Rowland Model 825 2-chassis Stereo Power Amplifier

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
As Guido has clarified, the 625 and 725 designs utilize high bias class A/B output stages while the 825 and 925 use class D Ncore output stages. However they all use variations of Jeff's custom designed power factor corrected switched mode power supplies (SMPS). It is a common misconception that SMPS designs are inherently class D, while in fact the choice of power supply design (conventional linear vs. SMPS) and the class of output stage operation (class A, A/B, or D) are two completely independent design decisions.

thanks for the clarification i didnt realize he went switch mode for the PS as well. i bought my first pair of rowlands in '87 before the name change, about the time he rolled out balanced connections (a then milestone for home audio). i fell off the rowland wagon around the time he went battery powered. i didnt like his ice-based class d stuff, I am quite interested in hearing the latest ncore amps based on my positive impression of the mola molas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing