Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the Yuja Wang concert Tuesday night at Carnegie Hall too. My wife surprised me with a birthday present to have my birthday dinner at Sea Fire Grill, NYC (my favorite) and see Yuja Wang! We flew into NYC and stayed at the Royalton Park Ave South. It’s a long way from Carnegie Hall but she had business in that area. Really nice hotel. We had dinner at the Redeye Grill across the street from Carnegie Hall the night of the concert. Nice! I’ve been waiting a long time to see her as well but everyone knows why it has not been possible for the past two years. I agree with everything Marty said about her above and he did an excellent job describing her background. She certainly is quite different in her presentation, however, I really enjoy her Intrepretations. Carnegie Hall posted her program AFTER the concert for the reasons Marty articulated above. I’ve attached it. If you’ve not heard her, try a selection from her “Encores” CD, Prokofiev Piano Sonata #7, third movement. She played it as her FIFTH encore for the evening. I thought I detected smoke coming from the keyboard as she played it Tuesday night. I completely agree with Marty regarding her bowing to the audience. I cringe every time she does it because I fear one of these days she is going to crack her noggin on the piano or the bench. Lastly, as you can see from the pictures provided she is quite lovely. Proof that life is unfair. Not only is she INCREDIBLY talented (think other worldly from another planet or something) but beautiful too! Now I hasten to point out that my YOUNGEST daughter-in-law is her age so my question is what does her Dad think of the gowns? Hmm.

Attachments

• Yuja Wang, Piano | Apr 12, 2022 at 8 PM | Carnegie Hall.pdf
    374 KB · Views: 9
  • D5E29F33-6AAE-4D47-8FCB-18AA2DDEF8E1.jpeg
    D5E29F33-6AAE-4D47-8FCB-18AA2DDEF8E1.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E53A466F-F897-478C-BE1E-62051A4AE1F6.jpeg
    E53A466F-F897-478C-BE1E-62051A4AE1F6.jpeg
    764.9 KB · Views: 10
I was at the Yuja Wang concert Tuesday night at Carnegie Hall too. My wife surprised me with a birthday present to have my birthday dinner at Sea Fire Grill, NYC (my favorite) and see Yuja Wang! We flew into NYC and stayed at the Royalton Park Ave South. It’s a long way from Carnegie Hall but she had business in that area. Really nice hotel. We had dinner at the Redeye Grill across the street from Carnegie Hall the night of the concert. Nice! I’ve been waiting a long time to see her as well but everyone knows why it has not been possible for the past two years. I agree with everything Marty said about her above and he did an excellent job describing her background. She certainly is quite different in her presentation, however, I really enjoy her Intrepretations. Carnegie Hall posted her program AFTER the concert for the reasons Marty articulated above. I’ve attached it. If you’ve not heard her, try a selection from her “Encores” CD, Prokofiev Piano Sonata #7, third movement. She played it as her FIFTH encore for the evening. I thought I detected smoke coming from the keyboard as she played it Tuesday night. I completely agree with Marty regarding her bowing to the audience. I cringe every time she does it because I fear one of these days she is going to crack her noggin on the piano or the bench. Lastly, as you can see from the pictures provided she is quite lovely. Proof that life is unfair. Not only is she INCREDIBLY talented (think other worldly from another planet or something) but beautiful too! Now I hasten to point out that my YOUNGEST daughter-in-law is her age so my question is what does her Dad think of the gowns? Hmm.
That's funny Ralph. We ate at the Redeye also that night! One of my faves. (So is Trattoria Dell'Arte next door)
I loved her gowns. (Reader- she changes gowns at intermission).
She certainly is incendiary. I agree with you. I think there was smoke coming from the keyboard!!

That's funny Ralph. We ate at the Redeye also that night! One of my faves. (So is Trattoria Dell'Arte next door)
I loved her gowns. (Reader- she changes gowns at intermission).
She certainly is incendiary. I agree with you. I think there was smoke coming from the keyboard!!
You are consistent as ever...Redeye and Trattoria are both owned by Shelly Fireman.

I heard Yuja Wang in Chicago on Sunday 4/10.
Eight (8) encores per "Master Pianist Yuja Wang May Have Broken the Record for Encores (and More)"

And on Thursday 4/14 an excellent Chicago Symphony concert. Two reviews:
A Stunning Night as the CSO Soars Under Baton of Brilliant Conductor and Violin Soloist

Mäkelä makes impressive CSO debut in iridescent music by Stravinsky and Hillborg

Reactions: marty and rsorren1
You are consistent as ever...Redeye and Trattoria are both owned by Shelly Fireman.
At Lincoln Center, we often go to his other haunt, Cafe Fiorello. Fiorello and Dell'Arte have fantastic antipasti. As good as those 3 are, he also owns the Brooklyn diner on 57th, which is an utter dog and a disgrace to NY diners and the name "Brooklyn". Of well, I guess you can't win them all.

Last edited:
Fun outdoor concert. America, 50th anniversary tour in Houston last night.

Attachments

• tempImageHNHkIj.png
    tempImageHNHkIj.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
One of the things I enjoy when attending concerts are the program notes, especially if they are done well, or if I learn something new. Last night I was at Carnegie and heard Jaap Von Zweden and the NY Phil perform Brahms 1st Piano Concerto with Igor Levit (his premiere NY Phil appearance) and Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra. Nothing much to say about Levit’s fine performance other than to say that unlike Yuja Wang, he isn’t going to win any “best dressed” awards (kind of looked like he was wearing a black T shirt and black jeans).

But the story of Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra in the program notes shed a new light on Bartok for me. Written at the end of his life (1881-1945), the most famous Hungarian composer aside from Liszt was very ill from leukemia, hospitalized and destitute. Realizing his plight, Serge Koussevitzky's of the BSO commissioned the Concerto for Orchestra by offering $1000 to Bartok, who did not initially accept the commission because he considered it charity. Koussevitsky strenuously disagreed and cleverly told Bartok it was only a down payment and the balance would be given after completion of the work. Bartok finally agreed and in the last months of his life completed the work in about 3 months, shortly before he died in a NYC hospital weighing 87 pounds. Koussevitsky's Boston Symphony Orchestra premièred the work in December 1944 to highly positive reviews. The Concerto for Orchestra quickly became Bartók's most popular work, although he did not live to see its full impact.

Bartok is a tough composer for me. Considered by many to be the “last great composer” there are some pieces I love (Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta), some I dislike (Bluebeard’s Castle), and some that I tolerate (Miraculous Mandarin). For some reason I do not understand, I think my breakthrough in understanding Bartok’s genius was the same as it is was for Shostakovich, namely, the String Quartets. With Shostakovich, his symphonies always sounded like music played at a Russian Military camp circa WWI whereas his string quartets revealed the full measure of his compositional brilliance that are the farthest thing from military music.. Same for me with Bartok in that I may have never warmed up fully to his long symphonic compositions which lived on the edge of tonality (without typical harmonic constructions) and modern conventions (polymodal chromatism and strange scales). But his string quartets are mesmerizing. The NY Phil’s performance of the Concerto for Orchestra was excellent, although it was hard for me not to long for the interpretation by his good friend and fellow Hungarian, Fritz Reiner.

IMG_0285.jpg

Last edited:
At Lincoln Center, we often go to his other haunt, Cafe Fiorello. Fiorello and Dell'Arte have fantastic antipasti. As good as those 3 are, he also owns the Brooklyn diner on 57th, which is an utter dog and a disgrace to NY diners and the name "Brooklyn". Of well, I guess you can't win them all.
Good to know! Will keep that in mind. Cafe Fiorello was one of his first I think?

Joe Bonamassa at Durham Performing Arts Center last month. He absolutely killed it. Most likely one of the best shows I have ever seen and I have seen many great musicians in my life.

Reactions: Long Live Analog
Nadine Sierra in Lucia di Lammermoor at the Met

I saw this review of the stunning new staging of Lucia di Lammermoor at the Metropolitan Opera and knew I had to get tickets immediately. Thankfully there were a few good seats left. It sold out immediately after the review was printed 2 weeks ago.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lucia-...w-rose-rust-belt-sir-walter-scott-11650920938

I grew up loving opera sort of by accident because my dad played it in the house all the time. He didn’t exactly take requests although symphonic music as well as Broadway were also in heavy rotation. What was worse, he played live opera broadcasts on the car radio during family road trips much to the dismay of my two brothers and me; one of us who inevitably got smacked blindly and randomly in the back seat when we protested too loudly. How those experiences eventually translated into all of us loving opera I will never know, but we do.

I think I’ve seen most of the classic operas, but somehow I missed Lucia, one of the most popular of all the bel canto operas. Well, I’m not a Lucia virgin anymore, and what a performance to inaugurate my membership into this club! Not only was this 17th century Scottish tale given a new makeover in a declining present day town in America’s Rust Belt, but my sense is that I witnessed something extraordinary in the stunning performance of 33 year old Nadine Sierra in the title role. This was coloratura singing of such extraordinary magnificence, I wondered if this is my version of telling my daughter and grandchildren that I saw a true legend in the making much like my dad felt when he saw Joan Sutherland and Maria Callas. Although Joan Sutherland will always be my standard for the role because she was my dad's favorite so I heard her in the house constantly. She also sang it at the Met 37 times since her debut performance in 1961 although I have only known her voice on LP and CD (and streaming). I imagine I would have been equally mesmerized by seeing "La Stupenda" live as I was tonight seeing Sierra, who literally had me in tears with some of the most exquisite singing I have ever heard, especially in the famous “mad” scene in Act 3. (Unfortunately they substituted the glass harmonica with a flute! Unacceptable!) What was a real treat is that she is a superb dramatic actress, a quality for which Maria Callas was also known. Between her acting and her singing, she had me at hello. The superb Simon Stone production was as ingenious as it was creative, with real time film footage shot by a live crew projected onto a screen above the stage during a good deal of the opera. The supporting cast was equally superb, especially Javier Camarena who is a very accomplished tenor. All in all, this was incredible art at the highest level. I have no idea what opera Ms. Sierra will be in next year, but if she’s in any Met production, you can bet I will attend and buy my tickets well in advance. She’s definitely opera’s new diva and with good reason. Just magnificent.

1.png

This is what she looks like after stabbing her husband to death! (Donizetti's opera is actually based on a true story!) Also, a hell of a dry cleaning bill, no doubt.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Nadine Sierra in Lucia di Lammermoor at the Met

I saw this review of the stunning new staging of Lucia di Lammermoor at the Metropolitan Opera and knew I had to get tickets immediately. Thankfully there were a few good seats left. It sold out immediately after the review was printed 2 weeks ago.

Lucia will be shown in the Live in HD series in movie theaters on Saturday May 21. Also there is an encore on Wednesday May 25.

Many PBS stations broadcast these Met performances after a few months.

Lucia will be shown in the Live in HD series in movie theaters on Saturday May 21. Also there is an encore on Wednesday May 25.

Many PBS stations broadcast these Met performances after a few months.
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!
I saw some TV cameras recording the performance but had no idea what it was for. I assumed it was for future broadcasts, but the Live in HD on the big screen is terrific.

I attended on Friday 27th in Padova (Palageox space), the live performed by Dead Can dance (Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry along with a four member band).
It was the only italian date of the 2022 tour, re-programmed after the stop due to Covid.
Superlative music, not only for audiophiles, some songs from their best. Both voices are still fresh and vibrant.
Unfortunatly the sound quality was not so excellent due to a few audible resonances of the space, neverthless I enjoyed the live concert very much, love DCD.
Marco

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_231759.jpg
    IMG_20220527_231759.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220527_214350.jpg
    IMG_20220527_214350.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20220528-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20220528-WA0017.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 6
So, I had been having bad luck getting back to concerts, which now seems to be turning around.

After the pandemic, my first concert was at Glyndebourne in March where some artists performed various arias. But after that, it felt like I was jinxed.

First, Nicola Bendetti canceled her Brahms concerto a day before the performance in April, as she was unwell. Next, Janine Jansen canceled her Tchaikovsky concerto performance a day before, as she had not recovered from some surgery. They had replacement perfomers but I did not bother attending.

After that, I had to miss out an aria performance in May as I had to rush to Mumbai. Next, last Friday I had booked for Anne Sofie Von Otter, and I turned up for the usual 7:30 pm concert, only to know that this one was actually starting at 10 pm! I had to miss out on that.

So, this Monday I was booked for Angela Hewitt performing Mozart's 23rd. Guess what, the tube operators announced a strike. Well, I took a cab. Now, cab in peak London evening traffic, plus add the traffic when tubes (subway, not valves) are not working. I stalled near Trafalgar square, the traffic was moving slower than an inefficient speaker with high Q driven by a 45 tube (valves, not subway) amp.

Google maps estimated 45 minutes to walk, which would have made me late by 15. I then decided to do what a fit, good looking audiophile would

And I made it

Unfortunately, I was feeling hot for the first few minutes in the hall, and I must have been stinking to the people around me. Too bad.

Well, on Wednesday, Andras Schiff was performing Beethoven 3 and 4 with the OAE at Queen Elizabeth Hall. It was sold out for weeks. I reached there 1 hour before the show, and the counter asked their manager who said they will be relasing two tickets reserved for management. One went to the lady ahead of me, and the second to me. Ha! Luck is turning.

Next day (yesterday) he was performing The Emperor, and one ticket got returned on Wednesday which I snapped up. So I got to see him perform 3, 4, and 5 in two days. I had previously seen him perform this with Ivan Fisher and the Budapest at the Barbican in 2019, but it seemed quite better here. I have seen him perform Bach a few times before.

Andras Schiff gives a talk before each work, which can be quite interesting. I recorded his talk before the Emperor, hope you can hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: marty
Saw Jack Ladder a few weeks back with piano and backed by strings - so good

Attachments

• 20220506_215447.jpg
    20220506_215447.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 0

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing