Sharing a few system videos from last night‘s listening session

I am not sure I can say below but close anyway.

My speaker sound (live recording) is reproduced sound. But the original sound is recorded directly from the mouth of singer.

My recording: recorded the sound from my speakers = reproduced. I can hear it any time I want from my audio system.

The original music: recorded the sound from a human mouth. You can listen only in the concert or a live event.

Alex, I get it. When you have some free time on your hands, watch a YouTube video on how recordings are produced, from the ”mouth of the singer” to what you hear on YouTube. I think that you will be surprised by what goes on in between, specially nowadays. Even purist audiophile recordings undergo some postproduction work to polish them for release. Ideals are great, realities push us to make decisions, to adapt and thrive or to persist and push on. You and I are examples of each. You are enjoying what you have created as I’m what I have created. Cheers!

Last edited:
I made some adjustments and got a sound that has more body and heft. The sound now is much fuller and has harmonic density similar to magnetic tape and vinyl playback. The two attribute, transparency and density, are competing interests with each other as their names implies. The key is to strike the right balance.
Yes, this. High ips tape has that combo of intricate detail without losing body, imaging, heft or tonality, thus its luxuriousness as a source. Getting the upper bass/lower midrange hooked up correctly to the general midrange and upper midrange seems to be key.

Reactions: Carlos269
Hi Alex,
I actually went in the opposite direction. I started with a very transparent sound, but it sounded a bit thin and emphasized the high frequencies. I made some adjustments and got a sound that has more body and heft. The sound now is much fuller and has harmonic density similar to magnetic tape and vinyl playback. The two attribute, transparency and density, are competing interests with each other as their names implies. The key is to strike the right balance. Here is an example of a setting that features transparency and a second and third video with the settings for increased density, with the same song and system, just different System-Remastering settings:

Umm Carlos, I think you need to give up on this system…it’s just…well not good sounding. Recessed mids (listen to the recording on headphones and you will understand) with bloated bass. The first one is nails on chalkboard thin and the other two still lacking presence and transparency.
The other system that you played the Chris Cornell on sounds pretty good. IMO, the two systems are not comparable and sound radically different. Your horn setup also sounds quite good overall , so I am not quite sure why you can’t hear the WAAR system flaws.

Umm Carlos, I think you need to give up on this system…it’s just…well not good sounding. Recessed mids (listen to the recording on headphones and you will understand) with bloated bass. The first one is nails on chalkboard thin and the other two still lacking presence and transparency.
Let's see if he could tune the system to your liking.

Reactions: Carlos269
The other system that you played the Chris Cornell on sounds pretty good. IMO, the two systems are not comparable and sound radically different. Your horn setup also sounds quite good overall , so I am not quite sure why you can’t hear the WAAR system flaws.

Brad, you missed the point that I was making with three videos. I was demonstrating to Alex how I’m able to change the density of the vocals and level of transparency.

Regarding my WAAR system, I cannot seem to get it through to you, but I will try one more time. The WAAR system with my System-Remastering process can be dialed in and fine tuned to sound how the listeners wants, obviously depending ont heir skill level. I have dialed the WAAR system to sound EXACTLY like I want it to sound. The sound of the system may not appeal or impress you and that is okay because that is not one of my goals.o

As you mentioned, Imhave other systems that also sound great. Actually I have many, MANY other systems that sound phenomena, frankly better than any other systems that I have heard either in person or over videos. i’m no longer impressed by much outside of my stable nowadays.

The best way to prove a point is to post a video of your own to demonstrate your system’s sound.

One last point, I think part of your negative bias against the WAAR system is your past experience with the Bohlender 75” ribbon driver. The 75” ribbon driver on my speakers is not the exact same driver as the ones you heard. You did not have the premium driver:

“The Wisdom Audio SMART Planar Line Source designed by Tom Bohlender uses more filament trace runs that are narrower than the conventional RD50 or RD75 from Bohlender Graebener. Most important is it's patent pending circuit design dedicating certain runs for ultra-high frequency use. This SMART driver produces uncanny smoothness, greater detail, less distortion, but most of all--greatly improved high frequency response well above the range of 30KHz. All of this is achieved while preserving line source phenomena and negating the use of highly inadequate controversial techniques (added tweeter, or multiple tweeters, etc.). This allows for a single driver to produce over 80% of the spectrum, completely eliminating driver mating problems of phase alignment, speed matching, crossover abnormalities at highly exacting frequencies, and increased distortion. Although the Wisdom Audio SMARTdesign planar line source drivers are significantly better performers. Manufacturing them was an intensive and exhausting process. All Wisdom Audio products use the SMART planar line source drivers and they are exclusive to Wisdomproducts.”

Don’t focus so much on the sound of the WAAR system as it is currently dialed in to meet my needs, instead focus on the fact that with my System- Remastering process and equipment I can dial-in this or any other capable system sound exactly how you or anyone else wants it to sound. You not being able to comprehend this point is an example of someone not being able to see the forest for the trees.

Let's see if he could tune the system to your liking.

I could. I can also dial it in to your liking as well. That is the power and beauty of my System-Remastering process and equipment.

Brad woke up today and wanted to take a run at the big guy on campus.

Brad, you missed the point that I was making with three videos. I was demonstrating to Alex how I’m able to change the density of the vocals and level of transparency.

Regarding my WAAR system, I cannot seem to get it through to you, but I will try one more time. The WAAR system with my System-Remastering process can be dialed in and fine tuned to sound how the listeners wants, obviously depending ont heir skill level. I have dialed the WAAR system to sound EXACTLY like I want it to sound. The sound of the system may not appeal or impress you and that is okay because that is not one of my goals.o

As you mentioned, Imhave other systems that also sound great. Actually I have many, MANY other systems that sound phenomena, frankly better than any other systems that I have heard either in person or over videos. i’m no longer impressed by much outside of my stable nowadays.

The best way to prove a point is to post a video of your own to demonstrate your system’s sound.

One last point, I think part of your negative bias against the WAAR system is your past experience with the Bohlender 75” ribbon driver. The 75” ribbon driver on my speakers is not the exact same driver as the ones you heard. You did not have the premium driver:

“The Wisdom Audio SMART Planar Line Source designed by Tom Bohlender uses more filament trace runs that are narrower than the conventional RD50 or RD75 from Bohlender Graebener. Most important is it's patent pending circuit design dedicating certain runs for ultra-high frequency use. This SMART driver produces uncanny smoothness, greater detail, less distortion, but most of all--greatly improved high frequency response well above the range of 30KHz. All of this is achieved while preserving line source phenomena and negating the use of highly inadequate controversial techniques (added tweeter, or multiple tweeters, etc.). This allows for a single driver to produce over 80% of the spectrum, completely eliminating driver mating problems of phase alignment, speed matching, crossover abnormalities at highly exacting frequencies, and increased distortion. Although the Wisdom Audio SMARTdesign planar line source drivers are significantly better performers. Manufacturing them was an intensive and exhausting process. All Wisdom Audio products use the SMART planar line source drivers and they are exclusive to Wisdomproducts.”

Don’t focus so much on the sound of the WAAR system as it is currently dialed in to meet my needs, instead focus on the fact that with my System- Remastering process and equipment I can dial-in this or any other capable system sound exactly how you or anyone else wants it to sound. You not being able to comprehend this point is an example of someone not being able to see the forest for the trees.
How can you be the big guy on campus when you tune a system to sound so unrealistic?
Something is deeply inconsistent with your claims about this system and your others of yours that sound better (better than anything else posted is, IMO, a big stretch). You claim the others sound amazing and test the WAAR sounds distinctly worse as you have it tuned. Not just different. Comparison of this song streamed through good headphones demonstrates just how “off” your tuning is and yet you say that is how you like it? Why don’t your other systems sound that way if it’s “right” for you? This does not compute…

How can you be the big guy on campus when you tune a system to sound so unrealistic?
Something is deeply inconsistent with your claims about this system and your others of yours that sound better (better than anything else posted is, IMO, a big stretch). You claim the others sound amazing and test the WAAR sounds distinctly worse as you have it tuned. Not just different. Comparison of this song streamed through good headphones demonstrates just how “off” your tuning is and yet you say that is how you like it? Why don’t your other systems sound that way if it’s “right” for you? This does not compute…

Ok. I’m happy and satisfied with it. Why does that bother you so much? Show us your system instead of dwelling on mine. Have no doubt who is the king of the hill, ever play that game as a kid? Come at me bro! Just having a little fun on Sunday after an extended listening session last night that lasted into the early hours of this morning. Lets hear your system videos Brad. Something recent and not from five years ago. I assume that you have made progress since then, I would hope.

Last edited:
Ok. I’m happy and satisfied with it. Why does that bother you so much? Show us your system instead of dwelling on mine. Have no doubt who is the king of the hill, ever play that game as a kid? Come at me bro! Just having a little fun on Sunday after an extended listening session last night that lasted into the early hours of this morning. Lets hear your system videos Brad. Something recent and not from five years ago. I assume that you have made progress since then, I would hope.
The system itself doesn't bother me...it's how you tout it that bothers me. If you just said simply, "I like it", I wouldn't care one way or another. The claims you make for it don't bear out in the videos you post. The fact that you have some better sounding systems (I can assume you also have some worse sounding ones too) doesn't mean you really know what you are doing.

You have a rather shotgun approach, I assume because you have money and time...or a serious addiction, and some of it works out well and some of it doesn't. I don't see or hear an overriding philosophy on what constitutes good sound to you based on how different your systems all sound and the different gear you implement. You have built a system that you can tinker with almost infinitely...probably good for someone with an addiction rather than buying more gear, although based on how full your rooms are you have nearly exhausted that route, but it doesn't mean you can make it sound realistic, which so far from the videos you have posted, alludes you.

I actually had some hope for you with the horn system you built, which IMO is on the path to a realistic sounding system. Now you are moving on again to another horn system(?), or rather going back to the WAAR, which frankly never really sounded that great. Having owned BG planar drivers and now never desiring to use them again, I can understand why Ron has decided to move away from his Pendragons to a different planar.

Don't really care if I am king of the hill but based on your WAAR videos, you ain't it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing