Pass Lab owners - Check in!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Spending the weekend with the XP30 and XA100.5. If all goes well, I plan on ordering the XS300, XP30 and XP25 Monday. I was told 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Keep us updated Frank. Would love to read your take on the XS300.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Spending the weekend with the XP30 and XA100.5. If all goes well, I plan on ordering the XS300, XP30 and XP25 Monday. I was told 3-4 weeks for delivery.

I'd love to hear some knowledgable comments about the Pass XS amps. As a very content owner of the XA200.5, I wonder what more these can do.

I have a few misgivings about the new XS amps. First, their price is quite extra-ordinary, and puts them in the same company as some very top offerings from a number of other manufacturers, tube and solid-state alike. But, if you are looking for the last SS amp, this is probably it. Second, their heat output seems to be almost 50% more than the XA200.5. The XA200.5 get very, very hot, almost too hot for the summer. But if your room is large, you live in moderate climate, and you have good ventilation, this should be OK. Last, I have my amps in a power conditioner, which works very well with them. I'd be concerned personally that the increased power demands of the XS300 would overwhelm the power conditioner.

One thing I would advise, is not to discount using a tubed preamp. I think the XS series has much better impedence numbers, opening-up options. I find the BAT Rex provides just the right touch of texture and depth, and allows the flexibility of switching between a more transparent set of tubes vs. a slightly warmer and more forward set of tubes with the flip of a switch. Good luck.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
If First Watt products fit under this, then I have a First Watt M2 Power Amp in my system driving my OMA New Yorker speakers.

Rich
Absolutely! Designed by Mr. Pass Labs himself. Pass Labs for extra high efficiency speakers, I think, probably as pure amplification as you can get.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'd love to hear some knowledgable comments about the Pass XS amps. As a very content owner of the XA200.5, I wonder what more these can do.

+1. As someone who looks back over Forte 4, earlier Krell amps, Boulder 2060 and the Gryphon Antileon and Gryphon Colosseum...as some of his favorite SS amps of all time...i realize there could well be a correlation between my personal preferences and Class A SS. So i too would enjoy hearing more about the Pass XS series!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

+2

I am intrigued as well.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I have a few misgivings about the new XS amps. First, their price is quite extra-ordinary, and puts them in the same company as some very top offerings from a number of other manufacturers, tube and solid-state alike. But, if you are looking for the last SS amp, this is probably it. Second, their heat output seems to be almost 50% more than the XA200.5. The XA200.5 get very, very hot, almost too hot for the summer. But if your room is large, you live in moderate climate, and you have good ventilation, this should be OK. Last, I have my amps in a power conditioner, which works very well with them. I'd be concerned personally that the increased power demands of the XS300 would overwhelm the power conditioner.

One thing I would advise, is not to discount using a tubed preamp. I think the XS series has much better impedence numbers, opening-up options. I find the BAT Rex provides just the right touch of texture and depth, and allows the flexibility of switching between a more transparent set of tubes vs. a slightly warmer and more forward set of tubes with the flip of a switch. Good luck.

Unfortunately, not too many people have had the opportunity to listen to the XS amps yet. The people at Pass say the differences between the XS300 and XA200.5 are not small, but I would expect them to say that.

I've been listening to the XP30 with the XA100.5 since yesterday afternoon. In my opinion, the XP30 is an excellent preamp. I don't think it gives up much, if anything, to my ARC Anniversary preamp.
The Pass combination is absolutely wonderful.

As for the heat, I've been using ARC Ref610s for the past 4 years. It's like having a blow torch in the room with you. My room is 30x22 so with the help of a good AC unit I can live with it.
I use a Torus Power 60A conditioner with automatic voltage regulation for the amps. It handled the Ref610 monsters very well.

I've had a lot of problems with the Ref610s and before that with the Ref210s. Even my Anniversary preamp has gone back to ARC a few times in 3 years. After 25 years I believe I'm done with tubes. I'm looking forward to just putting on a record, sitting down and listening without having to worry about what's going to happen with the tubes.

I can hopefully give you guys some feedback regarding the XS300s some time next month.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've had a lot of problems with the Ref610s and before that with the Ref210s. Even my Anniversary preamp has gone back to ARC a few times in 3 years. After 25 years I believe I'm done with tubes.

I think I hear an echo...

I'm looking forward to just putting on a record, sitting down and listening without having to worry about what's going to happen with the tubes.

It is a wonderful feeling, trust me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Unfortunately, not too many people have had the opportunity to listen to the XS amps yet. The people at Pass say the differences between the XS300 and XA200.5 are not small, but I would expect them to say that.

I've been listening to the XP30 with the XA100.5 since yesterday afternoon. In my opinion, the XP30 is an excellent preamp. I don't think it gives up much, if anything, to my ARC Anniversary preamp.
The Pass combination is absolutely wonderful.

As for the heat, I've been using ARC Ref610s for the past 4 years. It's like having a blow torch in the room with you. My room is 30x22 so with the help of a good AC unit I can live with it.
I use a Torus Power 60A conditioner with automatic voltage regulation for the amps. It handled the Ref610 monsters very well.

I've had a lot of problems with the Ref610s and before that with the Ref210s. Even my Anniversary preamp has gone back to ARC a few times in 3 years. After 25 years I believe I'm done with tubes. I'm looking forward to just putting on a record, sitting down and listening without having to worry about what's going to happen with the tubes.

I can hopefully give you guys some feedback regarding the XS300s some time next month.

Frank...i hear you...I first heard tubes in 2000...the CJmv60 which i was comparing to Krell 300 integrated and CJ 2500 (SS)...was not close for me. It was a revelation and i took the mv60 home. The dealer (with whom i still business) said you will at some point go back to SS...i thought 'no way'. Sure enough the mv60 is gone...and a SS Class A amp in its place. I still have CJ pre, and Zanden tube DAC...but i am contemplating a Stahl-Tek (SS) DAC...which would take me from about 15 tubes in 3 components to 2 in one component.

I have been very fortunate with my tubed equipment...i actually had nearly 1 year of trouble with a 14-yr old SS amp...but in general, i know something of how you feel about tube 'maintenance'.

Very much look forward to reading more about your experience witih Pass. i have never heard so this is as close as i can get!

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
I am running a Pass X250 and a Pass X150 amplifiers with Focal 1038beII towers and 1008beII center. M2tech young dac with hirez files from pc. Currently looking for tube or SS pre-amp with ht pass through.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I am running a Pass X250 and a Pass X150 amplifiers with Focal 1038beII towers and 1008beII center. M2tech young dac with hirez files from pc. Currently looking for tube or SS pre-amp with ht pass through.

The current Pass Labs XP-10, 20 and 30 all have theater pass through.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Been running my Sony SS-M9ED with pass labs amps for the longest time.
These speakers were originally voiced with aleph 1.2 monoblocks.
I have much more humble aspiration. :p

Audio-only System:
Digital - EMM Lab TSDX / DAC2X
Pre-amp - Pass Lab XP20
Power-amp - Pass Lab X350
Speakers - Sony SS-M9ED
Interconnect - Straightwire Crescendo XLR
Speaker cables - Straightwire Crescendo double runs
Power Cords - Factory supplied Hirakawa (from Sony) straight into wall mains

My grouse? I wish equipment makers would do sonically better with lesser number of chassis....

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have a Pass Labs XVR1 three way active crossover that I am using to tri-amplify the IRS Series V.

Each driver column has its own set of amplifiers. The system has six channels of amplifiers.

NO passive crossovers in the system.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Pass review in video

Zach just finished his XA100.5 review, makes me want to buy it myself.

Pass Labs XA100.5 review

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
My Pass Labs lineup is as follows: XP-25, Rushmore Speakers- made by Pass Labs

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing