Robert Harleys 'listening room

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
and speakers can be designed with a particular room like that, in mind, too. my speaker design was targeted to generally work in my room. ...
Mike, I thought your comment here was a bit off the wall so I texted the designers of your speakers asking verbatim, “Per chance, did you design Lavignes speakers with his room in mind?” and their response was a resounding, “No.”

What gives?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Please read my posts and you will soon become aware of my thoughts on room acoustics and how they correlate to achieving great sound reproduction. To avoid dragging this out, I will do better, here is a video of one of my systems along the long wall and of another along the short wall of my main listening room:

Please post a video of either song played back through your system so that I can assess the benefits and rewards of your purpose built room in comparison to my domestic listening room.

Carlos, since the other gent doesn't seem to be biting, I will. Assess away.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Well, the one good thing about this thread is that the spelling of Robert Harley’s name in the title has finally been corrected. Now that’s progress. ;)
Another Johnson? So it seems. ;)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Stehno, it sounds a little thin to me, sorry.

A little thin? Compared to yours, sure. Then again, what wouldn't sound thin comparied to yours? :)

Regardless, what we think we hear really doesn't matter much. What does matter is how our videos stand up against a more neutral reference. A somewhat "official" release on youtube that by-passes our systems and our rooms.

IOW, how much in the ballpark of such a reference do our own videos get?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
An excellent demonstration as to why the majority of members of the forum choose not to participate in this particular Game of Thrones,.

Reactions: sujay

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
An excellent demonstration as to why the majority of members of the forum choose not to participate in this particular Game of Thrones,.

What’s the issue? I love the sound of my video and I’m proud of what I have accomplished and what it represents. Stehno is also proud of his system and what his video represents. I don’t get what is there to be afraid of or ashamed of if you think that the video you post is representative of the sound in the room. The systems obviously sound even better in the room but the videos provide others a taste of what once’s system (s) can do.

It’s time for all those that like to parade their expensive toys on this forum to get the courage and demonstrate what they are working with. It is easy to sit around and be pretentious all day, but it is on these system videos where the rubber meets the road.

Most of us will never be able to travel and hear other members systems; I don’t even offer any invitations to my home. So the videos is all we have to represent to the forum community what we have accomplished. Instead of being braggadocious about how great our system sounds and how the latest ridiculously priced component is a world beater and made an unbelievable difference, why not just show us and let us listen for ourselves? Just show us, no need to be scare of, unless of course you spent all that money and have not accomplished anything exceptional or worthwhile, and have nothing to show for.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What’s the issue? I love the sound of my video and I’m proud of what I have accomplished and what it represents. Stehno is also proud of his system and what his video represents. I don’t get what is there to be afraid off or ashamed of if you think that the video you post is representative of the sound in the room. The systems obviously sound even better in the room but the videos provide others a taste of what once’s system (s) can do.

It’s time for all those that like to parade their expensive toys on this forum to get the courage and demonstrate what they are working with. It is easy to sit around and be pretentious all day, but it is on these system videos where the rubber meets the road.

Most of us will never be able to travel and hear other members systems; I don’t even offer any invitations to my home. So the videos is all we have to represent to the forum community what we have accomplished. Instead of being braggadocious about how great our system sounds and how the latest ridiculously priced component is a world beater and made unbelievable difference, why not just show us and let us listen for ourselves? Just show us, no need to be scare off, unless of course you spent all that money and have not accomplished anything worthwhile and have nothing to show for.

Carlos, do you think TAS is going to start showing reviewer‘s systems in videos? It would be kind of interesting to see how different systems under review sound in Robert’s new purpose designed room.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, do you think TAS is going to start showing reviewer‘s systems in videos? It would be kind of interesting to see how different systems under review sound in Robert’s new purpose designed room.

Michael Fremer did just that and not only showed us his room but allowed us to listen to a video that he certified as being representative of the sound in his room. I’m not sure how many other reviewers will do this as I’m starting to see that it takes a great deal of courage to do so. I never even thought twice about posting a video. I don’t even preview my videos. Just don’t get why anyone spending these large sums of money on these systems would have any hesitation, but obviously it is safer to be proud and confident on your signature line and on written text than it is on video.

Reactions: PeterA

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Instead of being braggadocious about how great our system sounds and how the latest ridiculously priced component is a world beater and made an unbelievable difference, why not just show us and let us listen for ourselves?
Carlos, it seems that the cornerstone of your argument revolves around, and in the main, aimed at members who by dint of their hard work or good fortune have been able to assemble their system(s) from equipment sporting the higher RRP end of the market. and in some cases the value of the system adds up to a significant investment, and are resorting to throwing around disparaging click bait statements such as:

“ Just show us, no need to be scare off, unless of course you spent all that money and have not accomplished anything exceptional or worthwhile, and have nothing to show for. “

” Instead of being braggadocious about how great our system sounds and how the latest ridiculously priced component is a world beater “

Have you not observed that the overriding number of members who Also choose Not to record and post the results up for critique often own a sliding scale of equipment in investment terms , not always the latest , not always the most expensive and not always fated to have been lauded upon by the reviewers and bloggers .

What might your theory be as to why this is the case?

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, it seems that the cornerstone of your argument revolves around, and in the main, aimed at members who by dint of their hard work or good fortune have been able to assemble their system(s) from equipment sporting the higher RRP end of the market. and in some cases the value of the system adds up to a significant investment, and are resorting to throwing around disparaging click bait statements such as:

“ Just show us, no need to be scare off, unless of course you spent all that money and have not accomplished anything exceptional or worthwhile, and have nothing to show for. “

Have you not observed that the overriding number of members who Also choose Not to record and post the results up for critique often own a sliding scale of equipment in investment terms , not always the latest , not always the most expensive and not always fated to have been lauded upon by the reviewers and bloggers .

What might your theory be as to why this is the case?

Again not accurate. Name one member that has more invested than I do, in my audio and mastering studio equipment. I have a large investment but it didn’t automatically guarantee me success. It is not about how much you invest or don’t invest. The point that I’m trying to drive home is that it is all about knowledge, and you can’t buy that, you have to earn it. For all those that think that you can buy your way into the upper echelon of sound reproduction, show us.

I have always been anti establishment and like to go against the grain. I prefer counterculture and raw realism than a polished turd.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Again not accurate. Name one member that has more invested than I do, in my audio and mastering studio equipment. I have a large investment but it didn’t automatically guarantee me success. It is not about how much you invest or don’t invest. The point that I’m trying to drive home is that it is all about knowledge, and you can’t buy that, you have to earn it. *** For all those that think that that you can buy your way into the upper echelon of sound reproduction , show us ***

I have always been anti establishment and like to go against the grain. I prefer counterculture and raw realism than a polished turd.
I agree entirely with your statement purporting that knowledge has to be earned , however that does not predispose that an overriding percentage of your target audience have not trodden that road to get where they are , and that it is entirely their prerogative should they choose not to “Show us “ .

It also does not preclude the situation where that hard won knowledge can not be purchased ( Well regarded dealer ) or to have been gifted by someone who has accrued such knowledge and have built an expensive system upon it.

For the record I quite enjoy watching other members system videos , simply that I am not interested in badgering those members who choose not to join in .

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
or to have been gifted by someone who has

I try my best to pass on my knowledge here as often as I can; often met with unsupported resistance.

it is entirely their prerogative should they choose not to “Show us “ .

Agree. No one is forcing anyone to do what they don’t want to do, I’m simply requesting, and I’m not alone in this. We read so much about such great systems and “Uber” components that are apparently worth their weight in gold; then why not showcase them in the so called “optimized” setting?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree entirely with your statement purporting that knowledge has to be earned , however that does not predispose that an overriding percentage of your target audience have not trodden that road to get where they are , and that it is entirely their prerogative should they choose not to “Show us “ .

It also does not preclude the situation where that hard won knowledge can not be purchased ( Well regarded dealer ) or to have been gifted by someone who has accrued such knowledge and have built an expensive system upon it.

I have benefited tremendously from the advice of a trusted dealer. But I was not ready to understand what it was that he was suggesting until I had already done a series of experiments with my former and conventional system to learn about accessories and set up and room treatment. Then I heard some thing which is decidedly out of the main stream and bought it in pieces.

this same dealer sent me a video of a vintage system with gear that people would laugh at on this forum set up simply sitting on the floor hooked up to basic wire and extension cords and playing a CD on an old one box CD player. The sound was astonishing compared to what I have heard from most other videos, especially ones highly touted at audio shows with the latest and greatest gear. The music was strings. Just a simple handheld iPhone video just like all the other videos and the sound quality was very natural and realistic over Youtube.

People getting this type of sound have nothing to worry about and are happy to share their videos. No discussion about video quality, whether or not it represents the sound of their system. He just said listen to this. I listened and I understood. it makes me wonder where the industry is going.

Reactions: Carlos269

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I try my best to pass on my knowledge here as often as I can; often met with unsupported resistance.
I cannot recall much in the way of pushback against your comments regarding the technical aspects of the hobby ! Perhaps I need to pay more attention .

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
What’s the issue? I love the sound of my video and I’m proud of what I have accomplished and what it represents. Stehno is also proud of his system and what his video represents. I don’t get what is there to be afraid of or ashamed of if you think that the video you post is representative of the sound in the room. The systems obviously sound even better in the room but the videos provide others a taste of what once’s system (s) can do.

Most of us will never be able to travel and hear other members systems; I don’t even offer any invitations to my home. So the videos is all we have to represent to the forum community what we have accomplished. Instead of being braggadocious about how great our system sounds and how the latest ridiculously priced component is a world beater and made an unbelievable difference, why not just show us and let us listen for ourselves? Just show us, no need to be scare of, unless of course you spent all that money and have not accomplished anything exceptional or worthwhile, and have nothing to show for.
So just anybody with the microphones in their iPhone can walk around who-knows-where in a room, with no actual experience in how to make recordings, and capture something which is representative of a complex system of electronics, the room acoustics, and the source material? No experience needed? REALLY???? I'm sorry, but these system videos - I don't care who 'certifies' it - just sound like echo-y, distant, indistinct globs of sound which makes one system sound much like any other, or a boom box for that matter.

Everything anybody wants to know about my own system is below in my signature, but it would be stupid to the extreme for me to believe that even with careful microphone placement, not one bit of the subtleties would come through. I'm not afraid to make videos - I did it professionally for awhile, but I do know a useless exercise when I see it.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
but I do know a useless exercise when I see it.

Keep telling yourself that and after a while you start to believe it. If audio and video recordings were not conveying, then we would not have this hobby to begin with. Let that sink in and think about that for a minute.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015

A little thin? Compared to yours, sure. Then again, what wouldn't sound thin comparied to yours? :)

Regardless, what we think we hear really doesn't matter much. What does matter is how our videos stand up against a more neutral reference. A somewhat "official" release on youtube that by-passes our systems and our rooms.

IOW, how much in the ballpark of such a reference do our own videos get?
The YouTube reference, not surprisingly, is much better than the in-room recordings. But it’s not really a fair comparison.

I agree, that for these type of comparisons the YouTube version it’s about as good a reference as you can get.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
Keep telling yourself that and after a while you start to believe it. If audio and video recordings were not conveying, then we would not have this hobby to begin with. Let that sink in and think about that for a minute.
Let exactly what sink in? In the professional recordings/videos I did, not once did I use some random phone to pick up instruments, and I think it's safe to say that no engineers in their right minds would do so. You're confusing studio / concert hall recordings with sticking a phone in a room and believing that a representative pickup is possible. You obviously have little idea what it takes to make a good, professional recording. Hint - it ain't an iPhone.

Reactions: Lee and Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing