Seeking articulate subwoofer advice

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I’ve read several complaints about JL Audio’s reliability - needing to send it in for a fix. I am a big fan of low maintenance/reliability and JL subwoofers make me nervous to purchase, otherwise JL would be my top choice.
That was very common in their initial releases (bad capacitors required replacement), but haven't heard of any issues with v2 or later versions.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That was very common in their initial releases (bad capacitors required replacement), but haven't heard of any issues with v2 or later versions.

I've had my v2 for 5 1/2 years now, no issues.

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
I'm a hack. This is what I've learned.
You don't get to hear what the instrument actually sounds like from a post produced recording unless you played on the recording. Even then, you take the money and shut up.
Those who trial and error sub positioning and using DSP as a means to ameliorate standing wave nulls need help.
-6dB sub-bass speakers with low frequency roll off and subsonic output so dramatically lacking that room positioning is simply not critical. Confusing the market by referring to them as subwoofers. Enough...

If this is your first -3dB subwoofer proper room location is key to its best performance potential at the listening position. Since every room has its own signature standing wave bass modes locations I've found manufactures positioning diagrams to be coincidental at best.

Using low frequency sweep or test tones of your choosing to be played through a sub temporarily positioned at the listening position with a long inexpensive interconnect are the first steps for using the "subwoofer Crawl" or stroll. During the low frequency playback one strolls or crawls the room audibly confirming and mapping the louder bass mode locations within YOUR room. It takes less than an hour, no trial and error involved and it need only be done once.

Bass modes are usually near room boundaries. When positioned within or very near a bass mode the subwoofer now has an advantage of using less volume, equalization and optimization processing which can allow for greater articulation and processing flexibility in the setup process that follows. That's it.

In 2011 I knew of only one subwoofer with remote control onboard Room Optimization that uses the audio system to play its Sweep Tones CD through the speakers in the room and the sub at the same time. After its Crawl positioning this subs 20 minute Auto EQ adjusts twelve subwoofer specific parameters within its eight discrete frequency bands complimenting the speakers low frequency presentation from 200Hz within the room. Allowing the user manual adjustment of the same parameters as well as six customizable EQ presets to taste, all saved to memory. Maintaining an average THD of .5db. 'PLUS', the main speakers remain in analog. I still have two.
Unfortunately the California company was sold in 2019 to pursue another technology.

Thomastik Weich, 9'8" Bing Continental, Calfee Tetra Campy, Kneekon Z9.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing