Should i surrender? Perlisten sub

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
Smart choice of -6dB ported sub-bass speakers for what looks to be a tight space.
All the best.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Beautiful! My gut and own personal experience says go with the larger. Generally have appreciate the air movement of the larger Velodynes vs their smaller equivalents. And the bigger ones never seemed 'slower' and generally felt that they offered greater air movement, power and effortlessness,

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Arya Revopods installed under my new Peristen D15s

Detail of differences between Revopods vs hard rubber Perlisten stock foot…
IMG_6755.jpeg

Detail of Revopods installed….
IMG_6777.jpeg

General view of Perlisten D15s with Arya Revopods….
IMG_6771.jpeg

Final D15s placement….
IMG_6779.jpeg

Reactions: VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Arya Revopods installed under my new Peristen D15s

Detail of differences between Revopods vs hard rubber Perlisten stock foot…
View attachment 125074

Detail of Revopods installed….
View attachment 125075

General view of Perlisten D15s with Arya Revopods….
View attachment 125076

Final D15s placement….
View attachment 125077
Congratulations!

I purchased two Perlisten D215S and hopefully will receive them by the end of February.

Can you describe the sonic effect of the Revopods on your Perlisten? Thanks

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi VPN.

To put you in context, i’ve never been a sub fan.
I’be been searching always best sound with stereo system with only two speakers.
Sub was always discarded because its difficult to integrate because its false and different bass response vs main speakers.
After a lot of years of researching, my final setup is best i have found for my taste.
But in Hi-End we are living and learning….
This was until i detected different bass response of my system depending of my listening position.
Tads CR1 has very good bass. I’ve listened heavy bass tracks with authority and slam.
But balance wasn’t right.
Room response was the issue.
So i began to test different solutions.
Different spikes for speakers and electronics.
Different speaker placement.
Active bass trap AAVA C20.
Result was always worst than original setup.
I’ve talked with a lot of designers and technical people until i was advice that subs has an impact that few people knows.
You can control your room response.
Cancelling standing waves and at the same time reaching last octave CR1 lacks….
To avoid distortion and boomy uncontrolled bass, i tried Perlisten D12s sub.
This change was revelatory. It is so quick, resolutive, and configurable that i finally get right bass balance sound with longest deep bass.
Everything without changing my system style sound. Sub simple disappears with stunning synergy with Tad Bass.
As i would change CR1 to Ref1.
Sound was plenty in whole room without any trade off.
Important note: Cables have a lot of impact in sub sound. In my case i use Esprit cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: VPN and Brucemck2

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hi VPN.

To put you in context, i’ve never been a sub fan.
I’be been searching always best sound with stereo system with only two speakers.
Sub was always discarded because its difficult to integrate because its false and different bass response vs main speakers.
After a lot of years of researching, my final setup is best i have found for my taste.
But in Hi-End we are living and learning….
This was until i detected different bass response of my system depending of my listening position.
Tads CR1 has very good bass. I’ve listened heavy bass tracks with authority and slam.
But balance wasn’t right.
Room response was the issue.
So i began to test different solutions.
Different spikes for speakers and electronics.
Different speaker placement.
Active bass trap AAVA C20.
Result was always worst than original setup.
I’ve talked with a lot of designers and technical people until i was advice that subs has an impact that few people knows.
You can control your room response.
Cancelling standing waves and at the same time reaching last octave CR1 lacks….
To avoid distortion and boomy uncontrolled bass, i tried Perlisten D12s sub.
This change was revelatory. It is so quick, resolutive, and configurable that i finally get right bass balance sound with longest deep bass.
Everything without changing my system style sound. Sub simple disappears with stunning synergy with Tad Bass.
As i would change CR1 to Ref1.
Sound was plenty in whole room without any trade off.
Important note: Cables have a lot of impact in sub sound. In my case i use Esprit cables.
Hi Stereophonic,

I am glad the Perlisten worked so well for you!

I would appreciate if you could describe in as much detail as possible how the sound changed using the Revopod feet vs the original feet. Thanks

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Part ii:
With stock feet Perlisten is stunning.
But there is something i’m looking for too…
Now i have more bass, better bass and better room response from phase perspective….
I was aware that you even can improve mid and highs with right sub setup.
Understanding my room and experience with Perlisten i did upgrade to D15s who improve every parameter i’ve wrote.
Setup parameters are so long with a sound style base so great that i was sure D15s is a sub that always can play at high level.
Then i did remember my Revopod’s experience.
They are distortion killers.
Right energy is the key now, so i purchased a set.
Believe me. First improvement was better mid to high feeling. Tad sings more airy, with better space between notes, more expressive.
Even better that without sub.
Bass keeps extension but sounds more defined, better focused and with better slam.
Now i can fell the punch in my body.
Once i’ve removed distortion, i can feel my room sound less resonant. Energy now comes more from full system.
Room energy was the blame to tame mid to highs because room energy resonance.
Sound begin and ends faster improving full dynamic and resolution.
Now i have not only better bass, i have better full range sound.
My musical listening experience has grown at a level i didn’t expect.
Hope that helps… :)

Last edited:
Reactions: VPN

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Now i have not only better bass, i have better full range sound.
This should be expected with a well setup 2 + 1 speaker system. The main benefit of adding a sub is not necessarily better low end response but the overall improvement in all aspects / parameters of sound quality. A much more full bodied, dimensional, emotionally involving listening experience.

If not, then something is amiss.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The very best subs I've ever heard are those from Ascendo, a German audio speaker company which has been around for about 20 years but only fairly recently made some inroads into the US market. They've taken a "system approach" to subwoofer design. Meaning that just as a traditional speaker uses multiple drivers for specific frequencies, so does an Ascendo sub system. I was so enamored with them for music (and home theater) I made the decision to add them to my system.

In my case it is a combination of THIS 32" Infrasub along with 2 of THESE Dual 18's"kick subs" (as named by Ascendo). Each of these are driven by one of THESE amps (ASCENDO DSP4-10K2). In the case of the 32" each of the two voice coils is powered by 3000 watts and in the case of the 18's each driver is driven by 2500 watts.

While the "Infrasub" nomenclature is used to describe the 32", 50" and 80", there is very little music (or even movies) that make much use of those frequencies. But what you do get is the ability to instantly compress all of the air in your listen space so that, for example, a recorded drum "thwack" (or, in a movie, a powerful gun) takes on a whole new dimension. And with the amount of air moved, even subtle more traditional bass becomes much more audible and adds so much to the listening experience. A "not for everyone" solution, but if you have the space and funds, go find a place to listen.

And for those of you who think large subs must be slow, that is most certainly not the case with these. Their impulse response is most impressive.

And for grins, here I am, the old(er) 6 foot tall guy along with the 50" Ascendo and two Ascendo Black Swans (and the owner of Atlanta Home Theater). This room is a holding place for these 3 pieces as the purchaser has yet to finish his listening space. Even with almost zero room treatment in this space, you could certainly hear some the positives of the Black Swans - AND the 50" sub.

ME + 50.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing