Samsung’s New 8-Inch Tablet Takes on the iPad Mini

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By BRIAN X. CHEN

Samsung Electronics is taking yet another swipe at its longtime partner, Apple. The South Korean manufacturer on Saturday introduced a new 8-inch tablet, intended to compete directly with Apple’s 7.9-inch iPad Mini.

Like Samsung’s other tablets (and unlike the iPad), the Galaxy Note 8.0 includes a stylus, runs Android software and is capable of showing multiple apps on the screen at the same time. Samsung’s previous tablets came in 7 inches and 10 inches, measured diagonally.

The Galaxy Note 8.0 will be available for purchase in the second quarter of this year, Samsung said. The company did not list a price. The iPad Mini costs $330.

Apple’s iPad still dominates the tablet market, but tablets from Samsung and Amazon have been gaining traction. Over the last holiday season, Apple sold 22.9 million iPads, Amazon shipped 4.6 million tablets, and Samsung shipped 7.6 million tablets, according to Canalys, a research firm.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Interesting! I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 1 phone and especially the included stylus...I use it all the time. This new tablet may be just the thing for me at a good pricepoint to replace my aging Toshiba laptop. Thanks for posting this Steve!:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing