Question for Bruce: Do AES cables beat SPDIF for digital audio transmission?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just curious what your view on this is and your experience...?

Also, are there any particular brands you favor for good quality transmission?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Short answer..... AES cables beat SPDIF for digital EVERY TIME. I'm no engineer so I can't give you the specifics. Maybe it's the balanced design of AES. They can also carry clock signal. It's a constant 110 ohm and we use them for every IC cable we use, even analog signals.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Part of it is actually the much wider bandwidth of the AES/EBU interface. I've always used that.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Short answer..... AES cables beat SPDIF for digital EVERY TIME. I'm no engineer so I can't give you the specifics. Maybe it's the balanced design of AES. They can also carry clock signal. It's a constant 110 ohm and we use them for every IC cable we use, even analog signals.

Part of it is actually the much wider bandwidth of the AES/EBU interface. I've always used that.

Very helpful guys, thanks.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
So I tried the Apogee Wyde Eye AES digital cable today. Worked very well. Another level of sound.

Is this one good value for the money or is there a specific brand I should look for?

I also tried the DH Labs Silversonic AES but it was terrible compared to the Wyde Eye.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So I tried the Apogee Wyde Eye AES digital cable today. Worked very well. Another level of sound.

Is this one good value for the money or is there a specific brand I should look for?

I also tried the DH Labs Silversonic AES but it was terrible compared to the Wyde Eye.

It's a crapshoot really. But I use the venerable Kimber Illuminations Orchid. The Berkeley alpha folks recommend the Straightwire of all brands.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
It's a crapshoot really. But I use the venerable Kimber Illuminations Orchid. The Berkeley alpha folks recommend the Straightwire of all brands.

Good info, thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Bruce,
Can I ask you which brands and types you use?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
<$ = CAT 5E for runs under 100 feet

I thought we were talking about AES/SPDIF cables. I too have hundreds of feet of CAT 5e and CAT 6 cable that I use. I also use $ 0.25 /ft. AT&T ST-optical cable at hundreds of feet. In certain situations, you can get away with dirt cheap connections.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
$$$ = JPS Labs Aluminata
$ = Mogami Gold

Thanks.

Devialet use AES digital inputs in their amplifiers and when using multi-amplifier configurations a lot of them can be needed. Curiously in a strange configuration - the digital outputs are RCA, but they recommend connecting them to the AES XLR input of the slave amplifier using custom cables!

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I thought we were talking about AES/SPDIF cables. I too have hundreds of feet of CAT 5e and CAT 6 cable that I use. I also use $ 0.25 /ft. AT&T ST-optical cable at hundreds of feet. In certain situations, you can get away with dirt cheap connections.

Hi Bruce,
We are. CAT 5E makes a fine AES/110 Ohm unshielded cable. The attenuation at 10MHz/100 Meters is about the same, (-7dB) and its capacitance about two thirds at 52pf/meter (which makes it easier to drive if used as unbalanced SPDIF). It's just a practical alternative to dedicated AES/EBU cable. But admittedly, not very audiophile, or pricey.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Bruce,
We are. CAT 5E makes a fine AES/110 Ohm unshielded cable. The attenuation at 10MHz/100 Meters is about the same, (-7dB) and its capacitance about two thirds at 52pf/meter (which makes it easier to drive if used as unbalanced SPDIF). It's just a practical alternative to dedicated AES/EBU cable. But admittedly, not very audiophile, or pricey.

As far as I remember CAT 5E has an impedance of 100 ohm - it seems to me it is a too large mismatch to be recommended for AES.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
As far as I remember CAT 5E has an impedance of 100 ohm - it seems to me it is a too large mismatch to be recommended for AES.

You are correct, it's characteristic impedance is 100 Ohm +/- 15%. But at the data rate that AES/EBU operates, and with its transitions times, it's not a real consideration.

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3250.pdf

Appendix 2, Page 19

CAT 5 cabling is used very broadly in studio wiring for its versatility in transmitting BALANCED data and BALANCED line level audio over the same infrastructure. An additional advantage of its use for AES/EBU Data is that one cable accommodates eight channels of data. CAT 5E has many technical advantages beyond its use as Ethernet, or other network cabling.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
CAT 5 cabling is used very broadly in studio wiring for its versatility in transmitting BALANCED data and BALANCED line level audio over the same infrastructure. An additional advantage of its use for AES/EBU Data is that one cable accommodates eight channels of data. CAT 5E has many technical advantages beyond its use as Ethernet, or other network cabling.

Yes, but as most of us are very concerned about jitter in WBF, it is very disturbing to know that such cables are being used by those who supply us with out recordings. As far as I know, some operations during mastering are still carried in the analogue domain. And we must hope that the sound engineers listen to the recordings at the best conditions when working on them! :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
FWIW, Meridian is using CAT5 for speakerlink (digital) and also CAT5 to carry 6 channels of high rez audio between the HD621 and processor (using MHR), and it seems to be working just dandy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing