Sablon power cords

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
What is it about those Bocchino plugs that makes them special sonically?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Kenny, it’s a combination of the plug itself and the underlying cable. The former benefits from superb metallurgy and mass damping. These advantages can however only be capitalised upon with a very transparent conductor and I have also been careful in my choice of platings to tune the presentation.

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Hi Mark,

What would you estimate the relative benefit to be with powercord from wall to power conditioner/distributor vs. the latter to the device being powered eg. Server/DAC.

I guess logic would suggest Sablon King's throughout would be best but if the conditioner has other components attached and one was to "compromise", where would the larger gauge power cord be best placed?
From wall to distributor or from distributor to device?

G

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I usually find the equipment side to be more influential Geoff however it does presuppose that you don’t have weak links either feeding the conditioner or other pieces of equipment. That said, my Prince model is still 6awg and capable of delivering plenty of current unimpeded Into a conditioner.

scottrogers

Dec 28, 2015
I have now had the loaner Prince PC and ethernet cable in my system for a few days now - thanks for arranging Mark. I am using the Prince to power my headphone amp (Rivera AIC-10) which is connected to my DAVE. The Prince replaces HFC Ultimate Double Helix Sig PC. The ethernet cable replaces SoTM ISO-CAT6 (used with 2 of SoTM's short black ethernet cables). Here are some impressions:

* The ethernet cable removes a touch of digital glare that I did not know I had. Further, it improves clarity, presence and density in the mid-range, making it sound more "musical" and engaging in my system. Definitely a keeper

* The Prince, with it's 6AWG vs HFC 12AWG on an amp that craves current, the Prince bested the HFC cable in a number of important areas: density in the mid-range (you can really hear/ feel vocals and all instruments are more vivid) and much more solid bottom end (bass hits harder and provides a more solid foundation for everything). The combination of the Prince and the ethernet cable removed a digital edge without a loss of resolution or speed.

I am just loving both cables!

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Glad you’re enjoying them Scott and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and also for waiting several weeks for Canadian customs to release them!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have now had the loaner Prince PC and ethernet cable in my system for a few days now - thanks for arranging Mark. I am using the Prince to power my headphone amp (Rivera AIC-10) which is connected to my DAVE. The Prince replaces HFC Ultimate Double Helix Sig PC. The ethernet cable replaces SoTM ISO-CAT6 (used with 2 of SoTM's short black ethernet cables). Here are some impressions:

* The ethernet cable removes a touch of digital glare that I did not know I had. Further, it improves clarity, presence and density in the mid-range, making it sound more "musical" and engaging in my system. Definitely a keeper

* The Prince, with it's 6AWG vs HFC 12AWG on an amp that craves current, the Prince bested the HFC cable in a number of important areas: density in the mid-range (you can really hear/ feel vocals and all instruments are more vivid) and much more solid bottom end (bass hits harder and provides a more solid foundation for everything). The combination of the Prince and the ethernet cable removed a digital edge without a loss of resolution or speed.

Congrats and a big fan of Prince myself...have been waiting to post more details later. The system as Mark knows is in flux, so I have to get it back together again, and then can report in. But the first soundings were spectacular. In the past, I have heard/owned:

- TA Opus Power cord
- Vertere
- Purist Audio 25th Anniversary
- Gryphon VIP Ref
- will post more...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, I have you to thank for getting me into the "Sablon way". Little did I know what that initial recommendation would lead to.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Five Bocchinos upgrades to my Elites remains, Prince Sablons, to complete the loom. I have a priority tt motor/LPS project to sort first, but these five pretty much comprise my last set of major system optimisation efforts.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Excellent news Spirit! Yes, I call it like I see it. I think Mark's got a tremendous ear, disciplined ethic and is super-commercial in his business approach. His work has found its way into some of the world's most audacious and selective/discerning systems including Mike Lavigne's so I think it is hard to come up with a better recommendation than his success!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought Mike had resisted Mark's siren song?

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019

I've gone down a very similar path, replacing an HFC Pro PC with a King PC to power my amp (Riviera AFC-10) that's fed by a DAVE.

I also noticed the same improvements as you in density, bottom end, soundstage, etc. The Prince and King do really well with power hungry equipment as it provided similar improvements over the HFC Pro on the Extreme server as well.

I do prefer the HFC Pro over the King on the DAVE though, but I will be retesting this once my LPS for the DAVE arrives.

I'm also using a full loom of Sablon ethernet cables, including with the M12 Gold switch. Haven't found anything better for the price.

scottrogers

Dec 28, 2015
I've gone down a very similar path, replacing an HFC Pro PC with a King PC to power my amp (Riviera AFC-10) that's fed by a DAVE.

I also noticed the same improvements as you in density, bottom end, soundstage, etc. The Prince and King do really well with power hungry equipment as it provided similar improvements over the HFC Pro on the Extreme server as well.

I do prefer the HFC Pro over the King on the DAVE though, but I will be retesting this once my LPS for the DAVE arrives.

I'm also using a full loom of Sablon ethernet cables, including with the M12 Gold switch. Haven't found anything better for the price.

I plan on using a King to power distributor but unfortunately, I cannot use King on AIC-10 or Extreme (when i get it) because power distributor does not have enough room for that size of plug. As such, I will use the Prince for the Extreme and AIC-10. Like you, I prefer, HFC Pro on the DAVE but you raise an interesting question about whether that will change when my PH SR7 DR eventually arrives to power the DAVE.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I plan on using a King to power distributor but unfortunately, I cannot use King on AIC-10 or Extreme (when i get it) because power distributor does not have enough room for that size of plug. As such, I will use the Prince for the Extreme and AIC-10. Like you, I prefer, HFC Pro on the DAVE but you raise an interesting question about whether that will change when my PH SR7 DR eventually arrives to power the DAVE.
What is your experience in the difference between Prince and King? Since we are UK plugs, we cannot use King with its Bocchino US plug outlet anyway, only Prince, but extremely happy with Princes and their Bocchino inlet. So just curious.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What is your experience in the difference between Prince and King? Since we are UK plugs, we cannot use King with its Bocchino US plug outlet anyway, only Prince, but extremely happy with Princes and their Bocchino inlet. So just curious.
Why not change your sockets to US ones? Almost everyone does that here...You get a lot more choice with US plugs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Why not change your sockets to US ones? Almost everyone does that here...You get a lot more choice with US plugs.

We that requires the main plugs in the wall which are all Furutech, plus all the plugs in the Torus, Nordost and Burmester 948. Looking at that cost, aggravation...who warranties that work...the question is always about the uplift in performance. Plus one should price in the retermination back to UK upon resale.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
We that requires the main plugs in the wall which are all Furutech, plus all the plugs in the Torus, Nordost and Burmester 948. Looking at that cost, aggravation...who warranties that work...the question is always about the uplift in performance. Plus one should price in the retermination back to UK upon resale.
Fair enough. I guess if the whole country works with UK plugs then following the norm makes sense. Over here we buy all most of our distributors with us sockets and lots change the wall sockets too. UK plugs are a bit cumbersome and a pain and have crappy fuses.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, as a UK resident, Lloyd's decision makes lots of sense. After I sold him my Burmester 948, I ended up with a UK plugs multi strip, and then went w Furutech US sockets and Sablon US plugs. An improvement in every way re SQ over UK plugs.

scottrogers

Dec 28, 2015

I have actually only heard the Prince not the King. I am sure others on this thread can make that comparison. My comment was around limitations with my set-up configuration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing