microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Mike Lavigne once brought up an excellent point (I am paraphrasing): it appears that sometimes video enthusiasts hear not the actual sound of the video but their memory of the sound recorded on the video, from which they fill in while listening to the video. (...)
Yes, it is a good point.

Well, I have often said the same about reproduced sound and real music ...

It is why using just real music as a reference is extremely subjective and individual, and can lead to disasters. And if we listen hours a day to your own blessed stereo it will even influence the way we listen to real music. IMO we need some solid "audiophile" anchors when addressing system building.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
completely? If this is the case, why bother ever to go to a live performance except to socialize?

Another possibility is that you are making the mistake of assuming that an internal iPhone mic is an accurate, full-range, flat frequency response, sound capture device.

are you being naive? If I say my picture reflects how I look are you going to display your flash of genius saying no it is actually different?

oh wait this is where it comes again as it has for the past 4 years. There is a difference between the actual and the copy.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
are you being naive? If I say my picture reflects how I look are you going to display your flash of genius saying no it is actually different?

I would accept your subjective appraisal that your photo reflects how you look. I would not say that your appraisal that your photo reflects how you look is objectively incorrect. It is your subjective appraisal, so it would make no sense to suggest that it could be wrong objectively.

I would say that your appraisal that your photo reflects how you look is a subjective opinion in your eyes which is not susceptible to any form of objective verification.

This problem -- which appears in many contexts and underlies many discussions and disputes on WBF -- is your mistaken assumption that your appraisal that the photo reflects how you look is objectively correct fact, rather than merely your subjective opinion.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would accept your subjective appraisal that your photo reflects how you look. I would not say that your appraisal that your photo reflects how you look is objectively incorrect. It is your subjective appraisal, so it would make no sense to suggest that it could be wrong objectively.

I would say that your appraisal that your photo reflects how you look is a subjective opinion in your eyes which is not susceptible to any form of objective verification.

This problem -- which appears in many contexts and underlies many discussions and disputes on WBF -- is your mistaken assumption that your appraisal that the photo reflects how you look is objectively correct fact, rather than merely your subjective opinion.

so you are saying someone else cannot look at my photo and verify what I said was correct or incorrect? And if three others say that it can still be incorrect?

then can it not be so for listening in room? Let’s not discuss what is better than, because your opinion of in room demo is only subjectively yours.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, it is a good point.

Well, I have often said the same about reproduced sound and real music ...

It is why using just real music as a reference is extremely subjective and individual, and can lead to disasters. And if we listen hours a day to your own blessed stereo it will even influence the way we listen to real music. IMO we need some solid "audiophile" anchors when addressing system building.
Where is your evidence that listening to your stereo biases how you hear live music? This is a strong assertion that requires strong evidence. Given one rarely (if ever) mistakes reproduced for live music this assertion seems rather a stretch at best.

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
That's fun! As you say it is a hot recording.

I don't like the second track, but I do like the third track.

I have never heard any information or even gossip about a simultaneous tape being made at the time of that recording.
Sheffield Labs did. They used the tape to press subsequent run(s) in their "Treasury" series. A far cry unfortunately sonically compared to the D to D (the repress not the tape). As such I don't have a copy but if I remember correctly they did explain the equipment and implementation. Unaware of any offerings in tape form.
s-l1600.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
it was recorded by me on the phone at the Sheldonian the day before.
It seems the Sheldonian is an outstanding performance venue. How does it compare to the other halls that you haunt in London town?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Where is your evidence that listening to your stereo biases how you hear live music? This is a strong assertion that requires strong evidence. Given one rarely (if ever) mistakes reproduced for live music this assertion seems rather a stretch at best.

Even when we listen to live music we only embrace a partial view of the whole reality - it is the difference between hearing and listening. Listening in our high resolution systems creates listening habits and those who educate listening mostly to it will transport such way of listening to real life. See those who claim that they compare their systems with what they perceive with closed eyes, not with their complete senses.

I have found nuances in instruments in real life that probably I would go unnoticed if I did not have noticed them before in my system. It is known that training with sound reproduction, that is commonly enhanced for easier perception of musical instruments, enhances the musical experience.

Reactions: Lagonda and wil

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Even when we listen to live music we only embrace a partial view of the whole reality - it is the difference between hearing and listening. Listening in our high resolution systems creates listening habits and those who educate listening mostly to it will transport such way of listening to real life. See those who claim that they compare their systems with what they perceive with closed eyes, not with their complete senses.

I have found nuances in instruments in real life that probably I would go unnoticed if I did not have noticed them before in my system. It is known that training with sound reproduction, that is commonly enhanced for easier perception of musical instruments, enhances the musical experience.
Ok, so no evidence…got it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It seems the Sheldonian is an outstanding performance venue. How does it compare to the other halls that you haunt in London town?

it’s my clear favourite, which is why I travel to Oxford sometimes for concert. The London halls aren’t an effort, they are easy to fit in to the evening. Sheldonian I have to travel 90 mins each way.

after the concert some of the orchestra members get on the train back to London and I sometimes get to chat with them. One of them herself described the Sheldonian to be rich in tones and Barbican relatively dry. But that is only part of it. Each instrument is distinctly good and you just get to hear more of the music unravelling there. I find myself understanding the melody more at Sheldonian following the intricacies while at other halls it is easier to zone out on unfamiliar passages

it was built in the 1600s and Haydn received his doctorate there

there is a performance of Schubert’s Great in December (with Janine Jansen performing Mendelssohn before). The Schubert symphony in the Sheldonian acoustics will make it worthwhile for people to travel from abroad for that unique experience. Or simply listen to my video later

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
after the concert some of the orchestra members get on the train back to London and I sometimes get to chat with them. One of them herself described the Sheldonian to be rich in tones and Barbican relatively dry.
I concur with her opinion , the nearest equivalent in terms of “rich in tones” that we have in London perhaps being Cadogan Hall ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I concur with her opinion , the nearest equivalent in terms of “rich in tones” that we have in London perhaps being Cadogan Hall ?

no I like Cadogan the least. Not because the tone per se but the sound does not seem to carry as easily. Tried different seats. The only two classical concerts I enjoyed there were Gergiev and his Mariinsky orchestra performing Scheherazade there and there Oxford Philharmonic performing Beethoven 7th last month. But I have heard them perform it at Sheldonian too was much better. And I have heard them perform Eroica both at Barbican and Sheldonian. They were way better than the LSO performing Eroica at the Barbican, though.

That shows to me some orchestras put more effort to adjust to the sound of the hall they visit. The royal philharmonic is Cadogan resident and all their concerts there I attended were disappointing so I stopped.

I would say Wigmore is rich tone. But overall not same quality as Sheldonian even for chamber

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is Marc's review on how Sheldonian compares to the Zu sound.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Not because the tone per se but the sound does not seem to carry as easily. Tried different seats
Yes , ones choice of seating can be important at Cadogan Hall particularly with smaller ensembles , less so with others such as the Len Phillips Swing Orchestra last September which was rather fun.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I agree that the auditory template will be formed based on own system sound over the live music, if one’s own system is being listened to regularly

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
it’s my clear favourite, which is why I travel to Oxford sometimes for concert. The London halls aren’t an effort, they are easy to fit in to the evening. Sheldonian I have to travel 90 mins each way.

after the concert some of the orchestra members get on the train back to London and I sometimes get to chat with them. One of them herself described the Sheldonian to be rich in tones and Barbican relatively dry. But that is only part of it. Each instrument is distinctly good and you just get to hear more of the music unravelling there. I find myself understanding the melody more at Sheldonian following the intricacies while at other halls it is easier to zone out on unfamiliar passages

it was built in the 1600s and Haydn received his doctorate there

there is a performance of Schubert’s Great in December (with Janine Jansen performing Mendelssohn before). The Schubert symphony in the Sheldonian acoustics will make it worthwhile for people to travel from abroad for that unique experience. Or simply listen to my video later
Well Bonzo.. I listened to your recording and concluded I dont want to hear a concert with my head resting on your lap ! ... another fantasy crushed :(

• Haha
Reactions: cjfrbw and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing