Pilium Audio in action-

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
It might become hard to part from that Koda :)

My experience with DarTZeel outside shows and events is limited except for the CTH-8550 integrated. My overall sense is that DarTZeel has more of a house sound in comparison leaning towards the slightly more sweet and liquid side of the spectrum, which of course can be lovely with the right speakers - Stenheim being one of them. If you're an analogue or tube guy at heart, I'm sure you will find DarTZeel to be very special.

A higher price does not always equal greater performance as most of you already know. The cost of production and housing are major parts of the final cost. Pilium has an obvious edge here, being very sensibly priced relatively speaking without any (unnecessary) bells and whistles. It's certainly a "form follows function design" that's beautiful to me in its own right giving it a very solid and calm presence.

You can put Pilium against any brand on todays market.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Do you have any thoughts as to how Pilium compares to Audionet Stern & Heisenberg?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Do you have any thoughts as to how Pilium compares to Audionet Stern & Heisenberg?
On a rather unrelated note: did you listen to those Apogees with your Heisenbergs?

Sorry for being OT

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Yeah, it’s not possible for doing so. Among those 3, apart from the Stenheim that I listened at Munich this year, I have not had a chance to listen to the others. But as a long time magico q5 owner and I was really impressed with the Orchestra 2.9, I believe either Q7mk2 or MATT Vector will do an amazing job here. It’s just difficult to choose between those incredible speakers, so I will wait for the right moment and right deal to get one of those here ^^

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Yeah, it’s not possible for doing so. Among those 3, apart from the Stenheim that I listened at Munich this year, I have not had a chance to listen to the others. But as a long time magico q5 owner and I was really impressed with the Orchestra 2.9, I believe either Q7mk2 or MATT Vector will do an amazing job here. It’s just difficult to choose between those incredible speakers, so I will wait for the right moment and right deal to get one of those here ^^
As many here have said, only way to decide on a speaker is home demo. There are Stenheim now in the UK, but not sure what is available demo-wise. Am interested myself. Others in that space would be Wilson Benesch Omnium or Eminence, and Gobel Devin, both of which are demo-able in the UK.

Reactions: sonrock

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
On a rather unrelated note: did you listen to those Apogees with your Heisenbergs?

Sorry for being OT
No - went to listen to them on the end of Gryphon Mephisto, but decided too much of a risk to buy them on the chance they'd work with Heisenbergs and in my room

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
No - went to listen to them on the end of Gryphon Mephisto, but decided too much of a risk to buy them on the chance they'd work with Heisenbergs and in my room
Thanks for your reply.
Did like them (Apogee Duettas?) in that room on the Gryphons?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for your reply.
Did like them (Apogee Duettas?) in that room on the Gryphons?
Yes, although not blown away. Somewhat harsh at times, which surprised me given amps. Suspect this was room & set-up though. Has maintained my interest in panels tho!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, although not blown away. Somewhat harsh at times, which surprised me given amps. Suspect this was room & set-up though. Has maintained my interest in panels tho!
AlsyVoxes, then ;)
I think Emile from Taiko uses a Lampi Horizon and Heisenbergs to drive his AlsyVoxes.
Sorry again to the OP for my being OT but curiousity got the best of me :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: heihei and ctydwn

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
As many here have said, only way to decide on a speaker is home demo. There are Stenheim now in the UK, but not sure what is available demo-wise. Am interested myself. Others in that space would be Wilson Benesch Omnium or Eminence, and Gobel Devin, both of which are demo-able in the UK.
The Gobel is good but I want the bigger brothers that I can’t affront, not the Devin one. I’d rather keep my q5 or going for the orchestra 2.9 instead.

stenheim played wonderful music when I was there, from flamenco to instrumental and vocal. Actually the volume was really loud and I was right in the middle of the front row, so had great experience with them. The micro/macro dynamics are super although my ears were hurt a bit haha.

magico room was excellent too and they played pretty similar music to demo their system.

I had a privilege to ask Aldo at Sigma Acoustic to play my favourite tracks as only me and my old friends were there, 30 minutes before they closed on the last day. I was blown away the 3rd time in 2 days. I thought that I’d buy the Orchestra 2.9 which I listened at the show but it turned out that I can accommodate their bigger brothers MATT Vector so the hunt begins.

Reactions: heihei

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
it turned out that I can accommodate their bigger brothers MATT Vector so the hunt begins.

the Sigma MATT Vector is my favourite cone speaker and with all Kondo one of the top 3 commercial systems I heard. The fact that it can use better amps than any other cone makes it that much better

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I had a privilege to ask Aldo at Sigma Acoustic to play my favourite tracks as only me and my old friends were there, 30 minutes before they closed on the last day. I was blown away the 3rd time in 2 days. I thought that I’d buy the Orchestra 2.9 which I listened at the show
The Sigma Acoustics room with the Orchestra 2.9 was really good :cool:
Even with those pseudo tube class D amps :p

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
That made me stunned tbh, because I couldn't believe such tiny amps could drive those really big Orchestra 2.9 to such a wonderful performance.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
That made me stunned tbh, because I couldn't believe such tiny amps could drive those really big Orchestra 2.9 to such a wonderful performance.
Those tiny buggers (almost 20k :rolleyes:) are 200 watts per channel.

I *think* the Orchestra has something around 95dB sensitivity, so I would have preferred a powerful SET like something from KR Audio or Aries Cerat and I guess that would have sounded even better ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Those tiny buggers (almost 20k :rolleyes:) are 200 watts per channel.

I *think* the Orchestra has something around 95dB sensitivity, so I would have preferred a powerful SET like something from KR Audio or Aries Cerat and I guess that would have sounded even better ;)

For Vector the manufacturer specs say 102 db at flat 8 ohm. I have his measurement graphs in my write up

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the Sigma MATT Vector is my favourite cone speaker and with all Kondo one of the top 3 commercial systems I heard. The fact that it can use better amps than any other cone makes it that much better
+1
You forgot something bastanis mandala 102db/1watt 18"ripol active woofer. the most energetic sound i ever heared from a cone speaker.

Antheus29

Apr 7, 2021
Finally, after years of using my beautiful Karan KAM2000, I placed an order for the very first pair of the new flagship monoblocks and preamp from Pilium. Actually, I was about to purchase the Hercules and Alexander then stopped immediately after knowing that they started to make Zeus and Olympus.

I thought the new monoblocks would be called Zeus too but it turned out that I was wrong, they are called Atlas - just found out earlier today from Konstantinos. And instead of having SN1 and SN2, I'll have my unique serial numbers with my children names ^^, and my wife name will be used for the Olympus pre, can't be better than that.

I thought I would receive them by the end of this month and posting the pictures/review here as a surprise for everyone :D as I placed an order by late July, but it won't happen until January next year, pretty painful and annoying for the extra 3 months wait. Konstantinos told me the reason for this timeline so will be patient then.

Now I'm looking for a new pair of speakers that I'll use them with the new Pilium combo :) for many years in the future, be happy to keep my Q5s until the right time comes as they're still excellent to me in every meaningful way. The Atlas and Olympus, hopefully, will unveil new things that I have not discovered with my beloved Q5 speakers yet and give me a whole new world with whatever comes after.
Finally, after years of using my beautiful Karan KAM2000, I placed an order for the very first pair of the new flagship monoblocks and preamp from Pilium. Actually, I was about to purchase the Hercules and Alexander then stopped immediately after knowing that they started to make Zeus and Olympus.

I thought the new monoblocks would be called Zeus too but it turned out that I was wrong, they are called Atlas - just found out earlier today from Konstantinos. And instead of having SN1 and SN2, I'll have my unique serial numbers with my children names ^^, and my wife name will be used for the Olympus pre, can't be better than that.

I thought I would receive them by the end of this month and posting the pictures/review here as a surprise for everyone :D as I placed an order by late July, but it won't happen until January next year, pretty painful and annoying for the extra 3 months wait. Konstantinos told me the reason for this timeline so will be patient then.

Now I'm looking for a new pair of speakers that I'll use them with the new Pilium combo :) for many years in the future, be happy to keep my Q5s until the right time comes as they're still excellent to me in every meaningful way. The Atlas and Olympus, hopefully, will unveil new things that I have not discovered with my beloved Q5 speakers yet and give me a whole new world with whatever comes after.
Hi,
I was wondering if already heard the Karan master collection A

Hi,
When you decided to change your Karan for Pilium, I was wondering if you heard the new Karan master collection A?
If yes, what made you choose Pilium instead of Karan?
I’m asking that because both are in my short list of new amp (but in stereo not in mono blocks)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi,
I was wondering if already heard the Karan master collection A

Hi,
When you decided to change your Karan for Pilium, I was wondering if you heard the new Karan master collection A?
If yes, what made you choose Pilium instead of Karan?
I’m asking that because both are in my short list of new amp (but in stereo not in mono blocks)

I’ve personally owned and used the Karan KA M2000 mono amplifiers which was the statement amps before the current Master Collection.

I have a lot of respect for Karan which served me well for a couple of years. That being said, Pilium is an ever higher level in terms of ambition, build quality and performance. It’s honest, genuine and truly uncompromised products without restrictions and to me state of the art today with only a handful of real competitors.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
No I have not had a chance to listen to the new flagship amps from Karan, but I believe they’re nothing but only super in this case.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I just wanted to have a change with my system after many years using the same products from the brands that I admire and love. Karan amps punch way above their weight and incredible value for money. Most people were truly impressed when listening to my KAM2000 driving the mighty but difficult Q5s to their peak performance.

In fact the Karan amps are musical and warm with mellow voice without lacking slam and insane dynamics. At least that’s my own verdicts about them after years.

Pilium, on another hand, is something also really special, especially with their divine series. I was nailed down in my seat at munich and could only leave after spending over 30 minutes there listening to quite a number of songs in different types of music, not shocked but really stunned. 2 other rooms gave me the same feeling are Stenheim and Sigma Acoustic.

It’s hard to explain the emotions after listening to such beautiful music with the way I like it to be. Couple of years ago, I was at the same position when I was invited to listen to the new dcs vivaldi 2.0 system which was paired with Naim statement and Wilson Alexia. Truly amazing experiences with those stuff.

So, I think it’s about the right time for me to go for something new. Like Karan, I see Pilium is fantastic value for money and I can re-explore my CDs collection in a different but still wonderful way with them. It’s hard to say whether I like the Pilium more than the Karan as I don’t have and never have tried them here yet. But I am sure that I will be happy with my decision. Hope that help answer your question.

Antheus29

Apr 7, 2021
No I have not had a chance to listen to the new flagship amps from Karan, but I believe they’re nothing but only super in this case.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I just wanted to have a change with my system after many years using the same products from the brands that I admire and love. Karan amps punch way above their weight and incredible value for money. Most people were truly impressed when listening to my KAM2000 driving the mighty but difficult Q5s to their peak performance.

In fact the Karan amps are musical and warm with mellow voice without lacking slam and insane dynamics. At least that’s my own verdicts about them after years.

Pilium, on another hand, is something also really special, especially with their divine series. I was nailed down in my seat at munich and could only leave after spending over 30 minutes there listening to quite a number of songs in different types of music, not shocked but really stunned. 2 other rooms gave me the same feeling are Stenheim and Sigma Acoustic.

It’s hard to explain the emotions after listening to such beautiful music with the way I like it to be. Couple of years ago, I was at the same position when I was invited to listen to the new dcs vivaldi 2.0 system which was paired with Naim statement and Wilson Alexia. Truly amazing experiences with those stuff.

So, I think it’s about the right time for me to go for something new. Like Karan, I see Pilium is fantastic value for money and I can re-explore my CDs collection in a different but still wonderful way with them. It’s hard to say whether I like the Pilium more than the Karan as I don’t have and never have tried them here yet. But I am sure that I will be happy with my decision. Hope that help answer your question.
Yes. Thank you very much for your reply. I remember my experience with Karan KAM2000 with Wilson Alexia and APL DSD MR, it was my first Hign End Audio experience and I will never forget it!
Anyone here had the chance to listen to the new Karan's flagship?

Last edited:

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Another point to add is if you search through the internet and audio forums, you can see that Karan amps used to be paired with ceramic drivers speakers such as Avalon with amazing results reported from users. I don't know what speakers you are using at the moment but if they are ceramic drivers, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Karan.

Pilium, I don't have much experience with them but I believe they can also deliver stunning performance to any speakers of your choice. Compare to the biggest names in the business, I think both Karan and Pilium products are very fairly priced. Of course, generally people tend to buy famous and popular brands with a lot more expensive price tag but easier to sell in the end, and that creates a good gap for the others such as Karan and Pilium to come in and do a good work with their stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing