Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Gents,
Has anyone tried to compare spdif and usb input on Pacific?Should there be any significant sonic differences between the two?
I am trying to compare usb to spdif (with matrix audio x-spdif2 between source and Lampi spdif) on input, but can’t tell any substantial difference. What is your experience on this?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Gents,
Has anyone tried to compare spdif and usb input on Pacific?Should there be any significant sonic differences between the two?
I am trying to compare usb to spdif (with matrix audio x-spdif2 between source and Lampi spdif) on input, but can’t tell any substantial difference. What is your experience on this?
I just tried SPDIF from my Lucas Audio Music Server to Pacific with better results in clarity of music.

Reactions: Alrainbow and JSA

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
What spdif cable if I may ask?
Lucas from LDMS told me I did not need to order any exotic SPDIF cable so I didn't. I ordered the:
GoldRCA03 3' RCA-RCA Gold SPDIF Cable from Sweetwater.

Reactions: Alrainbow

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I just tried SPDIF from my Lucas Audio Music Server to Pacific with better results in clarity of music.
Been doing the same - I find SPDIF gives a bit more lifelike presentation (wider sound stage, slightly more realistic timbre), but USB has more detail. My main frustration is that SPDIF won't do DSD into the Pacific.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I switched from the Amanero USB input to spdif a few months ago. The server was the determining factor (Antipodes K50). Initially I was using the usb out with a Shunyata Omega usb, which is very good. After reading that Antipodes recommends the spdif output
if possible (it’s reclocked unlike the usb), I purchased an Omega spdif RCA. It’s a more organic sound with a little better depth. Again, the server was the determining factor. There was not a large delta.

I’d say either input on the Pacific is high quality. I’ll go back to usb if I get an Extreme, which has the best usb output card. This would mean a JL Sound card then, or an excuse for a Horizon:)

I don’t do high rate dsd or pcm, so the lower bandwidth of spdif wasn’t an issue here.

The spdif cable mattered very much. I tried others.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I switched from the Amanero USB input to spdif a few months ago. The server was the determining factor (Antipodes K50). Initially I was using the usb out with a Shunyata Omega usb, which is very good. After reading that Antipodes recommends the spdif output
if possible (it’s reclocked unlike the usb), I purchased an Omega spdif RCA. It’s a more organic sound with a little better depth. Again, the server was the determining factor. There was not a large delta.

I’d say either input on the Pacific is high quality. I’ll go back to usb if I get an Extreme, which has the best usb output card. This would mean a JL Sound card then, or an excuse for a Horizon:)

I don’t do high rate dsd or pcm, so the lower bandwidth of spdif wasn’t an issue here.

The spdif cable mattered very much. I tried others.
Or swap out your amanero USB card for the new JL Sounds USB card. BTW, it is my understanding that all new Pacific DAC's now come with the JL Sounds USB card. I did that to my Pacific so that I could have full TAS function with my Extreme and Pacific

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Or swap out your amanero USB card for the new JL Sounds USB card. BTW, it is my understanding that all new Pacific DAC's now come with the JL Sounds USB card. I did that to my Pacific so that I could have full TAS function with my Extreme and Pacific
Yes, that is true. For me it’s a small thing like the usb card that could determine my path forward. As long as I’m shipping back to Poland, why not go Horizon? But I need to choose, Horizon first; or Extreme first. I eagerly await your report on the Horizon In a couple weeks:)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You don’t need to ship back to Poland. I had mine done a few miles from where I live. See if Fred or Lukasz will sell you the board and then get a skilled technician to remove the Amanero and solder in the new board. Do NOT try it yourself no matter how good you think you are

Reactions: bhschap

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I am using spdif connection between my Audio Aero La Fontaine cdp equipped with Esoteric VRDS neo transport and Pacific DAC to play my cds ( simple Stereovox BNC cable).I like it a bit more than ripps of cds to wav played from W20 to Pacific DAC via usb .

I have the impression that it is a bit less ” computer” sounding. Btw Lukasz Fikus told me once that he also uses upgraded Esoteric VRDS neo to Pacific with spdif .

In my Pac I have Amanero board but with improved clock and power supply, FTA Callisto cable.
However , the big advantage of usb connection is the possibility to play hirez files , be it PCM up to DXD or DSD up to 512 fs.

Recent Studio Master recordings , especially in DXD wav and double and quad DSD are audibly better than cds played over spdif , as always - to my ears and in my system. I try to buy files in their native format , without conversion and transcoding.

I intend to keep both ie cd transport and the server/ transport just for the versatility.
My best sounding digital albums are PCM/ DXD or dense DSD recordings played from W20 via usb to Pacific DAC though.

Streaming only as a support source.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
You don’t need to ship back to Poland. I had mine done a few miles from where I live. See if Fred or Lukasz will sell you the board and then get a skilled technician to remove the Amanero and solder in the new board. Do NOT try it yourself no matter how good you think you are
Tuckia can't wait to try out his new welder

Attachments

• B09A33B3-82E4-4F75-8DE2-9DA2BB5B93AD.jpeg
    B09A33B3-82E4-4F75-8DE2-9DA2BB5B93AD.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 2

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Gentlemen,
Thanks a lot for your valuable input.
@Tuckia - your Shunyata Omega cable looks more like audio device rather than the spdif cable;)
From my comparisons this week USB (to JL Sounds usb in my GG2) and spdif from server via Matrix x-spdif2 sound almost identical. Maybe a tad bit more analogue alike from spdif - so very much in line with your impression above. Many thanks for all the comments.
I should have a chance to do some more comparisons on Pacific later today.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Tuckia can't wait to try out his new welder
I can do anything, despite what my wife says ;) . RAU, would you recommend TIG process or fluxcore? What shielding gas? Maybe I’ll just come over and trade cards with yours, it’s going back to the motherland anyway, LOL

For me the Horizon maybe further out on the horizon, but the Extreme is now extremely close;)

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Gentlemen,
Thanks a lot for your valuable input.
@Tuckia - your Shunyata Omega cable looks more like audio device rather than the spdif cable;)
From my comparisons this week USB (to JL Sounds usb in my GG2) and spdif from server via Matrix x-spdif2 sound almost identical. Maybe a tad bit more analogue alike from spdif - so very much in line with your impression above. Many thanks for all the comments.
I should have a chance to do some more comparisons on Pacific later today.
Yes, I often confuse my Shunyata signal cables with my gas siphon hose, but the Shunyata’s are quieter.

Reactions: abeidrov

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Dear Alex, what are the different gain levels for the two settings? Is it measured in volts?

Yes I’m Volts. 2V and 6V but it’s customisable I guess. Also this is valid for the output tubes you chose initially. Would you change afterwards the output tubes the absolute voltage will be different.
I would suggest to target 6V with the tubes with the highest gain ( KR242) ( or go with the Volume control option)

Alex

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
The lower voltage setting is to prevent overloading a downstream active preamp when using high gain tubes like RK/KR 242 and RK/KR PX25.
Of these, the KR242 has the highest gain and the RK242 the next highest.

If you have a passive preamp this shouldn’t be an issue. Some active preamps have very high input capabilities as well and won’t be a problem, but it’s best to consult the manufacturer on this to be sure.

Reactions: Alrainbow

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
System.jpg

For those of you at the Long Beach show, be sure to check out the Pacific 1 Ballroom where our system is really cooking right out of the gates. This system is featuring our Pacific DAC and is sounding phenomenal already.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I am still using Pacific. Have tried Horizon already 2 times, and while it is a fabulous dac I still prefer my Pacific with KR 242 and directly into Wavac 805m monos. Sounds fabulous to me and don't feel a need to upgrade. I love triodes!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing