Record Cleaning Machines

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do you know about any review direct comparing the Double Matrix Professional with the Autodesk Systeme? I am particularly interested in opinions about consumable and maintenance costs, but also on noise levels. Just suffering from the great VPI 17 noise syndrome ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Welcome back Myles.

I've had an Audio Deske cleaner sitting in the box for a week. I hope to get to play with it this weekend.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There's absolutely no comparison, the Audio Desk is in a separate plane. The old vacuum method machines, like VPI and Clearaudio, are good and all, but the Audio Deks is simply incredible. I've cleaned beat up old 60s mono LPs back into pristine shape.

It has its quirks and issues, but IMHO, it's worth putting up with them.

I've only used the Audio Desk cleaning solution so far, and they don't recommend the use of any other liquids.

alexandre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome back Myles.

I've had an Audio Deske cleaner sitting in the box for a week. I hope to get to play with it this weekend.

Thanks, think you'll be amazed too :) I know I was. Plus I didn't destroy any discs in the course of the review process! ;)

Debated for a while whether it was simply introducing a new coloration esp. in the midrange, but cleaned LPs actually just sound closer to the sound of the tape.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There's absolutely no comparison, the Audio Desk is in a separate plane. The old vacuum method machines, like VPI and Clearaudio, are good and all, but the Audio Deks is simply incredible. I've cleaned beat up old 60s mono LPs back into pristine shape.

I've only used the Audio Desk cleaning solution so far, and they don't recommend the use of any other liquids.

alexandre

Thanks for your feedback Alex! Know Christian is quite fond of his machine :)

My only regret is the price :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
infomative as always and welcome back (not that you went anywhere). i count myself in the latter group of future non-owners, not that i cant afford it but four grand buys a lot of new vinyls! what do you think is key to why it surpases other machines that have come before it, the ultrasonic agitation combined with the enzyme based fluid?

Thanks Rob!

The Audio Deske fluid doesn't use an enzyme cleaner. I'm wasn't able to find out what else was in the fluid (such as also a lubricant?) but have to assume its cleaning effect has to do with the scrubbing with the microfiber material, ultrasonic action and the amount of fluid actually left on the record after cleaning.

While one can argue (just as Discwasher founder Bruce Maeier did) that microorganisms and mold (and the resultant endoskeletons attached to the grooves) growing in the grooves cause pops, tics, etc., then one has to ask how and why the AD also improves the sound of new discs. So the machine's action may also have to do in part with the removal of mold release compound along with allowing fine line trace styli to track the deeper parts of the groove (after all bristles aren't necessarily going to get to the bottom of the groove). While it's sheer speculation, I imagine that the midrange quality observed after cleaning is related to changes in groove tracking.

As an aside, those using a "traditional" RCM (that's not automatic and uses elbow grease) might want to try the MOFI style cleaning brush.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

alexandre

+1.

had mine for 4 years. i had an early unit, but it worked fine for 2 years then the motor failed. even though i was out of warranty got a refurbed unit at no charge/exchange to me.

really nothing like it for living with vinyl daily. it's great. i use minimal of the liquid soap.

i also have a Loricraft PRC4 Delux for when i need to use enzymes. i like the Loricraft too.....but........i've not used the Loricraft in 3 months. i use the Audio Deske almost daily.

enough said.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
+1.

had mine for 4 years. i had an early unit, but it worked fine for 2 years then the motor failed. even though i was out of warranty got a refurbed unit at no charge/exchange to me.

really nothing like it for living with vinyl daily. it's great. i use minimal of the liquid soap.

i also have a Loricraft PRC4 Delux for when i need to use enzymes. i like the Loricraft too.....but........i've not used the Loricraft in 3 months. i use the Audio Deske almost daily.

enough said.

I have to say that the fully automatic cleaning feature is especially addictive. Using my VPI is kind of like going back to a preamp without a remote control :(

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Whenever a get a record, new or old, for the first clean, I hand scrub it with enzyme solution Audio Itelligent, wipe it dry with micro fibre towel then finish it off with the audio desk.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Whenever a get a record, new or old, for the first clean, I hand scrub it with enzyme solution Audio Itelligent, wipe it dry with micro fibre towel then finish it off with the audio desk.

Good idea but one does have to be careful to completely remove the "traditional" RCF as some seem to cause the AD's solution to froth and then you have to dump the fluid out and start all over :(

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
The AD is brilliant and a necessity if you are seriously into enjoying vinyl playback. It has resuscitated records from the 50s-70s that I thought were beyond life. Brilliant product. I have it outside my listening room, where it works its magic on the next record while I am enjoying the one it just cleaned.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
AD was set up with two of their machines at Axpona 2013 (probably in case one broke ;)). The demo guy wanted to know if he could clean one of my LPs. I gave him my Miles Davis MoFi LPs to clean. After waiting 5 minutes for it to go through the cycle, he pulls my LP out and it still has wet spots on it. He starts waving my LP around in the air in an attempt to dry it for me. I wasn't impressed. His excuse for why it came out with wet spots was that he didn't lift the LP straight up out of the machine. Is this a common problem?

Also, he told me that they now have a bunch of loaner units so that when your RCM breaks and has to be sent to Germany for repair, they have a loaner unit to send you. What is telling is that this program is necessary. I'm sorry, for $4K I'm not impressed.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I wonder about these wet spots. I have cleaned at least a thousand records and it's never happened. They come out completely dry and ready to play.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If the lips are not adjusted correct, some drops can be left, especially with standard weight 150 gram records. My machine was like that prior to breaking down. When it came back, they adjusted the lips and I have cleaned over 200 records with a total of maybe 3 where I needed to blot the few droplets off with a micro fibre towel. Yes the unit is expensive. If you have a lot of records to clean, it is a real time saver and most important, zero static after finishing the dry process.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wonder about these wet spots. I have cleaned at least a thousand records and it's never happened. They come out completely dry and ready to play.

I wasn't impressed with the wet spots either. I wasn't impressed with his excuse for the wet spots or his remedy (waving my LP around in the air like a madman). Maybe his machine was broken. What is the percentage of people on this forum who own the AD and have had problems which required a round trip to Germany? I think it's fairly high if I'm not mistaken.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I wonder if it's something with how they are spec'd for the U.S. and 110V?
The people I know who have one have had trouble free operation, for a long time. Maybe it's as basic as not having levelled the unit.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mine also leaves the web spots on the LPs, and I couldn't find a pattern. Apparently, it's the white plastic "lips" thingie that have to be inserted in the machine that bent up, and thus are not drying regularly.
Still, I don't mind. The results are fantastic enough. I just leave the LPs out drying out of their sleeves before I put them on the turntable.

mep, don't judge it before you see what it can do to crusty old LPs.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing