Roller height check

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
During the pandemic I had some "free time" under quarantine. Browsing some STUDER technical information I spotted an interesting section of checking roller height of STUDER A820 MCH recorder for 2" tape. Driven by curiosity I wondered how good the relative height of my 1/4" A820 rollers would be? SI-110-87's idea was the following: established reference height by placing mechanical gauge on various flat position of A820's die-cast chassis and adjusting each roller by placing combination of shims of various thickness to raise it to the desired height. What really surprise me was that the pre-stablizer roller (roller No.2) was set to be a little bit lower while roller 3 and 4 were set a little bit higher. I guessed it might be specific to 2" tape since at this tape width roller 2 and 3 had to bend the tape against gravity.
As a regular user we don't have an access for the calibration tool: the precision mechanical block; how can I accomplish this task? I spotted a unused IKEA curtain hanger part lingering around and got an idea: this part have a long flat side and a gap which could firmly grip a thin metal plate. I picked up a broken iPhone display and obtain a thin metal plate. Then I cut it to form a "pointing finger" shape with the "finger width" just be a little bit shorter than 1/4" tape.
Final result was roller 1~6 were all precisely centered; unlike 2" A820 MCH. Maybe it was intended to be so since 1/4" tape was light weight relative to that of 2" tape. Or my gauge's precision was not good enough to resolve the minute difference of roller height of roller 2 and 3/4.
Anyway this interesting experiment made me confident of this 34 years veteran still strongly hold its legendary tape handling on such large chassis base. Also adjusting shims on roller no. 5, the tacho roller, was the only one which can not be tucked between roller shaft and top bearing.

Attachments

• Gauge.JPG
    Gauge.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Roller_1_5_6.JPG
    Roller_1_5_6.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Roller_2.JPG
    Roller_2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Roller_3_4.JPG
    Roller_3_4.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC09931.JPG
    DSC09931.JPG
    741.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC09932.JPG
    DSC09932.JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC09934.JPG
    DSC09934.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC09928.JPG
    DSC09928.JPG
    419.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC09929.JPG
    DSC09929.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC09926.JPG
    DSC09926.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Congratulations! An ambitious endeavor. I observed a deck alignment on one of my A820's and noticed a precision block(s), various gauges to establish correct soundhead and tape guidance elements alignment, tape tension, etc. were deployed. Personally, I think it all begins here prior to any audio alignment.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
During the pandemic I had some "free time" under quarantine. Browsing some STUDER technical information I spotted an interesting section of checking roller height of STUDER A820 MCH recorder for 2" tape. Driven by curiosity I wondered how good the relative height of my 1/4" A820 rollers would be? SI-110-87's idea was the following: established reference height by placing mechanical gauge on various flat position of A820's die-cast chassis and adjusting each roller by placing combination of shims of various thickness to raise it to the desired height. What really surprise me was that the pre-stablizer roller (roller No.2) was set to be a little bit lower while roller 3 and 4 were set a little bit higher. I guessed it might be specific to 2" tape since at this tape width roller 2 and 3 had to bend the tape against gravity.
As a regular user we don't have an access for the calibration tool: the precision mechanical block; how can I accomplish this task? I spotted a unused IKEA curtain hanger part lingering around and got an idea: this part have a long flat side and a gap which could firmly grip a thin metal plate. I picked up a broken iPhone display and obtain a thin metal plate. Then I cut it to form a "pointing finger" shape with the "finger width" just be a little bit shorter than 1/4" tape.
Final result was roller 1~6 were all precisely centered; unlike 2" A820 MCH. Maybe it was intended to be so since 1/4" tape was light weight relative to that of 2" tape. Or my gauge's precision was not good enough to resolve the minute difference of roller height of roller 2 and 3/4.
Anyway this interesting experiment made me confident of this 34 years veteran still strongly hold its legendary tape handling on such large chassis base. Also adjusting shims on roller no. 5, the tacho roller, was the only one which can not be tucked between roller shaft and top bearing.
Well done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing