Sasha DAW vs Alexia 2

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Mephisto is very demanding of the upstream gear. My preamp has to go unfortunately. I am still waiting for a demo CH L1 to arrive, but it will be brand new:( At least Pandora is fully broken in. I’ve borrowed a Lampi Pacific, and with 242 tubes my digital sounds better, than my vinyl rig and I am puzzled. Now I have to change the tubes in my phono?!!!:) It’s a nightmare that started with the change of speakers.

Reactions: christoph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Big fan of Wilson and Gryphon. Would love to hear more about your impressions of Mephisto in comparison with CH amplification now that you have had a little more time with the Mephisto. Currently, my own system is in flux with XLFs yet to be adjusted, Gryphon in the shop due to a problem with the CJ GAT 2 which triggered a fault with the Gryphon unfortunately, and of course new preamp on the way.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Sorry to hear about your system issues. What new preamp are you waiting for?
I am very eager for Pandora vs L1 comparison, and to be honest, I am a little biased towards L1. I almost bought A1.5, but to my ears Antileon Evo was superior to A1.5 in several important areas. M1.1 was not available for an audition at that time and I got a little impatient, so Mephisto was kind of an impulse acquisition:) Now I have my doubts, maybe I should have waited for M1.1.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am also very interested to hear your comparison between Pandora and L1. I have spoken with a few people who have done that comparison. From the sounds of it, your instincts for your tastes may be correct. I have heard great things about the Pandora and sensational things about the L1. On the amp, I have heard different things...really more about personal taste in comparison between the two.

I am waiting for Robert Koda K15EX.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Sorry to hear about your system issues. What new preamp are you waiting for?
I am very eager for Pandora vs L1 comparison, and to be honest, I am a little biased towards L1. I almost bought A1.5, but to my ears Antileon Evo was superior to A1.5 in several important areas. M1.1 was not available for an audition at that time and I got a little impatient, so Mephisto was kind of an impulse acquisition:) Now I have my doubts, maybe I should have waited for M1.1.
Sorry that you are having second thoughts. I have Pass Labs Xa 100.8. and Sasha. Initially the upper bass drove me crazy. Room treatment fixed the problem. I expected you to like CH.Seems you need an amplifier to work with DAW and also with your preamp. Do try the luxman or Pass Labs 160.8 or CH . Wish I could advise a preamp. I run MSB direct . I did not like preamp. Not even Ref 6 nor Pass lans XP 22. Good luck. Persevere , you will get there . Don’t forget to just enjoy the music.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am now listening to Mephisto with my old preamp and a set of MIT cables. Oh my...:)) The richness of tone and the punch are incredible. I really doubt that any other transistor amp would be able to challenge Gryphon in these areas. So, Mephisto will most likely stay in my system for a long time. Still waiting for a demo L1 to compare with Pandora and MSB Reference direct.
By the way, had an opportunity to audition P1 + X1 last week. Another big revelation and I thought, that my IO is a very good phonostage. I have no idea how CH does it, but it is another transistor component that does not sound like a transistor component:))

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I am now listening to Mephisto with my old preamp and a set of MIT cables. Oh my...:)) The richness of tone and the punch are incredible. I really doubt that any other transistor amp would be able to challenge Gryphon in these areas. So, Mephisto will most likely stay in my system for a long time. Still waiting for a demo L1 to compare with Pandora and MSB Reference direct.
By the way, had an opportunity to audition P1 + X1 last week. Another big revelation and I thought, that my IO is a very good phonostage. I have no idea how CH does it, but it is another transistor component that does not sound like a transistor component:))
Now u r talking my language;MSB DIRECT. No preamp. Please post your impression

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...it is always nice to hear owners try new configurations and get great results. If you ever get a chance do try the Robert Koda K15EX. I am a CJ preamp owner for over 20-years culminating in the CJ GAT 2...and moving across to the Robert Koda K15EX was effortless. While I cannot say I have a lot of experience with different preamps, I find the pairing of Robert Koda K15EX and the Gryphon Mephisto one of natural partners.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks! I doubt very much, that Robert Koda gear is available for audition in my country. Both Pandora and CH L1 are safe choices in my case, so I’ll stick to those two:)
And I am more concerned now with finding an XLR and a set of speaker cables at a sane price. At least, in case of power cords, we have Sablon Prince (I have one) and new Shunyata Alpha and Sigma V2, which are very good. It is a different matter with signal cables in my view (and yes, I‘ve compared MIT and Sablon speaker cables).

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks! I doubt very much, that Robert Koda gear is available for audition in my country. Both Pandora and CH L1 are safe choices in my case, so I’ll stick to those two:)
And I am more concerned now with finding an XLR and a set of speaker cables at a sane price. At least, in case of power cords, we have Sablon Prince (I have one) and new Shunyata Alpha and Sigma V2, which are very good. It is a different matter with signal cables in my view (and yes, I‘ve compared MIT and Sablon speaker cables).
Go with Pandora for Mephisto or Boulder
gryphon xlr is very good as are their speaker cables for Mephisto
audio quest I’d and speaker also good for Mephisto and Wilson
or best synergistic research
good luck

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I use the Sablon Prince with the Mephisto and really like it, preferring it to the PAD 25th Anniversary and 20th Anniversary Cables as well as even the Gryphon VIP Reference Cable.

As for XLRs, I use TA Opus throughout the system...something which I know both Wilson and Rockport use in their own systems. After trying a few over the years, I have enjoyed sticking with TA. I also have found it helpful to speak with both Wilson and Rockport who often use them in their own sound systems and rooms. Wilson and Rockport both use the wiring within their speakers (XLF in my case)...plus Rockport have long used Gryphon amplification in their systems in their own sound rooms. As a result, I agree with their own far greater experience that they work well together...but cannot say the prices are for the faint of heart!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
good luck
Interesting that Jay (video reviewer of Boulder 2150 vs Mephisto) was using both Audioquest and Synergistic in 2 different videos.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
good luck
Pandora is a safe choice, but I want it to go head to head with CH L1. I don't have a rational explanation, but Pandora does not excite me. And I'll also have an opportunity to compare M1.1 to Mephisto. Should be fun;). I probably should have done it before buying Mephisto...

I just bought one set of Gryphon VIP XLR cable, currently using it between my phono stage and line stage. It is a good cable and a good value for the money, if one can get it with a discount.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I use the Sablon Prince with the Mephisto and really like it, preferring it to the PAD 25th Anniversary and 20th Anniversary Cables as well as even the Gryphon VIP Reference Cable.

As for XLRs, I use TA Opus throughout the system...something which I know both Wilson and Rockport use in their own systems. After trying a few over the years, I have enjoyed sticking with TA. I also have found it helpful to speak with both Wilson and Rockport who often use them in their own sound systems and rooms. Wilson and Rockport both use the wiring within their speakers (XLF in my case)...plus Rockport have long used Gryphon amplification in their systems in their own sound rooms. As a result, I agree with their own far greater experience that they work well together...but cannot say the prices are for the faint of heart!
Checked the prices of Opus. I am sure they are great cables, but using a $39,000 speaker cable for a $38,000 speaker is kind of extravagant:). Maybe when I upgrade to XVX:p!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Late to the game but congrats! I may be interested in an Antileon Evo.

Curious - did you ever think of spending the $ on bigger Wilsons (Alexia) and the Antileon Evo versus your current Sashas + uber expensive Mephisto? That might be a better bang for your $ considering your amp cost more than your speakers.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I did consider Alexia, bit they were not available for audition at the time. Mephisto was an impulse buy. The dealer refused to give it to me for audition after Antileon, I wanted to hear it so badly, and everybody around me kept saying that it is so good...:)) Now I want to compare it to M1.1 just to have a peace of mind.
Antileon Evo is great, but it is so dynamic, I would say it is raw sounding to the extreme and would reveal all the flaws in your source components, cables or room. If crazy dynamics are not your thing, I would go with CH 1.5 at this price range, to my taste it is a more musical amp.

Reactions: sbo6

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I did consider Alexia, bit they were not available for audition at the time. Mephisto was an impulse buy. The dealer refused to give it to me for audition after Antileon, I wanted to hear it so badly, and everybody around me kept saying that it is so good...:)) Now I want to compare it to M1.1 just to have a peace of mind.
Antileon Evo is great, but it is so dynamic, I would say it is raw sounding to the extreme and would reveal all the flaws in your source components, cables or room. If crazy dynamics are not your thing, I would go with CH 1.5 at this price range, to my taste it is a more musical amp.
Paired with which preamp/linestage?
I remember that you'll have the Coincident statement linestage (I used It for almost 4-5 years in my system before changing again...).

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Paired with which preamp/linestage?
I remember that you'll have the Coincident statement linestage (I used It for almost 4-5 years in my system before changing again...).
I was using Gryphon Essence, when I compared Antileon with A1.5.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I've heard the larger CH precision monoblocks and the matching preamp and the immediacy was closest to a real band I've ever heard. But it's a mostly neutral amp (not that that's a bad thing). The Antileon Evo has a bit of warmth if the reviews are correct, and that might be what I'm after. are you now thinking of moving to the CH Precision amp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing