Powerline adapter problems?

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Delighted with new Boulder kit including a 508 phono stage (used with MC cartridge). But if the volume is high (higher than necessary, to be honest), there is audible background noise - a ticking accompanied by low-level "motor-boating". I've been pretty careful with cable disposition, and the whole amp system is balanced XLR anyway. I had a similar issue with a GSP combo and was advised that the use of powerline adapters to allow for extension of router signal can cause this.

Before contacting Boulder I was wondering if anyone else has come across this issue and if so how you solved it.

Thanks.

JeffL

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
It’s a well known problem. Hard wired or even wireless is preferable. I’m using wireless at the moment since moving into an apartment. There are two antennas on my streamer which sits on the shelf directly below my phonostage, which is a Naim superline and not renowned for its rejection of radio breakthrough but I detect no problems from the proximity.

Reactions: Jim Hagerman

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Thanks, Yeti. Powerline works v well for extending wifi range as well as providing sockets for cat cables, so v useful for a largeish house. But I might try disconnecting all the units and see what happens. Trouble is that wifi range is then much reduced! Oh well, can't win them all... I just don;t want to start digging more holes in walls for hard wiring.

Thanks again.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
We have coverage problems in our house due to layout, ducting, and the rails used to isolate the media room that partially shield it from wireless. I have wireless, range extenders, access points, and power line adapters in addition to short hard lines (house is not wired for Ethernet). Look into a (wireless) mesh network system for better coverage with less hassle. My dealer's contractor likes eero, but Netgear makes a highly-regarded (if expensive) system, and there are many others. I am looking at an Asus AX6600 for its combination of performance and somewhat lower cost (still not cheap). But, I am no network/IT guy, and just started researching.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Since this thread’s original run I’ve moved house and had solar panels fitted, included with which are a couple of powerline adaptors to connect their control box. No impact on the system until I bought a tonearm that used a detachable cable but on connecting the ground wire of the Ortofon cable to my phonostage I got exactly the clicking etc noise described in the original post, whether the other end is connected to the arm or not. Leaving the ground wire hanging unconnected clears the problem but is begging static build up in the arm. Oh well, time to get the masonry drill out, fortunately there’s only one wall in the way of an ethernet cable.

properlydeafened

Jan 27, 2017
Powerline adapters are super noisy. I attempted to use some on a remote streamer in my living room on a circuit with AFCI breakers. The powerline adapter would consistently trip the breaker. I ended up running cat6 to that location as a solution.

Reactions: Bso

Jim Hagerman

Jul 17, 2023
Oahu
www.haglabs.com
The issue here is WiFi digital pulsed communications getting into the phono input, right? Modern phonostages should have an RF low pass filter on the front-end prior to any contact with a semiconductor junction (transistor, opamp) to reduce the impact of demodulation. Phonostages are very high gain, so it doesn't take much signal at all.

Try getting all WiFi antennas placed away from the TT / phonostage.

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
That last line is the key in my limited experience. We have a number of Devolo powerline adaptors around the house which work really well for extending internet reception but are a menace for the audio system. The Boulder 508 picked up all kinds of rubbish when (briefly) on the same spur as a powerline unit. All seems well now that they are about 12 feet apart or more and on different spurs.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I’ve never had unwanted effects from WiFi but powerline adaptors are in a different league of trouble. Turns out the intermittent start up problem I’d had with my streamer was cured by their removal too.

Reactions: Bso

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing