Recommend me a Magnepan after my encounter with a Magneplanar MG-1

pinkpanther

Oct 29, 2019
I really enjoyed an old pair of Magneplanar MG-1's some time back - I recall the sound was excellent bar a problem with the upper treble so I perhaps stupidly sold them on.

Can anyone highly recommend a similar pair of Magnepans - preferably used to keep the price down, and hopefully reliable - for trying in my home again?

Thanks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Magnepan 1.6

Reactions: DonH50

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If you can swing a used pair of 1.7i Maggies.... I'm thoroughly enjoying mine!!

pinkpanther

Oct 29, 2019
Thanks for your suggestions.

Thinking about it I do have some preference... I would like them to be equally as tall or taller than the original MG-1's that I briefly owned - with the treble 'section' closer to the top (I have a soft chair in the way at the back for which ideally I would like most of the music to fire over - it worked perfectly with the MG-1's). Actually it may have worked better with the MG-1's because the treble units were handed and I had the treble on the inside which meant the directional sound could 'beam' through (for want of a better word).

Currently my Role Audio Enterprise's play this role well because all the drivers fire above this chair.

Also I fancy an external crossover box if possible - this will then allow me to disconnect it and use DSP for processing the crossover instead - which sounds like an interesting option.

Being in the UK makes prices of Maggies prohibitive brand new.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stands are available.

pinkpanther

Oct 29, 2019
OK suggestions made on what Maggies to get - anyone thinking of selling one in the UK?

pinkpanther

Oct 29, 2019
Coming back to this subject, it would seem that the new low cost Maggie LRS perform so well that there’s no need for me to look for something used.

Have some of you had experience of this little newcomer?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Coming back to this subject, it would seem that the new low cost Maggie LRS perform so well that there’s no need for me to look for something used.

Have some of you had experience of this little newcomer?

We bought a pair of LRS sight unseen and without audition....took some time to arrive as they are/were back ordered. Truly delightful speakers.
Have moved to stand mounted Wilson’s but these LRS were a true competitor to a speaker costing 15 to 20 times more.
There is now an aftermarket stand on one of the threads.

stevenally

Feb 23, 2022
I really enjoyed an old pair of Magneplanar MG-1's some time back - I recall the sound was excellent bar a problem with the upper treble so I perhaps stupidly sold them on.

Can anyone highly recommend a similar pair of Magnepans - preferably used to keep the price down, and hopefully reliable - for trying in my home again?

Thanks.
My first taste of Magnepan was a pair of MG1 imp pushed with a Hafler 220 amp & Adcom GFP1A preamp. I was hooked. Currently running 1.7 i speakers & a pair of their DWM bass panels. Power is a pair of Krell KMA Mk2 amplifiers. While I have no prejudice against pre-owned equipment ,
I would only purchase used Maggys from a reputable hifi shop with some sort of warranty/ return policy. New Magnepans are not inexpensive , but you know what you are getting.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My first taste of Magnepan was a pair of MG1 imp pushed with a Hafler 220 amp & Adcom GFP1A preamp. I was hooked. Currently running 1.7 i speakers & a pair of their DWM bass panels. Power is a pair of Krell KMA Mk2 amplifiers. While I have no prejudice against pre-owned equipment ,
I would only purchase used Maggys from a reputable hifi shop with some sort of warranty/ return policy. New Magnepans are not inexpensive , but you know what you are getting.
I too owned the Hafler /Maggie combo. I would not worry much about warranty on a used 1.7. Providing they are in good order they are extremely reliable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing