Phasemation EA-1200

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Phasemation seems to be gathering a bit of a following with their phono stages and cartridges. After reading Shakti's phono adventures and how he ended up with the mighty EA-2000 it piqued my interest in Phasemation. I was looking for a tube alternative to my SS Accuphase C-37 and it had to have 3 inputs. Up came the EA-1200.

EA-1200 -

1. NON-FEEDBACK LCR EQUALIZER DUE TO TUBE TYPE UNIT AMPLIFIERS COMPOSED WITH TWO MONAURAL BLOCKS​

• A transformer equivalent to T-1000 is built in and all three inputs can be switched to MC or MM for balanced inputs. In addition, Phasemation adopted the BAL/UNBAL switch for countermeasures towards noises when an unbalanced connection is made on the MC.
  • The non-feedback SRPP-type amplifying circuit of ECC-803S which has an excellent transient response and an outstanding reputation for sound quality plus the low impedance output cathode follower due to ECC-802S are together adopted as a unit amplifier. You can enjoy the large dynamic range and its glossy and lively sound quality that is possible only in vacuum tubes.
  • The LCR type is adopted for the equalizing circuit. Power loss and inductive noise in the signal line can be minimized and sound quality deterioration can be suppressed by adopting the LCR type which can reduce the impedance of the signal system. The information obtained is outputted from the last stage without any losses by adopting large coils, high quality film capacitors, and so forth.
  • Three types of equalizer curve switches are installed. The RIAA for stereo, Mono 1 (for use with DECCA label and so forth) and Mono 2 (for use with Columbia label and so forth) can be selected. Mono1 and Mono2 are for monaural use only. This enables a higher fidelity playback for both the DECCA and Columbia labels.

2. POWER SUPPLY WITH DIRECT HEAT RECTIFIER TUBES 5U4G COMPOSED OF A MONAURAL BLOCK USING A HIGH-CAPACITY R-CORE TRANSFORMER.​

For the rectification circuit, an R-core power transformer with excessive capacity is used and a rich rectification circuit is used for each independent left and right power supplies by using two choke coils and rectifier tubes (5U4G) which in principle do not generate switching noises. Furthermore, the power supply transformer and choke coils are magnetically shielded to provide a cleaner and stronger power to the amplifier. In addition, a 3-terminal regulator DC ignition system is used for the heater power supply of the amplifier achieving a high S/N ratio.

How does it sound -

difficult to describe. Silence is the first thing I noticed. This is below whisper quiet. the music flows with purity, the sound staging and details are pretty amazing, especially in the mid range and vocals. The bass is very fast and nimble which was the biggest surprise for me. This is certainly no rolled off, flabby bass tube phono stage.
This phono stage just seems to enable you to listen to the music more and for longer periods. that for me is the most pleasing part. Sounds excellent with the Lyra Etna SL and Ortofon A90. I will set the Lyra Atlas Lambda SL and SPU up over the weekend to hear how these sound.

only had it for a week, so more to come. Would luv to hear from other Phasemation owners.

I shudder to think how the EA-2000 sounds.

RitJp3S.jpg
x03ehY2.jpg

lwxzSEh.jpg
5VRESRz.jpg

pM59R70.jpg

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
I've just had PP-200 catridge arrive (I just can't bring myself to spenfd £000 on something I could dmage so easliy). I only got a short time after setting up for a short listen. First impressions are very favorable. Remarkable value on first impression.
Hugo who sold it to mee uses their T-1000 and swears buy them. He stocks the T-2000 as well!
Looking forward to hearing your further thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1 and Shuggie

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I had the chance to compare the EA-1200 and EA-2000 in my main system against three other great phono stages https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...aring-5-phono-stages-in-my-home-system.34341/ The EA-1200 was the less expensive of the 5 but was in the same league except for the EA-2000 which was on the top. Should I get a new phono stage it will be the EA-2000 without any doubt.

I have the little brothers, the EA-350 and EA-320 in my secondary and office systems. Both are connected to Sculpture A SUTs (Silver SUT for the EA-350 with a Lyra Etna cart and Mini Nano for the EA-320 with a Phasemation PP-200 cart ). Both are working like a charm. The PP-200 is the best bang for the buck MC I have listened to.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Phasemation seems to be gathering a bit of a following with their phono stages and cartridges. After reading Shakti's phono adventures and how he ended up with the mighty EA-2000 it piqued my interest in Phasemation. I was looking for a tube alternative to my SS Accuphase C-37 and it had to have 3 inputs. Up came the EA-1200.

EA-1200 -

1. NON-FEEDBACK LCR EQUALIZER DUE TO TUBE TYPE UNIT AMPLIFIERS COMPOSED WITH TWO MONAURAL BLOCKS​

• A transformer equivalent to T-1000 is built in and all three inputs can be switched to MC or MM for balanced inputs. In addition, Phasemation adopted the BAL/UNBAL switch for countermeasures towards noises when an unbalanced connection is made on the MC.
  • The non-feedback SRPP-type amplifying circuit of ECC-803S which has an excellent transient response and an outstanding reputation for sound quality plus the low impedance output cathode follower due to ECC-802S are together adopted as a unit amplifier. You can enjoy the large dynamic range and its glossy and lively sound quality that is possible only in vacuum tubes.
  • The LCR type is adopted for the equalizing circuit. Power loss and inductive noise in the signal line can be minimized and sound quality deterioration can be suppressed by adopting the LCR type which can reduce the impedance of the signal system. The information obtained is outputted from the last stage without any losses by adopting large coils, high quality film capacitors, and so forth.
  • Three types of equalizer curve switches are installed. The RIAA for stereo, Mono 1 (for use with DECCA label and so forth) and Mono 2 (for use with Columbia label and so forth) can be selected. Mono1 and Mono2 are for monaural use only. This enables a higher fidelity playback for both the DECCA and Columbia labels.

2. POWER SUPPLY WITH DIRECT HEAT RECTIFIER TUBES 5U4G COMPOSED OF A MONAURAL BLOCK USING A HIGH-CAPACITY R-CORE TRANSFORMER.​

For the rectification circuit, an R-core power transformer with excessive capacity is used and a rich rectification circuit is used for each independent left and right power supplies by using two choke coils and rectifier tubes (5U4G) which in principle do not generate switching noises. Furthermore, the power supply transformer and choke coils are magnetically shielded to provide a cleaner and stronger power to the amplifier. In addition, a 3-terminal regulator DC ignition system is used for the heater power supply of the amplifier achieving a high S/N ratio.

How does it sound -

difficult to describe. Silence is the first thing I noticed. This is below whisper quiet. the music flows with purity, the sound staging and details are pretty amazing, especially in the mid range and vocals. The bass is very fast and nimble which was the biggest surprise for me. This is certainly no rolled off, flabby bass tube phono stage.
This phono stage just seems to enable you to listen to the music more and for longer periods. that for me is the most pleasing part. Sounds excellent with the Lyra Etna SL and Ortofon A90. I will set the Lyra Atlas Lambda SL and SPU up over the weekend to hear how these sound.

only had it for a week, so more to come. Would luv to hear from other Phasemation owners.

RitJp3S.jpg
x03ehY2.jpg

lwxzSEh.jpg
5VRESRz.jpg

pM59R70.jpg
Underneath your Technics turntable I see two dark objects. Would those be Shakti EMI stabilizer stones ? If so, what benefits do you observe, with them sitting below you turntable?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

EA-1200 -

How does it sound -

RitJp3S.jpg
x03ehY2.jpg

lwxzSEh.jpg
5VRESRz.jpg

pM59R70.jpg

Thank you for the nice report out!
The next upgrade level of the EA-1200 will come hopefully soon. Phasemation told
me, that the second PSU for the EA-1200 is under development, so an additional channel seperated PSU will become available soon (similar to the former EA-1000). This will close the gap to the EA-2000 a little closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Underneath your Technics turntable I see two dark objects. Would those be Shakti EMI stabilizer stones ? If so, what benefits do you observe, with them sitting below you turntable?

They are indeed. They slightly damp the platform below the turntable.

edit, I removed them and actually prefer it without them. in 6 months time I may change my mind again :)

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thank you for the nice report out!
The next upgrade level of the EA-1200 will come hopefully soon. Phasemation told
me, that the second PSU for the EA-1200 is under development, so an additional channel seperated PSU will become available soon (similar to the former EA-1000). This will close the gap to the EA-2000 a little closer.

That will be interesting.

What would a 2nd power supply in theory performance wise add to the phono stage?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
What would a 2nd power supply in theory performance wise add to the phono stage?
It should improve top-end clarity and dynamics -- in theory, as you mentioned!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I had the chance to compare the EA-1200 and EA-2000 in my main system against three other great phono stages https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...aring-5-phono-stages-in-my-home-system.34341/ The EA-1200 was the less expensive of the 5 but was in the same league except for the EA-2000 which was on the top. Should I get a new phono stage it will be the EA-2000 without any doubt.

I have the little brothers, the EA-350 and EA-320 in my secondary and office systems. Both are connected to Sculpture A SUTs (Silver SUT for the EA-350 with a Lyra Etna cart and Mini Nano for the EA-320 with a Phasemation PP-200 cart ). Both are working like a charm. The PP-200 is the best bang for the buck MC I have listened to.

Yes I read that DCC - it was helpful. EA-2000 was a bridge too far cost wise :p

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
After about a week and half I don't quite have a handle on what this phono stage is doing as it is a chameleon - but it's so much fun learning.
Never really been a fan of MM phono + SUT in the past, however after trying the Phasemation T-550 that changed my mind to be a little open.

This thing is so silent it's eerie. I keep thinking it doesn't really have a lot of bass until a recording shows it has low bass big time and its fast - what it doesn't seem to have is mid bass pretending to be bass. Not sure how I feel about that at moment, but I feel like I am learning more about some of my fav recordings.

This thing is so clear and pure with so much information in the mid range it's intoxicating. This is not your warm cuddly fat bass tube phone, this is fast, pure and captivating.

to be continued.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
@Rawlit I followed Rawlit's lead and bought an Umbilical power cable kit from Revelation Audio. very well made and uses the same Japanese connectors Phasemation uses.

very impressed, has added some additional bass weight, depth and slam that is welcome. Zero downsides.

very happy and has brought the EA-1200 up another level

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have just ordered the 2nd power supply for the EA-1200. The PS-1200.

Should be here sometime in January :)

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I will be really interested in hearing about your results.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I will be really interested in hearing about your results.

Me too, not really sure what to expect - I am loving the EA-1200 with RA umbilical chord so far.

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Hi. I am interested in this phono stage. But I read that the loading value is fixed at 117.5 ohms. I wonder if this is a deal breaker for many?

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi. I read that the loading value is fixed at 117.5 ohms. I wonder if this is a deal breaker for many?
interesting.
where did you get this ii formation?

The EA-1200 has the T-1000 step up integrated, which will work, according to Phasemation technical information, with carts between 1,5ohm and 40ohm coil resistance.

I tried MSL (1,5ohm) and DL103 (40ohm) .
Phasemation carts do have 4ohm and do fit very good to their step up

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hi. I am interested in this phono stage. But I read that the loading value is fixed at 117.5 ohms. I wonder if this is a deal breaker for many?
Means it is a 1:20 step up into 47k. Thankfully this is pretty flexible pairing with many lomc.

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Shakti, the impedance range is 1.5 to 40?. This is different from the loading impedance.

I read it here: https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2021/4/29/phasemation-ea-550-phono-amplifier

Thank you very much for your kind of cooperation.
We imagine you want to know the input impedance of the MC input of phono
amplifier.
In case of EA-200 and EA-300, input impedance of MC input is 470ohms due to
the semiconductor amplifier.
For EA-350, EA-550 and EA-2000, input impedance is a 117.5ohms due to the MC
transformer.
Anyhow all of input impedance can't be changed.

Best Regards
Phasemation

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I compared the CC-1000D against the CSPort stock cable and the Black Cat Graceline Level 2 and Level 3. It is a pretty good cable at a fairly reasonable price. I opted for the the more expensive Black Cat Graceline Level 3 from the late Chris Sommovigo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing