Retip or upgrade Ortofon SPU Synergy?

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
I’ve been using and enjoying an Ortofon SPU Synergy for a couple years. Now that the needle is worn, I went back to my Denon 103 with a Midas body – though now retipped with a line contact needle. I think I like the change – more detail and tracks some modern reissues better. However, it’s hard to remember what the SPU sounded like when it was new, but it seemed like a major step up from the 103 at the time.

I listen primarily to vintage records across all decades, with a focus on the late 60s and early 70s. I do have a handful of modern reissues and more recent releases. I think I’m looking for something that blends the best of a vintage sound and a modern sound, if that exists, as well as something that has simpatico with the rest of my system.

Here are my ideas:
  • Retip the SPU Synergy with the same elliptical needle
  • Retip the Synergy with a line contact by Soundsmith or similar
  • Stick with an SPU but try a Royal GM MKii – not crazy about the low output and need for a SUT
  • Try someone new: EMT JSD 6
  • Or Charisma Audio Signature One cartridge
I’m open to other ideas but hoping to not get lost in considering options. I'm leaning to something new, but perhaps a retip with a different needle profile is the best place to start. Thanks.
Joe

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
It certainly can make sense to retip due to the relatively low cost added to what you already have :)

If you decide to jump into a new cart, and perhaps new sonic territory, the Schick arm has a great synergy with fellow Berliner, cartridge maker Tedeska*, in either 'spu type' fixed body or 1/2" type to use with a headshell, for another idea that aligns very well with your " blends the best of a vintage sound and a modern sound " concept.

*disclosure : Solypsa represents Tedeska in USA

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
Ortofon optimised the suspension / dampers for the elliptical stylus, so gluing on a different stylus will change things ... maybe worse, maybe better ...

I've had many SPUs, including the recent Anniversary editions, and the Synergy remains my favourite of the modern SPUs, so if it were me I'd go for the factory re-build and just enjoy it for what it is.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
The SPU Royal would seem to be the answer, I have the N variant. The replicant 100 stylus worked well on worn records,, even discs that were ex lending library come through very well. You do need fine control of rake angle so fine screw adjustment of VTA and VTF is an advantage but it doesn’t have to be on the fly if you have patience when finalising the setting by ear. It doesn’t want more than a 1:20 SUT because of it’s higher internal impedance than most SPUs or so I’ve read, I’ve had good enough results with a Naim superline active MC stage (loading with 220?) that I haven’t explored SUTs with mine.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Ortofon optimised the suspension / dampers for the elliptical stylus, so gluing on a different stylus will change things ... maybe worse, maybe better ...

I've had many SPUs, including the recent Anniversary editions, and the Synergy remains my favourite of the modern SPUs, so if it were me I'd go for the factory re-build and just enjoy it for what it is.
What specifically do you prefer in the Synergy over any of the anniversary models?

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022

That makes sense. Since you have tried so many SPUs, if I was going to pivot to something else, any suggestions?

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
The SPU Royal would seem to be the answer, I have the N variant. The replicant 100 stylus worked well on worn records,, even discs that were ex lending library come through very well. You do need fine control of rake angle so fine screw adjustment of VTA and VTF is an advantage but it doesn’t have to be on the fly if you have patience when finalising the setting by ear. It doesn’t want more than a 1:20 SUT because of it’s higher internal impedance than most SPUs or so I’ve read, I’ve had good enough results with a Naim superline active MC stage (loading with 220?) that I haven’t explored SUTs with mine.
I would like to try a Royal -- the Schick's do not have that kind of fine adjustment though. How much gain do you have in your Naim?

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I would like to try a Royal -- the Schick's do not have that kind of fine adjustment though. How much gain do you have in your Naim?
The superline has 64dB gain.

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
What specifically do you prefer in the Synergy over any of the anniversary models?
Better tonal density (e.g. pianos), and higher output.

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
That makes sense. Since you have tried so many SPUs, if I was going to pivot to something else, any suggestions?
A95 is a half-way house between SPU and 'normal' lomc carts. I used it as my daily runner for over a year.

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
Any thoughts on the Charisma Audio Signature One?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing