SAT XD-1 Turntable Debut at The Audio Salon

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Another nice report, Ron. It's interesting that he went 'passive' in the vibration control. One less thing to plug in, but he is adding the vacuum hold down system, so there will be the pump.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Passive beats active in that it’s never reacting. It just “is”. The Minus K is a particularly ingenious and effective device. It’s basically leaf springs in pre-bending mode.easily adjustable and super stable...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I always thought that active devices were just more blinking lights on the audiophile holodeck, and that well implemented passive solutions are sufficient.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Passive beats active in that it’s never reacting. It just “is”. The Minus K is a particularly ingenious and effective device. It’s basically leaf springs in pre-bending mode.easily adjustable and super stable...

Hi Michael

How does the SAT compare to the AF0 in this system?

cheers

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Did you rap on the plinth/table with the system on and a stylus on a record?

TLi

May 27, 2016
The demo SAT turntable is not a final product. It is not even a final prototype, may be considered as a concept map.

As Marc said the titanium inner tube tonearm is not ready, the suction is not in place. The sound will very different in the final product. The titanium inner tube with Ti cartridge headshell will made the sound much brighter than the other SAT arms.

Suction will reduce vibration on disc surface, further enhancing resolution. It will be interesting to listen to the final sound. But when one is charging this amount of money for a turntable and the final sound is not ready for audition, it really takes a lot of faith on Marc to place an order.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
View attachment 53308

Today Steve and I attended Marc Gomez’s demonstration of his brand new SAT XD1 turntable. The event was hosted by Maier Shadi, proprietor of The Audio Salon in Santa Monica, California. Michael Fremer, Editor of AnalogPlanet, expertly and entertainingly performed DJ duties.

The XD1, as Marc explained, is as small as possible but no smaller. The concept here was to allow the engineering and design and functionality to drive the form and the aesthetics. The sides of the base of the turntable are rounded and machined to diffract acoustic vibration from the speakers of the system in which the turntable is employed.

Marc explained how he does not believe in the concept of “voicing” audio components to sound a certain way. Rather, as an engineer, Marc’s philosophy is to imagine, design and build the best product he can make with the best quality materials from an engineering perspective, focusing on maximizing performance, and the resulting product will inevitably sound great.

This direct drive turntable is obviously extremely well-machined with great precision. While Marc uses a motor manufactured by Technics, he machines his own motor support structure which is literally about 10 times the weight of the standard motor base. (Marc passed around the original Technics base and his custom base for comparison.) Marc uses the magnets and windings and the electronic controller of the Technics motor, but modifies other aspects of the motor for his custom use.

The base for the platter and the motor is supported by three large pods which have a viscoelastic dampening layer.

The entire turntable base is machined from a single billet of magnesium alloy. Similarly the case for the motor controller is machined from a billet of magnesium alloy.

View attachment 53310

The entire turntable sits on a Minus K negative stiffness vibration isolation platform, which is custom-made by Minus K to Marc’s specifications for the XD1. Like the turntable base and the motor controller case the box for the Minus K platform is machined from a solid rectangular slab of metal.

During the demonstration I asked Marc: “While I appreciate that the Minus K platform is made to your specifications for your turntable, given that this is a state-of-the-art and cost no object design why didn’t you make an isolation platform which is integrated with the turntable itself rather than being separated from the turntable by the intermediary footer pods?”

Marc replied that he wanted a passive, and not an active, vibration isolation solution, and that of all of the available technologies the Minus K provides exactly the vibration isolation functionality he wanted. With regard to why the turntable has feet which sit on a separate platform he said that he specifically wanted an intermediate vibration dampening function performed by the visco-elastic component of the pods which attenuates vibration at higher frequencies than does the Minus K platform.

Interestingly, Marc said that he is planning to design a vacuum hold-down system which will be a standard part of the XD1.

Marc mentioned that he will be offering a specialized and dedicated version of his tonearm specifically for the XD1, and that this specialized version will not be available separately from the turntable. Among other special titanium parts, this specialized tonearm will have a titanium tube inside the carbon fiber arm-wand.

View attachment 53311

As with the system I heard a few weeks ago at The Audio Salon the phono stage and the line stage and the power amplifiers are all solid-state components made by Dan D’Agostino. The sound from the system today fronted by a Lyra Atlas SL cartridge on the new version of the SAT tonearm, the CF1, on the XD1 turntable was very clean, very transparent, high in resolution and dynamics, and very detailed. This analog front-end is a very “transparent to source” type of sound.

I feel strongly that anybody who enjoys the sonic attributes of the SAT tonearm will be very excited by the sonic attributes of the XD1 turntable. I assume that many of Marc’s tonearm customers will want to buy the turntable as well, getting the specialized titanium tubed tonearm for the turntable in the process.

Thanks to Marc for a very interesting demonstration and technical explanation! Thanks to Maier for hosting the event (and for inviting me), and thanks to Michael for telling interesting background stories spinning vinyl!
Ron, interesting report, but I'm not getting any idea on musicality from yr mini review. I believe Mike Fremer said the original GP Monaco DD tt had detail and resolution, yet it didn't charm him. I've heard a few digital front ends recently that were uber resolving yet would be hard for me to live with l/t.

How was the SAT tt on the musical/emotional connection stakes, versus AF0?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, interesting report, but I'm not getting any idea on musicality from yr mini review. I believe Mike Fremer said the original GP Monaco DD tt had detail and resolution, yet it didn't charm him. I've heard a few digital front ends recently that were uber resolving yet would be hard for me to live with l/t.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/grand-prix-audio-monaco-direct-drive-turntable-page-4

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

A valid comparison like this is impossible if one wants to maintain any semblance of intellectual honesty about it.

o_O

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, one day I get in a La Ferrari.
The next I get in a Zonda. The next in a Veyron. On different roads etc. And it's intellectually dishonest to draw a valid comparison? C'mon.

Reactions: XV-1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Put it this way, I'd have an absolutely burnt in impression of the AF0 from a few wks earlier that would be dead simple to compare the SAT tt against.

Reactions: Lagonda and XV-1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The demo SAT turntable is not a final product. It is not even a final prototype, may be considered as a concept map.

As Marc said the titanium inner tube tonearm is not ready, the suction is not in place. The sound will very different in the final product. The titanium inner tube with Ti cartridge headshell will made the sound much brighter than the other SAT arms.

Suction will reduce vibration on disc surface, further enhancing resolution. It will be interesting to listen to the final sound. But when one is charging this amount of money for a turntable and the final sound is not ready for audition, it really takes a lot of faith on Marc to place an order.
TLi, why would one demo a product not even close to completion? Vacuum hold down will surely alter the sound a lot. Is the stated price gonna be the final price for the design to incl vacuum?

Reactions: lordcloud

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Thanks for that information.

I had not read a reference to the demo of a prototype in Ron's report. Maybe I missed it. TLI, I'm guessing you were at one of the sessions. Could there be two different versions of the table as there will be different versions of the tonearm, one especially for the table, one not. Was there any discussion of release dates for any of these? Since the SAT table is hand built by MGomez, perhaps it will truly be a bespoke product.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
If this is not a finished prototype, what was then the purpose of this presentation ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
If this is not a finished prototype, what was then the purpose of this presentation ?

Pre-orders. The AF0 was not the production model either.

pre-orders will dictate whether the project will go ahead and what the financial palatable price will be.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Pre-orders. The AF0 was not the production model either.

pre-orders will dictate whether the project will go ahead and what the financial palatable price will be.
So you mean all we have to do to stop the insane spiralling escalation of pricing of the very top end is to just stop ordering them and wait for sanity to prevail.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
So all we have to do to stop the insane spiralling escalation of pricing of the very top end is to just stop ordering them and wait for sanity to prevail.

I am doing my part. I am not ordering the SAT or the AF0. :)

A manufacturer of kit this expensive has to scope out whether there is is a market, how many he can manufacturer to make it viable and what price.

We have see a few very expensive turntables never get to production. Goldmund and the Av Design Haus’ Dereneville VPM 2010-1 to name two. Even the Basis Audio Work of Art, did that ever get into real production?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

A manufacturer of kit this expensive has to scope out whether there is is a market, how many he can manufacturer to make it viable and what price.

We have see a few very expensive turntables never get to production. Goldmund and the Av Design Haus’ Dereneville VPM 2010-1 to name two. Even the Basis Audio Work of Art, did that ever get into real production?

We heard the basis work of art at the Italian distributor. What level of finished prototype it was I am not sure. You can do a find for basis

http://zero-distortion.org/the-italian-over-the-top-road-trip/

Reactions: XV-1

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

I was going to go for comedy... but the salient truth is for me (and this is a serious but also modest question) does anyone really need a better turntable than say the AS2000.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't think people need a better TT than a brinkmann balance, except they can have different, in case they have a harem, like an EMT 927 or a thorens reference to play specific type of music. I think people get too caught up trying to find one very good table, while each table in reality is a compromise, so they are better off spreading the budget to get a harem where each table excels at something.

The EMT and thorens reference will not be my first choice for a one only table, but they will be the top choice for table 2 and 3 (providing I had the money)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing