Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The biggest disappointment so far have been the Kron RK 300B’s, especially given their cost. Though to be fair they probably haven’t been burnt in long enough yet (<20 hours).
They really need some hours on them, but I preferred the RK 242 and the PX25 over the RK 300b

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I won't say limited, but the mids were fattened up and stage pushed forward. I sensed that in Al's system (Big 7) with the recti and in two Alieno systems with the 300b in the power amp. The KR and Westinghouse recti were more linear and the Elrog and KR 300b were more linear as well, with the Elrog being the best of those. The RK recti is currently my favorite

Thanks, Ked.
What about other Music Genres than all-in orchestra?
Did you listen to different Music as well?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, Ked.
What about other Music Genres than all-in orchestra?
Did you listen to different Music as well?

Well there were vocals. For other genres it is your preference, some might like it pushed forward and a closer stage. I prefer a more mid hall stage with linearity and less similarity across different tracks

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Thanks for your experience :)
This is very interesting for me, because ears I trust tell me that the fugly Frankenstein (aka 596) is extremely good :eek:
The Chatham is the Potato Masher, right? IME very good, but not in the league of the RK KR 5u4g :)

Which tubes are folks matching the 596 with though? To be honest I only ever tried it with the 45's and the 101D's, and discounted it after that, so maybe I've not given it a fair crack of the whip.

Yep, the Chatham is the potatoe masher - I think its superb with the UK 300B's, there's not a lot to choose between that and the RK 5U4G. Again the RK 5U4G probably produces better results with other tubes.

With these things we also have to factor in that we all have different DAC's, not just different models, but also different variations within the same models, not to mention different pre-amps with different input impedances and different gain structures, not to mention different amps, speakers and rooms - it makes it really tricky to compare different experiences.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Where are you located, Wookii?
Any possibility you could try the RK PX25 from someone close to you?
That one could possibly match your taste

I'm in the UK. I think I'm maxed out on the tube and recti combos I want to try for now. I did also want to try the RK PX4 as Luckas recommended that to me, but again I need to be at a better baseline on the basic 101D's in terms of overall performance.

Once I can do that, I can then work up from their I think. and see where I gain improvements (and maybe look to thin down the number of tubes I have once I've settled on a number of favourites). At the minute I feel that base performance isn't where it needs to be, so I feel like I'm chasing my tail at the moment.

Reactions: christoph

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
They really need some hours on them, but I preferred the RK 242 and the PX25 over the RK 300b

Is there an RK version of the 242 available now then? Last time I asked Eunice she said they didn't have plans to make any, so that's good to hear.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Is there an RK version of the 242 available now then? Last time I asked Eunice she said they didn't have plans to make any, so that's good to hear.
I happen to own not only the RK 242 but also the RK PX25 ;):):cool:
PS: the RK PX4 didn't move me at all :rolleyes:

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
I happen to own not only the RK 242 but also the RK PX25 ;):):cool:
PS: the RK PX4 didn't move me at all :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I've just found them on the Best300B website. Have you compared the RK 242's to the original KR 242's? Do the RK version produce the same very high output from the DAC?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Oh yes, I've just found them on the Best300B website. Have you compared the RK 242's to the original KR 242's? Do the RK version produce the same very high output from the DAC?
The RK 242 has a little less gain than the regular KR 242.
I had the regular 242 and loved it. My favorite output tube in the GG and I then got the opportunity to swap for the RK Version which I did.
So no absolutely direct comparison but I would say the RK 242 is definitely not worse than the regular 242

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The biggest disappointment so far have been the Kron RK 300B’s, especially given their cost. Though to be fair they probably haven’t been burnt in long enough yet (<20 hours).

They won't change IMHO with more hours. At least mine didn't.

The one technically big advantage you get with RK tubes is less microphony. Tap your DAC when compared to other tubes with no sound going through your speakers and the gain up high. Even then, IMHO, they don't compare as well for microphony as some NOS offerings.

A lot of the personality Lampis exhibit comes from the fact that they are, in fact, technically crap. They work off the acoustic feedback feeding the inherent microphony of the valves installed right into the musical output of the DAC. Much like a record players, which are also crap for this same reason.

Just saying it like it is...:)

My EML AD1s are very microphonic. However when used with all tube amplification they sound fantastic. Technically rubbish, though.

Last edited:

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
"ancillary streaming hardware" for me is SoTM SMS200Ultra > SoTM txUSBUltra plus external clock, plus power supplies for all three. I've had enough of all the boxes, I just want to go ethernet directly in to the DAC.

Incidentally I don't have a GG1, but a B7.

I loaned a SE B7 years ago, one of the original versions with the point-to-point wiring, and it was magical in the three dimensional image it created in my system. Three years later, and the balanced B7 I have now (a more updated version with the printed circuit board), whilst nice, delivers nowhere near the magic of that first unit. I'm kind of hoping that if I eventually move to a GG2, I can recapture some of that magic. Who knows, maybe it was just exclusive to that point-to-point wired version. It is a bit annoying that Lukasz doesn't keep a consistent design within the same model.

Wookii, are you sure this unique 3D image was due to B7 p2p ?

On one hand, some say p2p is the best topology possible - ok.
On the other hand, you might be looking at the wrong direction. It was a long time ago when you've had B7 p2p and some major changes in your system occurred since that time.

Surprisingly, my new cables: ethernet and telephone (RJ11) provide better 3D image you refer to.

Anyway, just want to make you less confident about the reason why you don't have that 3D image.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I’ve not found that to be fair. The Tak 274b does seem to be more etched and produce more resolution - I wouldn’t call it thick sounding, if anything it’s on the leaner side to me. One of the main things I’ve found in this voyage of discovery is the recti needs to be matched to the main tubes, I haven’t found a recti that works well with all output tubes, and visa versa.

The Tak sounds superb with the 242’s for example, but sounds terrible with the 300B’s, where the Chatham or 5U4G sounds much better.

I've also found great synergy with the 242s and the Tak recti. On the other hand, the RK300B and the RK5U4G are great bedfellows. 242s and RK are a bit of too much of the same thing - details galore, but a little too strident if the rest of the system isn't tuned to complement them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've also found great synergy with the 242s and the Tak recti. On the other hand, the RK300B and the RK5U4G are great bedfellows. 242s and RK are a bit of too much of the same thing - details galore, but a little too strident if the rest of the system isn't tuned to complement them.

242 worked well with RK in audioquattr system. Think this is system specific

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I would guess both. If you do upgrade and get one with a VC, PM me and I will walk you thru how to tune it to how you like it with VC and other tricks.

Winson, I bet some of us here would also like to hear your tuning advice tricks! Please share.

I'm using the VC on the Pacific and think it's great. I really don't feel the need for a pre amp. I am curious to sometime try Al's suggestion to use in conjunction with Roon dip vol control. Controversial, but I'm curious.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm using the VC on the Pacific and think it's great. I really don't feel the need for a pre amp.
I was very positively surprised by the VC of the Pacific.
Much better than I anticipated o_O
But I would still give the edge to a very good tube preamp when a palpable deep soundstage is high on your wishlist :cool:
In all other aspects, the VC of the Pacific is just as good as my very good preamps :eek:

Reactions: wisnon and Golum

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I was very positively surprised by the VC of the Pacific.
Much better than I anticipated o_O
But I would still give the edge to a very good tube preamp when a palpable deep soundstage is high on your wishlist :cool:
In all other aspects, the VC of the Pacific is just as good as my very good preamps :eek:

Yes, I’m sure that’s true. Right now I can’t afford a high-end preamp, but someday I’d love to experiment!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, I’m sure that’s true. Right now I can’t afford a high-end preamp, but someday I’d love to experiment!
That's the beauty of it.
The Pacific VC sounds so excellently that without comparison you won't miss anything.
If you get accustomed to the Pacific VC and sometime in the future are curious to try an excellent preamp, then do it but be sure you have the finances in place ;)

Reactions: wisnon and Golum

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I'm curious about the comment about 20 bit/ 176 kHz being the future of pcm? I though we were regrettably locked into multiples of 44.1?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Listened to my friend David's Pacific DAC 2 days ago.
A Furutech 4.1 powercord with NCF power connectors was used on the Pacific.
Another friend brought a Vertere HB powercord to the gathering.

20190706_173857~2.jpg

All people, particularly David were in awe!
The Vertere powercord brought out all the potentials of the Pacific!
Vertere may not be a popular cable brand in N Am but this is the best performance of the Pacific I have ever heard.
Fabulous!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing