Rock and Drum videos thread

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Will have to share a recent Ainsley Dunbar story but will require a bit of production first and be its own thread.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
We have no idea what the Carl Palmer drum video would sound like through your stereo. How could we? We cannot discern this from listening to different recordings of your system playing different recordings.
I understand. I already have a pretty good idea how mine might fair against this Palmer drum piece. But wouldn't you benefit more if you were to acquire the Carl Palmer piece and then compared that to your own?

I won't comment too much on your system sound...it does sound quite dynamic and the low level resolution seems quite good; however, you are playing very loud so ambient cues will of course be more obvious...as long as the system can play this loud cleanly...probably many can't. What are the SPL levels that you are using when recording? Do those ambient cues hold up when you reduce the volume by 10-15db?
Of course those ambient cues would hold at lower volumes. Of course it can. Why wouldn't they? But as we all know the lower the listening volume the less engaging, the less like live, the more flattened the dynamics, and the more elevator music-like presentation we hear. We discussed some of this about a year ago when you opened a thread and provided a few videos about this very suject i.e. in-room recordings in general and some of the issues you faced.

As I think I said there, my in-room listening levels for video recordings are a bit louder to ensure at least a fraction of the overall gestalt is captured by the rather small stereo condensor mic attached to my smartphone. I think I also said, if you don't capture even this fraction of the gestalt in an in-room recording, you'd be presenting a boring video that will put others to sleep. So I flirt a bit with the fine line of overloading the little mic from time to time but who cares, right?

Well, we are not talking about an A/B comparison here are we? I am saying play the recording straight and then record the same recording but playing through your system. The straight recording (to headphones I presume) is the control reference and what we hear from you recording your system playing that recording is the test recording. Whatever editorializing your system, room and/or recording device imposes on the proceedings should be audible compared to the control reference. If your system does no editorializing then the two would sound identical, otherwise we can analyze what your system/room/recorder add or subtract from the control.
Yup, you've pretty much got that down. Send me a reasonable digital version and I'll gitter done. :)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Keep in mind when he is doing his electronic drum bit, its all him, no click tracks. He triggers effects here and there but everything you here is him, no help. There is some footage out there of him that is just raw studio footage (no band members or recorded music) of the electronic part and is shows you so clearly how he does it and it boggles the mind.
It blew me away and I have not been able to find it again.
Absolutely. There were a couple of things I was gonna add the other night but forgot.

1. The crowd. The crowd was going crazy at certain times especially at the end and so loud I couldn't hear the drums. They knew what they were experiencing.

2. As Neil being the talented music and techno-weenie entertainer he obviously is, I can see him saying to himself. They want a show? I'll give 'em a show- unlike anything they've seen before and perhaps again. And he did it.

He's out of his mind actually. Every cymbal and drum is labeled and detailed with gearing emblems and every piece is probably numbered. I remember not too long ago when i first saw his off-the-chart drum kit, I thought to myself what an a$$hole he must be as it was probably all just for show like some musicians. Nope. It's ALL needed. Oh, well. I've been wrong before.

Pure and simple, Neil's an animal.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
small kit Neil, no "overhead" views. Neil loved jazz, without him there would be no Buddy Rich tribute. Neil was known for his sit ins at small jazz venues in Los Angeles where he lived. I tried for years to be at one and never was at the right place at the right time. He even took time off and took lessons to improve his under hand grip playing. Yes even he took lessons late in his career.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I understand. I already have a pretty good idea how mine might fair against this Palmer drum piece. But wouldn't you benefit more if you were to acquire the Carl Palmer piece and then compared that to your own?

Of course those ambient cues would hold at lower volumes. Of course it can. Why wouldn't they? But as we all know the lower the listening volume the less engaging, the less like live, the more flattened the dynamics, and the more elevator music-like presentation we hear. We discussed some of this about a year ago when you opened a thread and provided a few videos about this very suject i.e. in-room recordings in general and some of the issues you faced.

As I think I said there, my in-room listening levels for video recordings are a bit louder to ensure at least a fraction of the overall gestalt is captured by the rather small stereo condensor mic attached to my smartphone. I think I also said, if you don't capture even this fraction of the gestalt in an in-room recording, you'd be presenting a boring video that will put others to sleep. So I flirt a bit with the fine line of overloading the little mic from time to time but who cares, right?

Yup, you've pretty much got that down. Send me a reasonable digital version and I'll gitter done. :)

I already have a pretty good idea how my system fares in such a test...having made my own recordings of live musicians that I then playback.

There is no of course for the ambient cues holding up at lower volumes. One of the main effects of having a high "noise" floor (It is not necessarily true noise though as that you can hear signal well below...think tape hiss) in your system is exactly that you lose those low level cues as you go down in volume level because now the quiet bits are falling below your "noise" floor and you stop hearing them or they are truncated in the length of the decay. This will happen to all systems once you get below a certain SPL level, which will be different for all systems but will be better or worse depending on how well the system has "noise" under control.

Lowering the listening volume becomes less engaging BECAUSE you start losing those important low level cues that give you the live, low noise floor, feeling. It is not the SPL per se. I have been to live shows where the volume level was not very high in an absolute sense and yet it was very engaging because all the right cues are there.

Well, if you overload the mic (more probably the preamp attached to the mic)...that too will sound unnatural and you have ruined the impact of the recording.

Well, I don't have this particular Carl Palmer drum bit. I saw it the first time here and it seems to be on YouTube. Can you play something off of YouTube through your system?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I already have a pretty good idea how my system fares in such a test...having made my own recordings of live musicians that I then playback.

There is no of course for the ambient cues holding up at lower volumes. One of the main effects of having a high "noise" floor (It is not necessarily true noise though as that you can hear signal well below...think tape hiss) in your system is exactly that you lose those low level cues as you go down in volume level because now the quiet bits are falling below your "noise" floor and you stop hearing them or they are truncated in the length of the decay. This will happen to all systems once you get below a certain SPL level, which will be different for all systems but will be better or worse depending on how well the system has "noise" under control.

Lowering the listening volume becomes less engaging BECAUSE you start losing those important low level cues that give you the live, low noise floor, feeling. It is not the SPL per se. I have been to live shows where the volume level was not very high in an absolute sense and yet it was very engaging because all the right cues are there.

Well, if you overload the mic (more probably the preamp attached to the mic)...that too will sound unnatural and you have ruined the impact of the recording.
Morricab, It seems pretty clear we have different perspective here about what I said, about what constitutes a playback system's noise floors, etc. so I'm gonna' take a pass on a few of these potential rabbit holes as I've got more serious matters requiring much of my attention.

Well, I don't have this particular Carl Palmer drum bit. I saw it the first time here and it seems to be on YouTube. Can you play something off of YouTube through your system?
Can I play the Youtube version of the Palmer drum solo? It's been a while since I've had youtube up on that screen but yeah I think so. I mean of course. If so, can I record it? Yeah, that actually that would be rather interesting. Maybe I'll try that this weekend. If I do it, will you commit to also trying?

But of course there's always room for one more video, right? Of course.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Another in-room recording of a performance occurring in a very very large space that no doubt some will find sterile and lifeless. :)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Black Sabbath on Altec 604e (this is the concentric driver like a tannoy), 2k euro for the drivers in the used market, home made wooden box, 500 GBP crossover. Lampi GG with a 300 GBP auralic mini streamer, misho's pre and 3.5 watt power amp. The room is as narrow as it looks. This is tidal, not file

Bass will increase of the box is made bigger with a small slit port in the front

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Black Sabbath on Altec 604e (this is the concentric driver like a tannoy), 2k euro for the drivers in the used market, home made wooden box, 500 GBP crossover. Lampi GG with a 300 GBP auralic mini streamer, misho's pre and 3.5 watt power amp. The room is as narrow as it looks. This is tidal, not file

Bass will increase of the box is made bigger with a small slit port in the front

That's awesome. I don't think it is the last word in resolution, and it is a bit thick sounding with recessed highs, but it has great visceral impact, and none of the high frequency nasties one hears on so many of these videos from digital and otherwise. Perhaps the mastering is not overdone to enhance the highs and "detail". Amazing what a few watts can do in the right system.

Great looking system and I would think a real value for this level sound (based on YouTube video). Pretty impressive, IMO, for such a small room with little to no treatment and that glass thing between the speakers. Perhaps it has the energy because of the lack of treatment. Who knows? Some will surely find it boring and dull sounding. I'd love to hear it live. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's awesome. I don't think it is the last word in resolution, and it is a bit thick sounding with recessed highs, but it has great visceral impact, and none of the high frequency nasties one hears on so many of these videos from digital and otherwise. Perhaps the mastering is not overdone to enhance the highs and "detail". Amazing what a few watts can do in the right system.

Great looking system and I would think a real value for this level sound (based on YouTube video). Pretty impressive, IMO, for such a small room with little to no treatment and that glass thing between the speakers. Perhaps it has the energy because of the lack of treatment. Who knows? Some will surely find it boring and dull sounding. I'd love to hear it live. Thanks for posting.

A lot of that energy comes from the Lampi. Misho's electronics also have energy but Lampi once it connects to the pre is supreme in energy

The thick sound also comes from a poor wood cabinet it is just something he put up. He could easily get someone who knows to build a 500 litre box with thick wood and a slot

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I found it so so

My best Deep purple tape of child in time , I have 3 versions

Andro this is good stuff. Normally I don't like a recorded amplified music. But your video here is very interesting to hear a really good un amplified drums shine through the sound of amplified guitar, electone, vocal, etc. I like the clarity and dimensionality. Sound like they recorded this piece in one room not separate instrument in different room. No ear aching except when the electric guitar is really jamming. But I get ear ache anyway even at real venue when listening electric guitar jamming. You need a system that sound thick and shave off the high to not get ear ache listening electric guitar going at it imo.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
:)
An Advantage is when you are able meausure the freq balance yourself .
In that way you can be sure that what your are hearing is not a speaker fault , but is actally a result of the recording / mixing .
I have it on CD LP as well , but the tape is more spacious / transparent / pure of tone .
No ear aching except when the electric guitar is really jamming.
If one wants to tune this down , one could of course buy a Cello audio pallete /equalizer , but then you become essentially a producer / mixer your self .:)
Turning knobs with every recording ,lol.

The You tube recordings still fall short though , with you tube you cant capture the scale of a system / bass extension very good .
I have heard small 2 ways sound very nice on you tube , but from which i know in real life they are very limited .

Brg HJ

Ps i ve got a doors vid as well

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Another good one and it is through video. No need mega buck system to sound good. For me I like the sound that image size is more realistic not enlarged and you can have a sense of tangibility being able to locate where the sound come from. Your silly video can do that. Imagine the real in room.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Another good one and it is through video. No need mega buck system to sound good.
I suppose my speakers are a good alrounder .
Plus i dont need to make up for speaker/ system faults , by adding Cat litter boxes :) as david would say , that saves a lot $$$

I suppose i could improve with Lamm LL1 ML 3 Like you have , purer / cleaner tone , i m not sure about CH anymore ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing