Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
My understanding is that Lampi wanted something to compete with the ultra-detail boys, and so developed the PAC. It's somewhat inevitable that a more detailed DAC will sound "lighter / leaner / thinner". In some systems this isn't an issue and the PAC will sound a significant improvement on the GG2. If other components in the system are on the leaner side, the PAC may tip it over the edge and the GG2 will be preferred.

I've heard it both ways; in my original system of Berning Quadrature amps, I compared GG2 to PAC and preferred the GG2, as did others who heard the comparison. With the Stern / Heisenberg however, the PAC is a meaningful improvement, hence my upgrade.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
My understanding is that Lampi wanted something to compete with the ultra-detail boys, and so developed the PAC. It's somewhat inevitable that a more detailed DAC will sound "lighter / leaner / thinner". In some systems this isn't an issue and the PAC will sound a significant improvement on the GG2. If other components in the system are on the leaner side, the PAC may tip it over the edge and the GG2 will be preferred.

I've heard it both ways; in my original system of Berning Quadrature amps, I compared GG2 to PAC and preferred the GG2, as did others who heard the comparison. With the Stern / Heisenberg however, the PAC is a meaningful improvement, hence my upgrade.
Nice line up HeiHei, so you got the Sterns … Great!!!!. Bonzo rates it up there with the best ,that particular combo along with the PAC . What cables are you using ?

Reactions: bonzo75

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I’m sure this info is somewhere but having a brain fart finding it. Does anyone know the output impendance of SE Pacific from RCA? I know it will depend on the tubes but curious of the general range.

thanks in advance!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Nice line up HeiHei, so you got the Sterns … Great!!!!. Bonzo rates it up there with the best ,that particular combo along with the PAC . What cables are you using ?
Skogrand Beethoven speaker cables and Z-Axis interconnects. Still playing with power cables. Thanks for the complement!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Skogrand Beethoven speaker cables and Z-Axis interconnects. Still playing with power cables. Thanks for the complement!
Ah-ha!!! Another fellow Z:Axis cable owner! Fantastic! Heihei...you have heard more high end audio than most, and I have always enjoyed reading about your adventures in high end audio.

Would love to hear more about how you discovered Z:Axis and how they compared for you with other major cables. I got to know Paul because of his isolation/cabinetry which is exceptional. And then he kindly offered me an opportunity to listen to his reference I2S cable...and after 8 years...I found something that clearly exceeded the Zanden bespoke I2S cable that comes with their 4-box reference digital.

For me:
- absolutely maintained the tonal, organic qualities of the Zanden
- but it was a more resolved, more resolute version of Zanden's original voice
- it was a combination of lower noise floor...but I think it is a lot more than that. Lower noise floor (for me) is about decay/detail coming forth that was obscured by the noise floor
- in this case, it was also existing choral voices in the background, or whispers during house music (that you can definitely hear but where the words are not clear)...suddenly become easy to hear rather than mumbles

Really impressive work...particularly that this cable was at the beginning of the system (ie, at the source), and it translated all the way through the system this remarkable resolution while ensuring the magic of Zanden's natural, organic tonality and lifelike sound was entirely maintained...and now enhanced due to this resolution

When you have some time...would appreciate reading your own observations about Z:Axis.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Ah-ha!!! Another fellow Z:Axis cable owner! Fantastic! Heihei...you have heard more high end audio than most, and I have always enjoyed reading about your adventures in high end audio.

Would love to hear more about how you discovered Z:Axis and how they compared for you with other major cables. I got to know Paul because of his isolation/cabinetry which is exceptional. And then he kindly offered me an opportunity to listen to his reference I2S cable...and after 8 years...I found something that clearly exceeded the Zanden bespoke I2S cable that comes with their 4-box reference digital.

For me:
- absolutely maintained the tonal, organic qualities of the Zanden
- but it was a more resolved, more resolute version of Zanden's original voice
- it was a combination of lower noise floor...but I think it is a lot more than that. Lower noise floor (for me) is about decay/detail coming forth that was obscured by the noise floor
- in this case, it was also existing choral voices in the background, or whispers during house music (that you can definitely hear but where the words are not clear)...suddenly become easy to hear rather than mumbles

Really impressive work...particularly that this cable was at the beginning of the system (ie, at the source), and it translated all the way through the system this remarkable resolution while ensuring the magic of Zanden's natural, organic tonality and lifelike sound was entirely maintained...and now enhanced due to this resolution

When you have some time...would appreciate reading your own observations about Z:Axis.
I'll DM you, as this is def getting off topic - suffice to say I agree!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Quick poll of Pacific owners:

1 - I am definitely getting a Horizon, sound unheard.
2 - I am thinking of getting a Horizon but I need to hear it first.
3 - I am thinking of getting a Horizon as long as Ked says it sounds nicer than the Pacific.
4 - I love my Pacific. No need to upgrade.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
5. I love my GG, no need to upgrade

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
6 - I have decided tubes/valves are pants and I am going SS.

7 - All digital is pants and tubes/valves can't save it. I'm selling to buy more vinyl.

• Haha
Reactions: Uk Paul

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Quick poll of Pacific owners:

1 - I am definitely getting a Horizon, sound unheard.
2 - I am thinking of getting a Horizon but I need to hear it first.
3 - I am thinking of getting a Horizon as long as Ked says it sounds nicer than the Pacific.
4 - I love my Pacific. No need to upgrade.
Apart from the obvious evidence of option no 3;) my vote goes for the option no 2.

Reactions: Golum and dminches

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You can set up a formal poll.
Based on my limited experience at shows it is hard to imagine something better than the Pacfic.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
8 - The opposite of whatever Spirit recommends… Only kidding Marc ;)
Haha, follow your heart...and your wallet will follow.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
9 -depends on price and trade-in value.

Reactions: Charlie B.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
9 -depends on price and trade-in value.
We already know that information.

The pricing committee has fixed the price of Horizon at 44 thousand Euro (49 k US$) which is netto of sales tax (US) or VAT ( Eu). The Golden Atlantic, Golden Gate and Pacific products will maintain the list price value (regardless of what was paid) as a trade in ticket towards the Horizon. There will be no depreciation or "second hand" loss on old gear. This trade in offer is limited to 6 months of 2022 which means till the end of July, as shipping of Horizon will begin around February 18th. after Florida Expo Show (debut). First demo units will be available for testing from January 8.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
I do have alot of faith in Lukasz and his team and suspect he has created something quite special. Definitely excited to hear others' first impressions when they get a chance to listen. So I guess option 1.5.

While the upgrade cost is obviously not negligible, the list price value trade-in is quite remarkable and a 6 month window as the dust settles. At least that is me trying to justify the idea to myself. If I am honest, I think when I first read the announcement, the cash was already gone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing