So . . . I am pretty much pencil down.

The ASC "Resnick-ators" are en route, and they will replace the standard TubeTraps in the front corners.

I should try to move the panels a little bit closer together.

I may order a small Torus isolation transformer just to isolate for peace of mind the power supplies on a legacy electric line separate from the electrical system for the listening room.

I would love to try Wavac 833.

I would like to add a pair of big subwoofers low-passed at about 25Hz.

I could try to play with a little diffusion on the front wall behind each panel.

I could fiddle more with NOS tubes in the gain stages of the Io.

Eventually I probably will replace the Pangea stands with Vintage Audio Specialties Nothing Stands.

But that's it. (And I probably won't do most of these.)
Is this your own in mind Christmas wishes for your self, Ron..??? So funny!! I love it man!

/ Jk

Is this your own in mind Christmas wishes for your self, Ron..??? So funny!! I love it man!

/ Jk
Sort of. But I'm thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page for the Wavac 833s. I think people might support me getting Wavac 833s on DEI grounds: diversity of amplification; equitable treatment of SET amplifiers, a decidedly minority amplifier topology in high-end audio; and inclusion of more than one type of amplifier in my system.

Last edited:
Sort of. But I'm thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page for the Wavac 833s. I think people might support me getting Wavac 833s on DEI grounds: diversity of amplification; equitable treatment of SET amplifiers, a decidedly minority amplifier topology in high-end audio; and inclusion of more than one type of amplifier in my system.
Yea, why not?

Only if you buy it along with Krell for the diversity reasons

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M. and Johan K
I just measured the magnetic field from my isolation transformers with a Trifield EMF meter. It drops precipitously over a distance of one and a half feet. Just don't put the Torus too close to your gear.
Then I realized that if I put the Torus a few feet away from the phono stage, that means it's now very close to the single-end output tape deck.

Since the idea that the isolation transformer is going to steer noise from the power supplies away from the audio components is purely theoretical, against the fact of placing a transformer near sensitive sources, it may be imprudent to go in this Torus direction on pure speculation.

Reactions: Al M.
Now I'm thinking the money might be better spent on a DS Audio ION-001.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
I don't need that.

Then I realized that if I put the Torus a few feet away from the phono stage, that means it's now very close to the single-end output tape deck.

Since the idea that the isolation transformer is going to steer noise from the power supplies away from the audio components is purely theoretical, against the fact of placing a transformer near sensitive sources, it may be imprudent to go in this Torus direction on pure speculation.
Such isolation transformers are very good in front of digital devices. Because they also have reverse attenuation, they protect other hifi devices from high frequencies that digital devices produce. They usually don't cut a good figure in front of power amplifiers and integrated amplifiers

...Ron, if still experimenting, you may want to try bringing the traps out from the corner a few inches. And perhaps one of each frequency side-by-side "across" the corner.

I have similar tube-type devices I have put in clusters, side-by-side, etc. to good effect. Easy to try and results vary by room, freq issue, etc. Happy wave hunting in the New Year.

Please also check for negative effects of leanness or loss in energy
I listened for this yesterday afternoon when local WBF member Jim Rossner visited for the first time. Jim brought over several of his favorite LPs.

I am not detecting any leanness. On the contrary the combination of the new Resnick-Ator 20" TubeTraps in the corners and the conventional 16 inch TubeTraps behind the panels and at the center of the front wall actually seem to warm up very slightly the midrange on down. (In theory this could be because a reduction in room boom is allowing other low frequencies to come through more clearly without being trampled?)

The additional absorption seems to warm up very slightly treble frequencies as well. I am not hearing a loss of energy. I am hearing a slightly warmer overall, less "tinkly" presentation.

I think this is at the level of subtle seasoning and personal preference. How tinkly did the upper range keys of that piano actually sound in the recording studio?

I liked it enough that I did not immediately want to remove the legacy TubeTraps from the front wall and from behind the loudspeakers (which I was expecting to want to do).

Don is coming over tonight, so we will see what he thinks.

If I detect any diminution in energy or "life," I would remove them. (Keep in mind, my system does not have the energy or dynamics of big, high sensitivity horns with beryllium drivers to begin with.)

PS: It is clear to me that fiddling around with the TubeTraps is another audio endeavor one can spend half a lifetime on.

Last edited:
(Keep in mind, my system does not have the energy or dynamics of big, high sensitivity horns with beryllium drivers to begin with.)

had totally forgotten you are one of the remaining few that hasn’t converted.

That said, beryllium drivers don’t necessarily have more or less efficiency and sensitivity. In horns they do a nice electrostat like transparency. In cones like focal they screech

beryllium drivers don’t necessarily have more or less efficiency and sensitivity
I understand that, I agree. I was just describing some of the typical horn loudspeaker elements.
In horns they do a nice electrostat like transparency
I agree. But I sometimes also hear a hint of metallic-ness/hardness on some horn speakers.
In cones like focal they screech
I totally agree.

Reactions: AudioHR and Johan K
Almost all horns use metal compression drivers.

The field-coil compression drivers that I use in my new reference horn system use carbon diaphragms. The Improved Western Electric 555 design sound very organic and I attribute a big portion of its sound to the carbon diaphragm. The carbon diaphragm is lighter and stiffer compared to titanium and aluminum diaphragms.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjfrbw
Almost all horns use metal compression drivers.

there is a massive difference in aluminium and beryllium drivers, and anyway it depends on horn design, crossover, horn material, and electronics used. Paper is also used

had totally forgotten you are one of the remaining few that hasn’t converted.
Please know that I likely will never be "converting" to horns. (Maybe if someone develops a full dipole horn, which does not use a beryllium compression driver, and either has open baffle woofers both on top and on the bottom of the horn, or reformats the system into a four column system.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing