'ShaknSpin' and 'ShaknSpin2' Turntable Analysers

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi WBF Members,

Does anybody have the 'ShaknSpin' (original version 1 or latest version 2 ('ShaknSpin2')) Turntable Analyser and if so, is it any good i.e. accuracy, ease of use, a useful product to check some of your TT performance parameters etc. or just a waste of money (RRP approx. US$260 / £240) ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Michael Framer seems to approve it in March 2021 !

HifiPig also looked at version 2 (March 2022) ;

However, it would be good to know if it is a useful and accurate device for people that have purchased it ?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I haven’t got a chance to use it but I checked it’s features from the link you shared. It’s calculations are based on DIN and WRMS. IMHO they are rather basic standards compared to AES. A certain integration time is necessary to properly measure w&f.

Results shared by reviwers (M. Fremer) using shakenspin are rather good. IMHO it’s because of shakenspin’s dependency to lower quality standards.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I haven’t got a chance to use it but I checked it’s features from the link you shared. It’s calculations are based on DIN and WRMS. IMHO they are rather basic standards compared to AES. A certain integration time is necessary to properly measure w&f.

Results shared by reviwers (M. Fremer) using shakenspin are rather good. IMHO it’s because of shakenspin’s dependency to lower quality standards.
Thank you 'mtemur'.. Very much appreciated. I will hold off from purchasing one then to check my Kuzma XL DC TT.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I recommend to use this:

Turntable Speed, Jere-Joonas Valtanen

and this:

RPM - Turntable Speed Accuracy, Philip Broder

apps for quick comparisons of turntables but they’re not reliable measuring devices. IMHO most accurate results -which are also worse compared to other devices- can be achieved by AM software.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I recommend to use this:

Turntable Speed, Jere-Joonas Valtanen

and this:

RPM - Turntable Speed Accuracy, Philip Broder

apps for quick comparisons of turntables but they’re not reliable measuring devices. IMHO most accurate results -which are also worse compared to other devices- can be achieved by AM software.
Thank you for the information 'mtemur'.

I currently use the 'KAB' Speed Strobe light (Illuminator) and accompanying 'KAB' Speed Strobe platter speed disc to regularly check and (if required) make slight adjustments to platter speed on my XL DC;

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thank you for the information 'mtemur'.

I currently use the 'KAB' Speed Strobe light (Illuminator) and accompanying 'KAB' Speed Strobe platter speed disc to regularly check and (if required) make slight adjustments to platter speed on my XL DC;

KAB is good for checking speed but unfortunately cartridge drag is left behind.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
KAB is good for checking speed but unfortunately cartridge drag is left behind.
I'm guessing that in the case of high mass platters with such high turning inertia and centrifugal forces (once up to speed) that any stylus drag forces will be infinitely small vs such turning forces from such a platter ?

If this isn't the case then we need a 'KAB' type Speed Strobe light with a special accompanying 'KAB' type Speed Strobe platter speed disc with the outer segment being a record (for the stylus to play on) and the inner section the strobe platter to check the speed ?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I'm guessing that in the case of high mass platters with such high turning inertia and centrifugal forces (once up to speed) that any stylus drag forces will be infinitely small vs such turning forces from such a platter ?

If this isn't the case then we need a 'KAB' type Speed Strobe light with a special accompanying 'KAB' type Speed Strobe platter speed disc with the outer segment being a record (for the stylus to play on) and the inner section the strobe platter to check the speed ?
It’s relatively small but still needs to taken into account. For example it’s around 0.06rpm for a 18kg platter and 2g VTF with a shibata stylus. This is without an encoder (platter's revolution counter) and correction system.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The KAB strobe disc is a little larger than a 45 rpm record, so I just place it on top of a 33 rpm record while playing songs on the outer tracks to account for stylus drag.
Very clever!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The KAB strobe disc is a little larger than a 45 rpm record, so I just place it on top of a 33 rpm record while playing songs on the outer tracks to account for stylus drag.
That's a great idea 'Walnut Horns'. A+

My KAB strobe disc is much larger than a 7" record i.e. diameter of my strobe disc is approx. 255mm (approx. 10").

Therefore I only have approx. 17mm (approx. 0.75") of playing distance with a 12" record. However this should be enough space to give me the time to check the platter speed with the KAB Speed Strobe light turned on and ready to go.

I will have a go with this tonight.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Another idea I have is to stick a marker to the side of my XL DC platter and use a digital non contact portable tachometer set up on my Dino-Lite microscope RK-10A stand at the side of my TT.
Then I can check the platter speed with a record playing at the beginning, middle and close to the end of a record.

For Wow and Flutter check maybe I should purchase the AnalogMagik V2 ? which would also allow me to fully check my current cartridge set-up (which was done professionally by a Kuzma Dealer before my TT and 4Point 11" arm was delivered to me last July).

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Another idea I have is to stick a marker to the side of my XL DC platter and use a digital non contact portable tachometer set up on my Dino-Lite microscope RK-10A stand at the side of my TT.
Then I can check the platter speed with a record playing at the beginning, middle and close to the end of a record.

For Wow and Flutter check maybe I should purchase the AnalogMagik V2 ? which would also allow me to fully check my current cartridge set-up (which was done professionally by a Kuzma Dealer before my TT and 4Point 11" arm was delivered to me last July).
Looking online at digital non contact portable / hand-held tachometers, most of them have readouts and accuracies to only to one decimal place !

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Then I can check the platter speed with a record playing at the beginning, middle and close to the end of a
I used them, laser tachometer, it’s not useful. results are not consistent. Maybe you can find a better one. IMHO if you’re not going to use AM or another computer software, iphone apps are the next best thing. Actually after determining margin of error, RPM app is the best thing for quickly checking the speed of turntable.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Even better is the Micro Seiki small metal disk strobe the size of a record label. You can play the whole side of an LP and check speed at beginning middle and end for variation.

I now compare the results from my Sutherland Timeline with the RoadRunner tachometer while playing music. They match and if I induce drag by putting my finger on the platter, both devices reflect the change in sync.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Even better is the Micro Seiki small metal disk strobe the size of a record label. You can play the whole side of an LP and check speed at beginning middle and end for variation.

I now compare the results from my Sutherland Timeline with the RoadRunner tachometer while playing music. They match and if I induce drag by putting my finger on the platter, both devices reflect the change in sync.

Peter, do you find the Sutherland Timeline to be easier to use than the KAB Stroboscope?

I would get the RoadRunner, but for some reason I cringe at the idea of having the transmitter attached to the platter.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Peter, do you find the Sutherland Timeline to be easier to use than the KAB Stroboscope?

I would get the RoadRunner, but for some reason I cringe at the idea of having the transmitter attached to the platter.

Using the RoadRunner with the Balance is very easy. You just need to glue the tiny magnet under the platter at the outer edge. The sensor needs to be placed underneath the platter. I used a small piece of wood to which I attached the sensor and I placed it behind the plinth with a small patch of blue tack between the piece of wood and the platform so the sensor would not move.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Using the RoadRunner with the Balance is very easy. You just need to glue the tiny magnet under the platter at the outer edge. The sensor needs to be placed underneath the platter. I used a small piece of wood to which I attached the sensor and I placed it behind the plinth with a small patch of blue tack between the piece of wood and the platform so the sensor would not move.

I understand, thank you. But I don't want to glue something to the platter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Yes, the Timeline is easier to use and it has the advantage of allowing the entire side to be played. It is also interesting to watch the dash and interpret what any changes to its size and location might indicated while you are listening to the music. The KAB is plenty easy to use and you can see small speed changes. Holding the light is a hassle, and you have to be careful with playing a record and running into the disk. My SME table showed variation with stylus drag, so I set the speed while music was playing. The Micro SX8000 II and my new AS2000 are immune to stylus drag.

The RoadRunner is excellent and is easiest. It is no longer available. I have one in addition to the built in one on my AS2000. The tiny magnet transmitter is a non issue. Mounting the reader to the plinth is a small challenge, but fine once figured out. Mine are hidden in back, so not visible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing