Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I will usually be polite and say it is nice, maybe indicate I prefer something else. The host will then have to figure out if I thought his system was sh*t. I have realized that even friends, who try to be very upfront and honest in taking feedback, are ultimately extremely sensitive about their systems and even if momentarily they say thanks for your honest feedback, after some thought they just build in a strong dislike for anyone who does not like their system.

All of them actually pay dealers who give them negative feedback about their components, either directly or subtly, it is just personal friendships that get affected with negative system feedback. I think I am going to charge people for commenting negatively on their systems. For an added sum I will also comment on their wife's weight.
I have a basement with a deep well for visitors like you Ked ! ;) "Put the lotion in the bucket !"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I will usually be polite and say it is nice, maybe indicate I prefer something else. The host will then have to figure out if I thought his system was sh*t. I have realized that even friends, who try to be very upfront and honest in taking feedback, are ultimately extremely sensitive about their systems and even if momentarily they say thanks for your honest feedback, after some thought they just build in a strong dislike for anyone who does not like their system.

All of them actually pay dealers who give them negative feedback about their components, either directly or subtly, it is just personal friendships that get affected with negative system feedback. I think I am going to charge people for commenting negatively on their systems. For an added sum I will also comment on their wife's weight.
best is to avoid dealers and trust ones own ears IMO

Reactions: Another Johnson

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
It seems ok to not listen to someone system and say it sucks based upon their component selection.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It seems ok to not listen to someone system and say it sucks based upon their component selection.
I judge members for their lack of equipment list, if you don't want to list your gear you get absolutely no credit when making statements on anything audio related. :rolleyes:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
That seems to be more of a forum phenomenon than a face to face phenomenon.

I suppose it is directly proportional to the distance from fist to nose. :p

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I judge members for their lack of equipment list, if you don't want to list your gear you get absolutely no credit when making statements on anything audio related. :rolleyes:
I removed my equipment list, but then I started to see that a significant percentage of the negative folks had also removed theirs. So I put mine back in.

It would be especially interesting to post the evolution of your system. Maybe a catalog of what you were using in five year snapshots would tell a lot. I could not reconstruct mine accurately though.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I removed my equipment list, but then I started to see that a significant percentage of the negative folks had also removed theirs. So I put mine back in.

It would be especially interesting to post the evolution of your system. Maybe a catalog of what you were using in five year snapshots would tell a lot. I could not reconstruct mine accurately though.
Not a bad idea ! :)

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
That seems to be more of a forum phenomenon than a face to face phenomenon.

I suppose it is directly proportional to the distance from fist to nose. :p
It is very easy being a ”besserwisser” from a distance… specially if one don’t own any gear one self…

In the end… It comes down to several factors what kind of system one owns.. Money, Taste, Knowledge, to name a few..

All and all - Music has to be the most important factor… ( or …) ..??!!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’d have to start with my cheap plastic record player and speakers tethered by not even lamp cord circa 1969! I can still remember a few of my early LPs… Uriah Heap, Demons & Wizards. ELP, Pictures at an Exhibition. Savoy Brown…

I think I must’ve been 12 years old. Shared a basement bedroom with my foster brother of the new family I landed in who put me on the spot — sneaking out the window with the classic “shhh, don’t tell.” I couldn’t afford anything but would drool walking through the electronics store looking at all those shiny Marantz, Fisher, and Sansui receivers with the plethora of knobs, switches, and meters.

Birth of an audiophile, I still haven’t shaken it.

(oops, sorry, back to Ron’s thread)

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I had a PLL all in one record, tape and tuner. Nazareth Hair of the Dog was a first album. Then I started duping tapes from my brothers F Duel TT to some cassette deck. All sorts of Aerosmith, ACDC, Led Z, and a whole lot of punk and reggae.

Reactions: Bobvin and Johan K

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You can also insult people if their list of equipment doesn't top $250,000.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have realized that even friends, who try to be very upfront and honest in taking feedback, are ultimately extremely sensitive about their systems and even if momentarily they say thanks for your honest feedback, after some thought they just build in a strong dislike for anyone who does not like their system.

Do you have friends who are very upfront and honest in giving feedback? (Not a knock on your having no system to receive feedback.) I find there are "friends" and there are friends. Friends get beyond being polite because they are your friends. A true friend is honest with you and you appreciate that.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ked is also not exactly honest lol. :)
Hé said i invited him for a review which i never did
The story is Ron and him were visiting an audio dealer in Amsterdam west A10 audio .
About 4 k where i lived at the time.
Ron called me up and said i m in Amsterdam next weekend can i have a listen to your speakers i will come with a friend .

By the way Ron good luck with your dealership .

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have friends who are very upfront and honest in giving feedback? (Not a knock on your having no system to receive feedback.) I find there are "friends" and there are friends. Friends get beyond being polite because they are your friends. A true friend is honest with you and you appreciate that.

Yes and I give honest feedback too. It is just that in audio it doesn’t work, much like it won’t work if you advise a wife or girlfriend on how to exercise to lose weight

• Haha
Reactions: AudioHR and Johan K

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
When do we get the Clarysis - Pendragon comparison review /conclusion.

If possible some panel FR measurements would be much appreciated

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I find there are "friends" and there are friends. Friends get beyond being polite because they are your friends. A true friend is honest with you and you appreciate that.
Lets not kid ourselves. Listening to someone elses stereo is not about helping them. Its validation on the direction you are going. You don't tell your friend their new 300 watt amp that doubles to 600 sounds poofey and not natural. Your not going to break their heart when they broke their bank to purhase said amp. You just update your mental list on what sucks.

FWIW dealers don't get away with it either. I stood next to friend as a dealer told him his 3 year old amps were shit and he had to get the updates model. We left and he said F that guy and never went back. I hate most stereo dealers as their time with you is spent talking about why your system sucks. Not to mention your a fool and idiot for being taken advantage off. But its only because your an idiot and have no idea what to listen for. If you had only come to them first.

Reactions: Johan K and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing