Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The GG3 also seems very good. Never liked the GG2.

Difficult to beat 242 Lampi when on song. You compare the horizon you should try the Mullard El34 output and not the KT ones

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Heard the incredible Horizon last year Steve Williams sound palace but still love the magical sound my Pacific delivers using a Psvane Acme 274b and a pair of Takatsuki 300b’s…

Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am still using Pacific. Have tried Horizon already 2 times, and while it is a fabulous dac I still prefer my Pacific with KR 242 and directly into Wavac 805m monos. Sounds fabulous to me and don't feel a need to upgrade. I love triodes!
What tubes were used in the Horizon?
You might have compared your Pac with the best matching tube combo for your system/taste against the Horizon with stock tubes?

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
What tubes were used in the Horizon?
You might have compared your Pac with the best matching tube combo for your system/taste against the Horizon with stock tubes?
Let me check on the tube set in Horizon and revert. I think first attempt was with stock tubes, but with second attempt (few months later) Lampi team has put some really top notch tubes in there (couple of different sets). As a result I have purchased KR5U4GRK and EML 5U4GM (Mesh version) for my Pacific:), but not the Horizon :D
Both rectis are as good as Acme 274B from Psvane, but with slightly different signature. I would probably rate EML5U4G even slightly above ACME 274B.
Horizon for sure has some qualities that Pacific doesn't have, but on the overall basis I still prefer triodes :).
I know how enchanting EL34 can be when properly applied (in tube amps), but I still prefer 805 or 845.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Can folks who are still using and loving their Pacific, please share their favorite tube complement?

As an aside, anyone looking to sell a pair of RK242s, please PM me.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Can folks who are still using and loving their Pacific, please share their favorite tube complement?

As an aside, anyone looking to sell a pair of RK242s, please PM me.
My favorite tube in the Pacific is still the RK 242

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Agreed. But a very rare tube now, sadly. I rotate between UX-301s (very cheap and good sounding), 45s, and 300Bs. None have the dynamics of KR 242s, but that tube appears to be unobtanium. My favorite rectifier is the Western Electric 274B. Makes a fabulous if pricey combo with the KR 242s.

4dr.no

Nov 8, 2016
New Jersey
New Pac owner here with a question.

Is it possible to keep the volume set at a certain db after turning back on from Power Off mode, or does one need to adjust from -68 dB every time Power on (I have to adjust to -8dB)?

Thank you.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Reactions: iain

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
what total ordered quantity is enough? I would need 4 and maybe a spare.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
New Pac owner here with a question.

Is it possible to keep the volume set at a certain db after turning back on from Power Off mode, or does one need to adjust from -68 dB every time Power on (I have to adjust to -8dB)?

Thank you.
Hi,

It should keep the vol setting if you turn it off or actually put into Stand by mode via remote control. If turned off via back flip switch (master on/off) then it does not keep the last volume setting used and volume needs to be cycled back upon turn ON.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
what total ordered quantity is enough? I would need 4 and maybe a spare.

go over to that thread. I am not involved but I posted the link since people were talking about it.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Wow, great to know. I’m also a huge fan of the DHT sound of the Pacific. Looks like the upgrade to the Pacific 2 is 4000 Euros, which seems not unreasonable. You do lose the LAN input. It’s OLED display. Not sure if the volume control is a standard feature. Might consider sending mine.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Heres the link https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/pacific-dac

"Any Pacific DAC no matter the age or variant can be upgraded to the "2" status for a fixed price of 4000 Euro. We replace the whole digital section and also the LAN input is gone - we remove the LAN input in favor of the AES/EBU, TOSLINK, SPDIF and USB.
Older USB cards get replaced with the newest JL-USB.
Shipping and customs fees are in addition to the 4000 Euro fee.
The upgraded DAC gets a 3 years warranty (excluding tubes).

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hi all, there is new pacific 2 dac with new engine eleven-p. Has anyone heard it ? Seems like new horizon engine paired with triode output might be a killer ? I am not a fan of horizon, sorry. Still prefer big triodes
The Pacific 2 does not use the Horizon engine. It will be a big upgrade to the original Pacific, but it will not be on the level of the Horizon.

• Love

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
This is great. Shows what Lampi is made of! bravo.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
YES - that Lukasz would take effort to upgrade the Pacific is remarkable and very appreciated.
DHL picked up mine for delivery to Lampizator factory today :D
Please report as soon as you get your baby back :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing