RMAF 2012 - who's going?

I've been at RMAF for the last five years, but for some reason I have never met most of you guys. I hope this year is different.

Steve,
I'm in. But doesn't this group have enough clout to arrange a special listening session w one of the manufacturers? Wilson will no doubt be showing their new speaker. Why not write him and ask him if he'd like to open his suite after hours to 30 or so avid audiophiles from this forum for a special preview?
Marty

Although Wilsons have generally not been my favorite speakers at any given price point, I have to say I'm very interested in hearing the new one.

Just booked my tickets getting in Thursday, leaving Monday.

Steve, it'll only be one for din-din since Heidi can't get time off from work this year :(

For those who were at dinner last year would you go back to The Bent Fork or should we try for somewhere else

My concern with TBF is that the room probably won't hold more than 25 and I think we are way over that now

For those who were at dinner last year would you go back to The Bent Fork or should we try for somewhere else

My concern with TBF is that the room probably won't hold more than 25 and I think we are way over that now

I'll probably pass on dinner (even though I'd love to meet everyone) simply because (as has been mentioned) with that big a dinner group you don't end up interacting with much of the group at all, and it's really a challenge for most restaurants to serve good food to that many people at one time.

I'm flexible :)

I'll probably pass on dinner (even though I'd love to meet everyone) simply because (as has been mentioned) with that big a dinner group you don't end up interacting with much of the group at all, and it's really a challenge for most restaurants to serve good food to that many people at one time.

Actually the food was terrific and I am going to see if we can have an hour of meet and greet before dinner at the restaurant for drinks etc

I liked the idea for the exclusive session with one of the exhibitors. Anyone able to pull this one off?

I liked the idea for the exclusive session with one of the exhibitors. Anyone able to pull this one off?

Why not just meet in the bar area at the Marriott, grab some brewskis, and congregate off to the side before leaving for dinner?

Why not just meet in the bar area at the Marriott, grab some brewskis, and congregate off to the side before leaving for dinner?

Another option is that we could meet up at the Marriott bar, have a few beers, and then stumble across the street to this really bad Mexican restaurant we ate at last year. After a couple more beers (preferably Bohemia) and some chips and salsa (with some salsa stains dripping down your shirt of course), you really won’t care how bad the food is. Then we can stumble back across the street and drink some good microbrews at the Marriott bar and argue over who had the best sounding room.

And anyone who wants to argue that some digital setup sounded better than a R2R deck playing back something close to a master tape at 15 ips or higher will be taken outside and given a modified digital beating. A digital beating would be 010101, etc. A modified digital beating will be 12121212.

Another option is that we could meet up at the Marriott bar, have a few beers, and then stumble across the street to this really bad Mexican restaurant we ate at last year. After a couple more beers (preferably Bohemia) and some chips and salsa (with some salsa stains dripping down your shirt of course), you really won’t care how bad the food is. Then we can stumble back across the street and drink some good microbrews at the Marriott bar and argue over who had the best sounding room.

And anyone who wants to argue that some digital setup sounded better than a R2R deck playing back something close to a master tape at 15 ips or higher will be taken outside and given a modified digital beating. A digital beating would be 010101, etc. A modified digital beating will be 12121212.

That Mexican place is bad. Any resemblance between real Mexican food and the food there is purely coincidental :(

That Mexican place is bad. Any resemblance between real Mexican food and the food there is purely coincidental :(

Oh, I agree. That place makes Taco Bell look like a really authentic and very good Mexican restaurant. I love great Mexican food and I know Denver has a good Mexican restaurant somewhere. Back around 1988 I was in Denver for two weeks for a management training seminar and we went to eat at a dynamite Mexican place. Too bad I can't remember the name of it and where it was located.

...And anyone who wants to argue that some digital setup sounded better than a R2R deck playing back something close to a master tape at 15 ips or higher will be taken outside and given a modified digital beating. A digital beating would be 010101, etc. A modified digital beating will be 12121212.

I can guarantee that the Tape Project tapes in the "big" TAD room last year didn't sound as good as CD's (not even hi-res digital) in the "small" TAD room, and I know I wasn't alone in that opinion. I doubt it was particularly due to the different source material though.

I can guarantee that the Tape Project tapes in the "big" TAD room last year didn't sound as good as CD's (not even hi-res digital) in the "small" TAD room, and I know I wasn't alone in that opinion. I doubt it was particularly due to the different source material though.

That certainly wasn't my experience (and as everybody knows, crowded room, listening spot and which day you heard the system greatly impact results). Tape certainly sounded infinitely better when we had a private after hours screening for TP subscribers! The John Lee Hooker and CCR blew everybody out of the room.

I didn’t hear those two rooms so I can’t comment on them. I also don’t hold the TP tapes in the same esteem as lots of other people do. Do you know what R2R deck was spinning the TP tapes and what TP tape(s) you heard?
And having said the above, I can’t imagine that RB CD sounded better than a TP tape if the deck was in good shape and had decent PB electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing