Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My OCD goes on overload seeing anything sitting on top of a dust cover. Ask my wife, she will just give you a the look.
Looks good sans the blue tape!

Hmmm. Yes, that is some OCD you got there!

The blue tape is gone.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am looking for the throw-up emoji . . .
Ok, then get a Nakamichi ZX-9 and top metal cassette tapes and make copies. A friend has this deck and when we recorded from digital and LP with it the copies were nearly indistinguishable from the original source. I was plenty amazed because his other decks (two other lesser Naks and a Nice R2R) all left a clear and identifiable signature on the sound from the original. But not the ZX-9. Good 24/96 rips will be hard to distinguish as well but will depend on DAC choice of course.

BTW. What phonostage are you going to use with the AS-2000? Aesthetix?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
morricab I find it very difficult to believe a ZX-9 can make a recording that is nearly indistinguishable from the source, in fact I know it can’t. The reason I say this is because older Nakamichi decks like ZX-9, Dragon, 1000ZXL etc have a sound colouration to me and most people’s ears.

If you were talking about a CR-7, CR-5, CR-4 etc I would be more inclined to believe you as those decks I mentioned are some of the most neutral decks in the Nakamichi range, they impart very little of their own sound signature on the music recorded with them.

I am not saying the ZX-9 is not a good deck, it is a very good deck just that it has a colouration on the music.

Reactions: GMKF and Kingsrule

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Altec system in Bulgaria has studer, telefunken m15a, nakamichi CR7, some other nakamichis and pioneer. He records all his tapes and LPs on to cassette and plays them back.

ED4F9AE7-8748-42DE-A238-09681E557613.jpeg

Reactions: sujay and cjfrbw

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Quite a few collection of tape decks I see there in the image bonzo75.
I only ever record the music I want to take out and about with me, at home I'd rather just play the original.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
get a Nakamichi ZX-9 and top metal cassette tapes and make copies . . .

The “WB” in “WBF” stands for “What’s Best” not “Why Bother.”

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
morricab I find it very difficult to believe a ZX-9 can make a recording that is nearly indistinguishable from the source, in fact I know it can’t. The reason I say this is because older Nakamichi decks like ZX-9, Dragon, 1000ZXL etc have a sound colouration to me and most people’s ears.

If you were talking about a CR-7, CR-5, CR-4 etc I would be more inclined to believe you as those decks I mentioned are some of the most neutral decks in the Nakamichi range, they impart very little of their own sound signature on the music recorded with them.

I am not saying the ZX-9 is not a good deck, it is a very good deck just that it has a colouration on the music.
Sorry but I am comparing to a CR7, which was one of the others (I double checked with my friend who had the decks). He sold the others and kept the ZX-9. It was MUCH better than the CR7, which I know also has a good reputation. No coloration I heard with it . Perhaps the one you heard was not in great repair or not calibrated correctly for the tape used?

Disbelieve if you wish it was clear cut to my friend and I.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The “WB” in “WBF” stands for “What’s Best” not “Why Bother.”
When your sticky tapes gum up your nice Studer or crumble you might wish you had bothered…

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Just my opinion based on informal comparisons carried many years ago - I preferred the CR7 to the ZX9 and the 1000 ZXL - in fact it is the machine I keep for nostalgia. But even with metal tape a comparison with the Studer A80 when recording/playing back a good CD shows the limitations of dynamic range of the cassette machine at high level.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, then get a Nakamichi ZX-9 and top metal cassette tapes and make copies. A friend has this deck and when we recorded from digital and LP with it the copies were nearly indistinguishable from the original source. (...)

Morricab,
A metaphysical audiophile question - if a device processing the signal with the poor sounding , slew-rate limited RC4550 and integrated circuits Dolby processors can make copies nearly indistinguishable from LPs why are we spending so much resources on tubes and expensive/high performance/ rare solid state in preamplfiiers?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When your sticky tapes gum up your nice Studer or crumble you might wish you had bothered…

Oh, I agree with that. It’s just that playing cassette tape is not the mission statement of my audio hobby.

The sole purpose of my tape project is to see if I can reach sonically above anything vinyl (and, a fortiori, digital) can offer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The sole purpose of my tape project is to see if I can reach sonically above anything vinyl (and, a fortiori, digital) can offer.

IMHO probably you can't. There are some kind of mechanical induced time delayed distortions in vinyl that neither electronics or digital can't emulate. If we prefer them, nothing can surpass them. But it is a great project.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Ron Resnick I was at Munich High End Show, I walked into a room that was playing a copy of a Michael Jackson album from Reel 2 Reel I can’t remember which album. I have never heard anything that good in my life, at the end I spoke to the guy playing the music and said it was amazing. He told me it was a copy of the master tape, but he would not tell me where he got it from. That was the first time I realised how good a Reel 2 Reel can sound, it killed anything else I have ever heard. I took a pic in the room, I will see if I can find the pic and post it here. I am sure it was a Studer deck.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Great tape as a source is amazing
to me the system must be able to play it to its potential or else it’s ok but not amazing
this is my two cents
last year at an audio show bob of rhapsody audios room had some great sound from tape so did doshi audios room tape is just an amazing sound.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
All I can say about tape is Riders on the Storm at Steves house and In My Time of Dying at Mikes house change my life forever, the Beach Boys wasn't bad either!
Keep on keepin on!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ron,
Did Aesthetix ever solve their noise problem? I seem to recall that being the rap on them.

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ron Resnick I was at Munich High End Show, I walked into a room that was playing a copy of a Michael Jackson album from Reel 2 Reel I can’t remember which album. I have never heard anything that good in my life, at the end I spoke to the guy playing the music and said it was amazing. He told me it was a copy of the master tape, but he would not tell me where he got it from. That was the first time I realised how good a Reel 2 Reel can sound, it killed anything else I have ever heard. I took a pic in the room, I will see if I can find the pic and post it here. I am sure it was a Studer deck.
I walked into a room that was playing Michael Jackson on reel 2 reel then I walked out of that room doing the moonwalk!... that's the ultimate!

In Ron's case, he'll not only be moonwalking but also making breakfast at the same time, whiles listening to Mikey Jackson (I think he mentioned scrabble eggs & sunny side up) other than that, he's hopeless at baking, according to him.
Cheeeers, RJ

Reactions: Gregadd and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing