you are introducing another connection as well as a dissimilar piece of wire. I haven't had to use one yet so I can't comment on the actual sonic detriment (if any).

The other option is the Zi-Tron Z-PC10, which was designed as a very high performance cable for use in tight quarters (especially in cabinets) and is around the same level as the Cobra. It's not going to offer the same level of performance as the Anaconda, but given the unfortunate design of that amp's power inlet it may be a very good option as it uses a much smaller, rectangular IEC connector. The only issue is that while it's listed on my price sheet it's no longer listed on Shunyata's website so it may no longer be available. We haven't had a customer with a need for one so it hasn't been on my radar.

Finally, there may be a possibility of custom termination on the Anaconda using a different IEC.

Best to contact your local Shunyata dealer / distributor or contact Grant directly.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Unfortunate that the inlets are so close together. The universal adapter will allow you to make the connection without a huge loss of the performance benefits of the Anaconda. There is another alternative. We could build you a custom adapter that goes from a male IEC C14 to a female IEC C15. This is similar to our C14 to C19 adapters. Call or write to Richard at Shunyata and he will help you.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
As jfrech suggested, would it be better to use AUDIOQUEST - IEC-90 DEGREE ADAPTER rather than universal cable adaptor? I am hesitant to go for custom made connection as it will affect second hand resale value (not that I want to sell any time soon. But shunyata may have a new PC down the road).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing