Saskia model two

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it is here. :cool:

it's got presence. it took 3 people to lift the beast (just the 180 pound plinth/motor assembly) into place. i love the look and feel of it.

i've got a 7am flight to West Virginia (via Chicago) in the morning, back late Wednesday night. so it will sit here waiting for me. hopefully by the time i return the arm boards will arrive from Win.

i don't love business trips to begin with; this one is going to seem very long.

Saskia-6.jpg Saskia-7.jpg Saskia-4.jpg Saskia-5.jpg Saskia-8.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't remember seeing a TT looking more simple than that.
It can play albums without a tonearm? ;)

Mike, are you going to install a linear tracking one?

i do have a Saskia arm board for a 12" Schroeder pivoting linear tracker (uses a cam). so i guess it's something i may explore. but it's not imminent.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
And I thought nothing could be blacker than an SME.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Without any perspective it looks like it's for playing 7" discs! It's a beast.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It looks like the idler drive wheel has a circumference rim of slate. I believe the platter is also at least partly slate. That means slate drives slate?

If my theories about slate being a great disperser of vibrations aiding neutrality is correct, this Saskia has taken this to extremes (mass loaded plinths, isolation of armboard, the driver).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It looks like the idler drive wheel has a circumference rim of slate. I believe the platter is also at least partly slate. That means slate drives slate?

If my theories about slate being a great disperser of vibrations aiding neutrality is correct, this Saskia has taken this to extremes (mass loaded plinths, isolation of armboard, the driver).

I did not touch the drive wheel, but looking close it appeared to be hard rubber or possibly some sort of hard polymer.

Close up all the pieces have the precision of a Swiss watch. And it’s cool how the whole upper plinth is one piece of slate.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OMA also uses all slate. Their technics didn't do anything for me but the lenco was musical. Their Garrard looks beautiful in person, didn't get to hear it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mike, I thought I had read Saskia was all-slate, plinths, platter and idler drive-wheel. Maybe it's not ideal or practical to run slate to slate at drive-wheel to platter interface.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The platter appears to be types of metal, so if the drive wheel was slate I would expect that would be noisy and would quickly ware out. Slate on metal would be like sandpaper.

According to Win, the Saskia platter takes a few seconds to get up to speed and stabilize. Then it’s meant to be left running during a session. The spindle is extra tall to allow for easy on and off of the record.

I wonder if the spindle is too tall for my Durand record weight. I do have a few others here on hand to try. I will have to do diligence and test the record weight benefit for the Saskia. Every turntable is potentially different on that issue.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe go sans record weight for a change?

Reactions: Folsom

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Mike. That is a sleek looking table. May I ask a few questions?

1. The platter reminds me of an old Basis platter with the four slots for vacuum hold down. What are the four lines on the platter surface?

2. What is the interface between the top chassis and the base plate?

3. Also, other photos on the net show what appear to be two spirit levels on the front right corner. I had thought they were imbedded in the chassis. Does your table not have those?

I agree that the machining looks to be at an extremely high level.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, Mike. That is a sleek looking table. May I ask a few questions?

1. The platter reminds me of an old Basis platter with the four slots for vacuum hold down. What are the four lines on the platter surface?
Peter,

2. What is the interface between the top chassis and the base plate?

3. Also, other photos on the net show what appear to be two spirit levels on the front right corner. I had thought they were imbedded in the chassis. Does your table not have those?

I agree that the machining looks to be at an extremely high level.
Peter,

Those slots are actually felt (or rubber)looking inserts promoting platter-pressing interface.

I could not exactly determine during my brief inspection how top and base levels are attached. I felt inside and some of it was soft which I assumed was dampening of some sort.

Those spirt levels are only on the original prototype, not production units, according to Win.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The slots (whatever they are) may be to stop the record from spinning independently from the platter.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I heard a Saskia years ago at RMAF when Win was playing it with old Altec (??) Hi Eff speakers. Fremer was in there receiving lord of the manor treatment in the sweet spot. It sounded good, but I wanted to go back later to listen more with fewer distractions but never made it back again.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When Mike has it all set up and ready to go, let's ask him to send invitations to all of us for a Special getaway from the cities and traffic and CO2 and world news in general.
And, he can collect our cell phones before we enter the premises, before crossing the front gate. :cool:

We can all bring food to share for the weekend, and pitch our tents, and outside barbecues.

* Mike, do you have a swimming pool, so that we can bring our bathing Speedo suits with swimming towels.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
When Mike has it all set up and ready to go, let's ask him to send invitations to all of us for a Special getaway from the cities and traffic and CO2 and world news in general.
And, he can collect our cell phones before we enter the premises, before crossing the front gate. :cool:

We can all bring food to share for the weekend, and pitch our tents, and outside barbecues.

* Mike, do you have a swimming pool, so that we can bring our bathing Speedo suits with swimming towels.
Can I bring Romy the Cat?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm not sure Mike's wife will be that pleased to see all of us.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing