Server vs. DAC - How you split your funds between the two?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I started with an Innuos Zenith server and a Lampi GG, so DAC was 4 times the price of the server.

Than I started the learning curve with improved server, improved DACs...,
and ended with Antipodes Oladra server and Lampi Baltic IV, so server was 4 times the price of the DAC.

Performance was just better.

Reactions: exupgh12 and Rexp

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Did you ever had the chance to check more expensive server in your system?
No. I had SGM Evo before.
But APL Streamer is hard to beat paired with APL DAC. The synergy is great, and the sound is stellar.

the streamer is not cheap. €12,100
The dac is expensive: €49,000
Planning to step up to the new APL DSD GR model.

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Streaming going through a quality switch is also better than going straight to the DAC. Check out Ansuz switches. Streaming through quality switches can also exceed the performance of streaming through servers. Depends on the switch, depends on the server. I was trying to make the point that it can be beneficial to allocate a significant amount to a quality audiophile switch.
How do you access Tidal/Qobuz by just using a switch? Thanks!

Conde

Jun 29, 2013
Pasadena, CA
How do you access Tidal/Qobuz by just using a switch? Thanks!
My dac is an endpoint. The JPlay app is used to control from Qobuz (or Tidal). I understand mconnect can work similarly. A good switch can be instrumental in mitigating internet network noise. No local server necessary (in my case) to stream music from the internet. JPlay can be used from an iPad, iPhone, or similar device

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I started with an Innuos Zenith server and a Lampi GG, so DAC was 4 times the price of the server.

Than I started the learning curve with improved server, improved DACs...,
and ended with Antipodes Oladra server and Lampi Baltic IV, so server was 4 times the price of the DAC.

Performance was just better.
Interesting testimonial
I wish I could try next level server, however it’s hard to get one for demo over here.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
server 25%, DAC 75%

Reactions: F208Frank

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
what is the server you use with your lampizator?

Innuos PULSEmini

It is a streamer only, not a server (no onboard storage).

Reactions: exupgh12

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Most servers are network attached these days so perhaps the question should be Server/Streamer vs DAC?

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Most servers are network attached these days so perhaps the question should be Server/Streamer vs DAC?
good Point, however if looking into members answers on the thread, I think everyone are referring to server\streamer, not stand alone server.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
This is an interesting thread. I understand computer streamer/servers are electrically noisy and have poor power supplies. Thus many of us have moved to streamer/servers that address these issues at reasonable prices (i.e. less than $10K). I did and saw very modest gains. The question becomes when one moves to the very upper end of the range what kind of delta can be expected? Then there's the value proposition and what I'll call "bang for buck" (i.e. opportunity cost). Would those funds be better spent elsewhere in the system? After all the purpose of the streamer/server is to send packets of 1/0's to the DAC as a clean square wave.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
good Point, however if looking into members answers on the thread, I think everyone are referring to server\streamer, not stand alone server.
Not me. My streamer needs the NAS (Synology DS918 is mine) for the music files and for Roon Server.
I forgot to say that.

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Not me. My streamer needs the NAS (Synology DS918 is mine) for the music files and for Roon Server.
I forgot to say that.
Thank you for adding that information.

Reactions: joaovieira

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Perhaps the difference between marketing and reality.
While I may not have all the technical knowledge, my background in networking, IT, and cybersecurity has led me to believe that 0s and 1s are just 0s and 1s. However, a few years ago, I became curious when people claimed to hear differences in sound quality with different Ethernet cables. To investigate, I purchased several cables and, to my surprise, found the differences to be very audible. I later experimented with different switches to assess their impact on sound quality, and once again, the results were affirmative.

So, while 0s and 1s remain the same in terms of digital information on the network, it's clear that other factors, such as RFI, reclocking, or variations in optical cable clarity, can affect sound quality. I may not have all the answers, but I trust my ears when there are such distinct differences in sound quality.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
My current breakdown is 41% Server/Streamer and 59% DAC. My server/streamer evolution has gone from:

1) C.A.P.S. 2 that I put together
2) Antipodes DX II (clear step up in SQ)
3) Roon Nucleus (when Roon's software bloat "stuffed" my DX II - - this was a bad step backwards in SQ, while I awaited what was next)
4) Taiko Extreme (very, very significant upgrade in SQ from the DX II level that had been my previous best).

As Taiko has added their own USB output card, their TAS software and now their XDMS software evolution, their own Switch I have realized significantly better SQ with each of these steps.

Apparently the handling of the analog electrical signals that are interpreted to be 1's and 0's matters a whole lot. One who ignores exploring server options is likely leaving a lot of SQ potential on the table, in my estimation. What's the right balance of expenditure will be totally situational, however, depending upon the particular digital chain and the level of the system it's playing in, I would guess.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
While I may not have all the technical knowledge, my background in networking, IT, and cybersecurity has led me to believe that 0s and 1s are just 0s and 1s. However, a few years ago, I became curious when people claimed to hear differences in sound quality with different Ethernet cables. To investigate, I purchased several cables and, to my surprise, found the differences to be very audible. I later experimented with different switches to assess their impact on sound quality, and once again, the results were affirmative.

So, while 0s and 1s remain the same in terms of digital information on the network, it's clear that other factors, such as RFI, reclocking, or variations in optical cable clarity, can affect sound quality. I may not have all the answers, but I trust my ears when there are such distinct differences in sound quality.
Very refreshing to see someone with technical background still being open minded enough to hear for oneself, wonderful.

Reactions: 7ryder

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
No, I believe that it is 100% effective at eliminating any noise prior to transmission of the synchronous but-perfect datastream into the sensitive DAC chassis. That’s how galvanic isolation works.
That is a very naive statement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing