Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, we saw Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Edgar Meyer, Stuart Duncan and Bryan Sutton performing together in support of Bela's new album, "A Bluegrass Heart" at The Sheldon in St Louis.

Masterful musicians playing for over 2.5 hours.

It was truly incredible.

If they're coming to your town, most highly recommended. If not, the recent album is awesome, with both new and seasoned bluegrass pros joining Bela Fleck.

I’ve been looking forward to tonight for almost 2 years. The last time I was at Carnegie was in March 2020 which was just about the time all concerts were canceled due to Covid. Tonight featured the Vienna Philharmonic performing Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto and his Second Symphony. But here’s the amazing twist. All Carnegie ticket holders received an emergency email yesterday saying that Valerie Gergiev, the conductor and Denis Matsuev, the featured soloist, would not perform with the Vienna Philharmonic and that a substitute conductor and pianist would replace them. Fortunately, they managed to get Yannick Nezet-Séguin to fill in on1 day’s notice. As most everyone knows, Yannick is the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Metropolitan Opera (and still remains the principal conductor of the Orchestre Metropolitain de Montreal since 2000 which I guess he does in his spare time). The substitute pianist was Seong-Jin Cho who rose to stardom in 2015 by winning the International Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw and who now has an exclusive recording contract with DGG.

But that’s not the story! Rather, it is why Gergiev and Matsuev didn’t perform. Simply put, they were canceled. The story is detailed here:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...tin-dropped-122806439.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

Basically, they were canceled both at Carnegie and La Scala because of their long association with Putin. This is unbelievable and very sad. I have never heard of this in modern times although several Nazi sympathizer conductors were canceled by the public in the 40s (some inappropriately including the misguided cancelation of Furtwangler, but that’s another story).

Reminds me of the famous line "So, aside from the fact your husband was shot Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" You already know the answer. Yannick is arguably the greatest conductor working today and he and the Vienna Phil were superb. You could also easily see he went nuts over Cho’s performance and bear-hugged him for 5 minutes afterwards and then sat down in the last row of the violin section as he encouraged Cho to do a brief solo encore. The audience loved every minute of it and wouldn’t let the guy leave the stage! Some said this performance will catapult his career to new heights. All in all, a truly remarkable return to classical concerts after 2 years of a miserable pandemic.

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 11.44.42 PM.png

IMG_0122.jpeg

What could be better? How about tomorrow night, when Yannick and the Vienna play:
DEBUSSY Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
RAVEL Daphnis et Chloé Suite No. 2
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade

Can't wait! It's good to finally be back at Carnegie.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking forward to tonight for almost 2 years. The last time I was at Carnegie was in March 2020 which was just about the time all concerts were canceled due to Covid. Tonight featured the Vienna Philharmonic performing Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto and his Second Symphony. But here’s the amazing twist. All Carnegie ticket holders received an emergency email yesterday saying that Valerie Gergiev, the conductor and Denis Matsuev, the featured soloist, would not perform with the Vienna Philharmonic and that a substitute conductor and pianist would replace them. Fortunately, they managed to get Yannick Nezet-Séguin to fill on1 day’s notice. As most everyone knows, Yannick is the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Metropolitan Opera (and still remains the principal conductor of the Orchestre Metropolitain de Montreal since 2000 which I guess he does in his spare time). The substitute pianist was Seong-Jin Cho who rose to stardom in 2025 by winning the International Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw and who now has an exclusive recording contract with DGG.

But that’s not the story! Rather, it is why Gergiev and Matsuev didn’t perform. Simply put, they were canceled. The story is detailed here:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...tin-dropped-122806439.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

Basically, they were canceled both at Carnegie and La Scala because of their long association with Putin. This is unbelievable and very sad. I have never heard of this in modern times although several Nazi sympathizer conductors were canceled by the public in the 40s (some inappropriately including the misguided cancelation of Furtwangler, but that’s another story).

Reminds me of the famous line "So, aside from the fact your husband was shot Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" You already know the answer. Yannick is arguably the greatest conductor working today and he and the Vienna Phil were superb. You could also easily see he went nuts over Cho’s performance and bear-hugged him for 5 minutes afterwards and then sat down in the last row of the violin section as he encouraged Cho to do a brief solo encore. The audience loved every minute of it and wouldn’t let the guy leave the stage! Some said this performance will catapult his career to new heights. All in all, a truly remarkable return to classical concerts after 2 years of a miserable pandemic.

View attachment 89706

View attachment 89704

What could be better? How about tomorrow night, when Yannick and the Vienna play:

I wouldn't celebrate the cancel culture and forced vaccinations to attend a concert Marty.

david

I wouldn't celebrate the cancel culture and forced vaccinations to attend a concert Marty.

david
Ridiculous David. I go to hear great music performed by some of the world's best artists. I didn't cancel anyone and nobody forced me to get vaccinated. My subscription tickets were ordered a year ago and received in July with no earthly idea of whether there would ever be a concert. The first half of the Carnegie season was in fact canceled already. I would have attended this with bells on and in my underwear. Leave the politics out of it please. Nobody is forcing you to go to any concerts or receive any vaccinations. I'll also bet that 98% of the audience understands the stupidity of wearing masks which was mandatory but people did it anyway because of the music. (Mandatory wearing masks indoors will be banished any day anyway)

Reactions: ctydwn and bonzo75
Ridiculous David. I go to hear great music performed by some of the world's best artists. I didn't cancel anyone and nobody forced me to get vaccinated. My subscription tickets were ordered a year ago and received in July with no earthly idea of whether there would ever be a concert. The first half of the Carnegie season was in fact canceled already. I would have attended this with bells on and in my underwear. Leave the politics out of it please. Nobody is forcing you to go to any concerts or receive any vaccinations. I'll also bet that 98% of the audience understands the stupidity of wearing masks which was mandatory but people did it anyway because of the music. (Mandatory wearing masks indoors will be banished any day anyway)
I understand what you went for Marty but according to your post there was a political stance there and a large part of our countrymen are barred from attending this venue. Simply don't see what's there to celebrate. I apologize for offending you, that's not my intention.

david

I understand what you went for Marty but according to your post there was a political stance there and a large part of our countrymen are barred from attending this venue. Simply don't see what's there to celebrate. I apologize for offending you, that's not my intention.

david
Not a problem. I'm not offended, but I am confused. I took no political stance. I'm reporting what Carnegie and LaScala did and said it was sad. And not sure I understand who exactly was barred from attending? Anyone could have attended if you bought a ticket and adhered to their policies (which were decided by a private institution). Nobody forced anyone to do anything. As far as what there was to celebrate, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one,

Not a problem. I'm not offended, but I am confused. I took no political stance. I'm reporting what Carnegie and LaScala did and said it was sad. And not sure I understand who exactly was barred from attending? Anyone could have attended if you bought a ticket and adhered to their policies (which were decided by a private institution). Nobody forced anyone to do anything. As far as what there was to celebrate, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one,
For one the two musicians who were barred from participation and anyone without the forced "Passport" wasn't allowed to attend and enjoy with the same ticket you bought. That's why I can't celebrate the event and that's a stance.

david
PS I'm sure we're making some nervous, let's leave at agree to disagree Marty :) .

Reactions: tima
I’ve been looking forward to tonight for almost 2 years. The last time I was at Carnegie was in March 2020 which was just about the time all concerts were canceled due to Covid. Tonight featured the Vienna Philharmonic performing Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto and his Second Symphony. But here’s the amazing twist. All Carnegie ticket holders received an emergency email yesterday saying that Valerie Gergiev, the conductor and Denis Matsuev, the featured soloist, would not perform with the Vienna Philharmonic and that a substitute conductor and pianist would replace them. Fortunately, they managed to get Yannick Nezet-Séguin to fill in on1 day’s notice. As most everyone knows, Yannick is the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Metropolitan Opera (and still remains the principal conductor of the Orchestre Metropolitain de Montreal since 2000 which I guess he does in his spare time). The substitute pianist was Seong-Jin Cho who rose to stardom in 2015 by winning the International Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw and who now has an exclusive recording contract with DGG.

View attachment 89706

View attachment 89704

Sad about canceling Gergeiev and Matsuev. I saw Matsuev recently in Zurich...fantastic performance and I didn’t have to be vaccinated to see it ;)

Reactions: tima and ddk
"Riccardo Muti dedicates Beethoven 9th to people of Ukraine"

I attended this concert. Muti's remarks were vigorously applauded by the capacity audience. As was the performance.

I have attended CSO concerts (and theaters) regularly since Fall 2021 - masks and proof of vaccination required. Surveys have shown that most attendees think that this a reasonable requirement to try to keep everyone safe.

Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75
Review: Upended by Global Conflict, the Vienna Philharmonic Plays On

Yannick Nézet-Séguin picked up the baton at Carnegie Hall, after a conductor with ties to Vladimir Putin was dropped amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Unlocked:

Reactions: marty
Yuja Wang at Carnegie

IMG_0219.jpg

I’ve been waiting to see Yuja Wang for a couple of years. We were supposed to see her in 2020 but Covid ruined those plans. For those who may not know, her international breakthrough came in 2007 when she replaced Martha Argerich as a soloist in 2007 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. As they say, the rest is history. She is 35 years old now and at the height of her powers. So, it was with great anticipation we headed out to Carnegie to see her 3 nights ago. I came away ruminating about the concert for a few days as it was unusual for a few reasons.

To begin, this was my first encounter with an artist of such dominant stature who gave a concert at Carnegie whose selections included….Uh, what’s that you ask? You want to know what she will be playing? Well, the program says she’ll decide what she will play when she plays it, "but it could include, but not necessarily include pieces from the list on the next page". For real!. And by the way, “the program may not be printed in time for the performance”. OK. That’s a bit weird but I’ll go with the flow. In fact, she is quoted as saying “I firmly believe every program should have its own life and be a representation of how I feel at the moment”. Indeed. The problem is if the program isn’t printed, you won’t be able to find out anything about the composer or the composition unless you look it up on your iPhone during intermission or after the concert.

Next, I’ve not seen any pianist…ever…who used sheet music during a concert. Wang didn’t use sheet music, but she had her music on an iPad and changed the pages with a foot pedal (easily seen in the photo below). Hmmm. That was new for me.

As far as the playing, I am a bit torn. She is an unusual artist in that her personal style really speaks louder than the composer’s style. You would think it’s not easy to play Beethoven the same way as you play Albeniz, Schoenberg, Scriabin and Ligeti, but in fact, that is what she does. To be honest, it was unsettling. However, that’s what you are paying to see- a consummate showman whose showmanship is off the charts and full of unique individualism no matter what she plays. It has been said that Glenn Gould played Beethoven in a uniquely personal style. I understand that and yet his Emperor Piano Concert is wonderful even if it’s from outer space in parts. Well, the same is true for Wang. She takes artistic license liberally with everything she plays, and you wonder if any of the composers she plays are rolling in their grave when she does. I’m told by a good friend who played with Philly Orchestra that this is not unusual for musicians trained at the Curtis Institute, which she did. Players trained at Curtis in Philadelphia (which she did under Gary Graffman), are known for the emphasis put on virtuoso performance, whereas musicians trained at Juiliiard are more regarded for their ability to be tutti (ensemble) players. Well, she certainly does Curtis tradition proud. One thing is for sure. Nobody will fall asleep at her concerts. She seems to enjoy herself the most when her left hand and right hand are spread as far apart as possible, and she is playing fff warp9 music. Not surprisingly, there's a lot of that in her selections.

She is a crowd favorite for sure. She played 5 encores!! You couldn’t get her off the stage with a bulldozer. And let me tell you something. I’ve seen people take bows before but not like her. The speed and degree which her head goes down and up is breathtaking. She bows so deep that it would not surprise me if one day she puts herself in the hospital from fracturing her skull on the piano bench or the floor! It really must be seen to be appreciated. You almost want to gasp.

IMG_0216.jpg

I’m really looking forward to hearing my other favorite young (29) female pianist, Beatrice Rana, at Lincoln Center with the NY Philharmonic in June. Hearing Wang and Rana in the same season is truly a privilege. Thanks goodness the pandemic is in the rearview mirror. Maybe, if I get lucky, I won’t need a mask for Rana in June.

@marty

Can I ask what temperature your listening room was playing back her recordings before this outing?

Also, I agree this is abusive of audiences. Fit for one of the smaller chamber performance spaces at student prices without prior announcement.

Last edited:
Yuja Wang at Carnegie

View attachment 91623

I’ve been waiting to see Yuja Wang for a couple of years. We were supposed to see her in 2020 but Covid ruined those plans. For those who may not know, her international breakthrough came in 2007 when she replaced Martha Argerich as a soloist in 2007 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. As they say, the rest is history. She is 35 years old now and at the height of her powers. So, it was with great anticipation we headed out to Carnegie to see her 3 nights ago. I came away ruminating about the concert for a few days as it was unusual for a few reasons.

To begin, this was my first encounter with an artist of such dominant stature who gave a concert at Carnegie whose selections included….Uh, what’s that you ask? You want to know what she will be playing? Well, the program says she’ll decide what she will play when she plays it, "but it could include, but not necessarily include pieces from the list on the next page". For real!. And by the way, “the program may not be printed in time for the performance”. OK. That’s a bit weird but I’ll go with the flow. In fact, she is quoted as saying “I firmly believe every program should have its own life and be a representation of how I feel at the moment”. Indeed. The problem is if the program isn’t printed, you won’t be able to find out anything about the composer or the composition unless you look it up on your iPhone during intermission or after the concert.

Next, I’ve not seen any pianist…ever…who used sheet music during a concert. Wang didn’t use sheet music, but she had her music on an iPad and changed the pages with a foot pedal (easily seen in the photo below). Hmmm. That was new for me.

As far as the playing, I am a bit torn. She is an unusual artist in that her personal style really speaks louder than the composer’s style. You would think it’s not easy to play Beethoven the same way as you play Albeniz, Schoenberg, Scriabin and Ligeti, but in fact, that is what she does. To be honest, it was unsettling. However, that’s what you are paying to see- a consummate showman whose showmanship is off the charts and full of unique individualism no matter what she plays. It has been said that Glenn Gould played Beethoven in a uniquely personal style. I understand that and yet his Emperor Piano Concert is wonderful even if it’s from outer space in parts. Well, the same is true for Wang. She takes artistic license liberally with everything she plays, and you wonder if any of the composers she plays are rolling in their grave when she does. I’m told by a good friend who played with Philly Orchestra that this is not unusual for musicians trained at the Curtis Institute, which she did. Players trained at Curtis in Philadelphia (which she did under Gary Graffman), are known for the emphasis put on virtuoso performance, whereas musicians trained at Juiliiard are more regarded for their ability to be tutti (ensemble) players. Well, she certainly does Curtis tradition proud. One thing is for sure. Nobody will fall asleep at her concerts. She seems to enjoy herself the most when her left hand and right hand are spread as far apart as possible, and she is playing fff warp9 music. Not surprisingly, there's a lot of that in her selections.

She is a crowd favorite for sure. She played 5 encores!! You couldn’t get her off the stage with a bulldozer. And let me tell you something. I’ve seen people take bows before but not like her. The speed and degree which her head goes down and up is breathtaking. She bows so deep that it would not surprise me if one day she puts herself in the hospital from fracturing her skull on the piano bench or the floor! It really must be seen to be appreciated. You almost want to gasp.

View attachment 91624

I’m really looking forward to hearing my other favorite young (29) female pianist, Beatrice Rana, at Lincoln Center with the NY Philharmonic in June. Hearing Wang and Rana in the same season is truly a privilege. Thanks goodness the pandemic is in the rearview mirror. Maybe, if I get lucky, I won’t need a mask for Rana in June.
Nice. I will see Jan Garbarek on the 25th...also a concert that was supposed to happen 2 years ago.

Can I ask what temperature your listening room was playing back her recordings before this outing?
Ha! The listening room is actually reasonable and comfortable. It's the back room that houses the Mephistos that's like a sauna!

Ha! The listening room is actually reasonable and comfortable. It's the back room that houses the Mephistos that's like a sauna!

Poorly worded on my part. Normally I have jokes aplenty when things have gone wrong. :)

I failed to be awed by Martin Fröst's recorded playing in years predating attendance at an open rehearsal (season pre-Covid). Seated alone dead center level with the orchestra, he walked out and stood directly behind while the orchestra played on. After catching me register amusement at an unexpected outbreak of showy antics practicing a solo. Good humored embarrassment, of me, that ended quite well.

Plan to recapture my seat a few hours later was abandoned under the premise of having attended an incomplete performance unlikely to be surpassed. We say audio is about the people. The life they breathe in where a pulse is otherwise lacking makes this true. Concert crowds are a different matter altogether. We show up hoping for unrealistic energy in the positive sense. I was asking if you felt a discordant reaction to home listening of her programmed repertoire had intruded.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing